Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is the tti worth it?

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Is the tti worth it?
on: November 12, 2012, 04:17:28 AM
Hey guys. I have a wave, surge and supertool 300 right now. Is the charge tti worry buying if I have the wave besides for the blade upgrade?

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Is the tti worth it?
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 08:20:48 AM
I think so. But then I like the Charge better any way. One can not have to many MT's.    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Offline jets1230

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 01:22:35 PM
Had them and all i can say is no unless u got the money to waste! U got your bases covered with sum good tools! Its just a fancy wave or i call it special wear tool your afraid to use!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 02:18:03 PM
In my mind the Wave/Charge variations are probably Leathermans best tools. I've had a lot of disappointments from Leatherman, and have got rid of more of their tools than any other, but the Wave and Charge are an excellent tool design with comparatively few quality issues from what I can discern. If someone wanted to own just one Leatherman I'd recommend the Wave/Charge series everytime.

That said, I personally don't think the TTi is worth the increase in price over the Wave. I can find better things to spend money on than a slightly different blade steel (when the other is perfectly adequate), a bit missing out of the pliers (crimper), and a bit missing out of the blade (gut hook)

The TTi has a lot of fans though, and no doubt what I've typed above has got a few people cringing. Like all tools, personal taste generally accounts for more than specifications and statistics

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 02:36:50 PM
I like the TTi better, but I dont know if I would say it was worth it or not.  The handles are more comfortable, but it's also slightly thicker than a wave, which put me off a bit.  My wave had sharp edges which I didnt care for either, and the TTi is more comfortable for sure.  If you had none and wanted to get the best Id get a TTi, but you already have a wave so.. its a hard call.  If it helps I started with a wave, and now have 2 TTi's and sold the wave.  Its a tough call, but the blade is pretty nice.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 03:41:44 PM
I have a Wave and a couple of TTi's, and if I was buying another I'd get a Wave (unless the TTi's were a similar price).  Of course if you need the gut hook or crimper or just want an MT with titanium sides then that is a different story ...... then of course you should buy a TTi  :pok:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 04:04:57 PM
for me its the wave,well unless the tti ever came up at a good price, there silly money over here  :-\ for me the wave is still pretty much one of the best MT's out there and both old and new model have given me great service so for me was a big gamble to sell mine this year so i could try out other makes and models and also trying othere makes other than leathermans, but i can see me ending up with a wave after all this testing as such a great tool and that diamond file is amazing and others just seem crap in comparison  :-\ would i pay more for those scales and blade material  :think: probably not but still the tti is a great MT if picked up on the cheap  :tu:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 04:48:08 PM
Yes, but especially if you pick one up cheaper used ;)

Love mine, think it's a top tool.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 06:05:39 PM
I have a Wave, and never even considered the Charge. The additions aren't worth it for me for the saame reasons 50ft-trad listed. Gutting blade and crimpers are not for me. I do wish the wave had morwe rounded handles, and it did pinch me a couple of times.

But, if I were to get one, I'd wait till jen-jen134 at ebay got some bacik in stock. I know some people here got them from her/him? for $55 used but in good condition.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 06:13:26 PM
I have a Wave, and never even considered the Charge. The additions aren't worth it for me for the saame reasons 50ft-trad listed. Gutting blade and crimpers are not for me. I do wish the wave had morwe rounded handles, and it did pinch me a couple of times.

But, if I were to get one, I'd wait till jen-jen134 at ebay got some bacik in stock. I know some people here got them from her/him? for $55 used but in good condition.

Yep, I think they must have been factory refurbs, but otherwise perfect. I bought a charge from that seller for $60 and it was mint, but the little accessories came in a shrink wrapped bag, so I think it was a factory refurb.  Bascially new though, that is a seller to watch for.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 06:25:20 PM

Yep, I think they must have been factory refurbs, but otherwise perfect. I bought a charge from that seller for $60 and it was mint, but the little accessories came in a shrink wrapped bag, so I think it was a factory refurb.  Bascially new though, that is a seller to watch for.
+1 for jen jen. I got a MUT for $70, looked totally new

-1 for the charge, but I prefer the ST300 over the wave anyway, so my opinion is severely biased.

though this may be worth it.... : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leatherman-Charge-TTi-Multi-Tool-24k-Gold-Series-Damascus-Ultimate-Edition-/251181375071?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7b939e5f

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 06:26:59 PM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 06:47:57 PM
If , like many of us ; you already carry a folder - no . The Wave is a much better buy . The Ti scales , and the fancy steel are nice , but un needed .

If you can score one , Charge Ti was a much better tool . I owned three , all of which were gifted to others .

Chris

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 07:49:40 PM
What's the difference between the ti and the tti. I always thought they were the same

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 07:52:07 PM
What's the difference between the ti and the tti. I always thought they were the same

Blade steel, gut hook, and plier head crimper are all i can think of.  The Ti was 154cm, TTi s30v steel.

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 07:57:24 PM
Totally off topic, but I went to the link dos provided and that seller has like endless possibilities of MTs in 24k. Some really cool looking stuff to me.

If I had to do it over again, I probably wouldn't have bought my Charge Ti the way I did. I had no MT on me and needed one to go fishing with and bought it in desperation. The Charge was a new toy to me and not a tool I guess. It sits in my spare tire bag on my bicycle now. My Wave gets much more use than my Charge as it's in my backpack EDC. The only thing I wish I had on my Wave is a belt clip.

Suzuki
There's lots different about the Ti from the TTi, click the links to discover them.

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 09:02:37 PM
I also think Ti and TTi are different generations of the same Charge model; I think TTi is the newest.

PC-dos or MS-dos Stealth??   :D :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 10:21:31 PM
Can someone PM me a link as to where to buy a brand new ti? I think that's the tool I need...

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 10:32:18 PM
Can someone PM me a link as to where to buy a brand new ti? I think that's the tool I need...

Good luck with that as it's retired. Maybe on flebay or amazon?

Here's one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leatherman-Charge-TI-multi-tool-Retired-/271099975187?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1ed15613

Good luck bidding!¡!

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/bad/gangster-with-gun-smiley-emoticon.gif

Terry

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 11:30:15 PM
I saw that one on eBay earlier. Looks like the tip was damaged. I'm hoping to find one new! With the way I love my wave and the upgraded steel, I'd give up my wave and st300 for one!

us Offline Hypnos3510

Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 03:40:12 AM
I have both of them , but probably would never had gotten the TTi's if I didn't find a good deal on them (both of them was about $90).  I Edc my TTi for most of the week, when I dont have that I have wave. You can't go go wrong with having too many Leathermans

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

us Offline stealth007s

Is the tti worth it?
Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 03:43:21 AM
I have both of them , but probably would never had gotten the TTi's if I didn't find a good deal on them (both of them was about $90).  I Edc my TTi for most of the week, when I dont have that I have wave. You can't go go wrong with having too many Leathermans

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Is there such an animal as too many Leathermans?¿?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Terry

Offline mollo

• New User
Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 08:55:13 PM
Hey guys. I have a wave, surge and supertool 300 right now. Is the charge tti worry buying if I have the wave besides for the blade upgrade?

Hi Biker!

You just have surge & wave, I don't think TTi would made the difference.

Let's have a look around WingMan or SideKick, these models will complete your collection and surprise you, because they are cheap and well designed.

Keep the ST300, that the one everyone must keep over else.

PS: If it's for putting under the Suz GSX seat for repair, have also a look for a Cruch.

Good choising !

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 10:46:35 AM
I just got a Ti from Millhouse and love it,it does feel more solid in the hand due to those Ti scales and more comfy for sure,i do prefer it now over the wave as far as comfort and style go so its a big thumbs up from me  :tu:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #23 on: December 24, 2012, 06:51:46 PM
Yeah, those 24k gold variations at Texas Tool Crafters are sweet.  I would love a damascas bladed Charge with some gold plating as well.  I also liked the looks of the Wooden handled Charge.  Nice, but expensive :ahhh
K-Tibbs

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #24 on: December 24, 2012, 07:30:23 PM
Just my two cents, but I have had both the Wave and a Charge TTi, and found that they function exactly the same.  For normal use, you don't need a TTi over a Wave, you won't notice enough of a difference to justify the money.  Unless you just want a new tool, which I completely understand.  So, get one!  Or don't, whatever you want!

Offline steveje

Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 08:43:49 PM
I had a wave and sold it to buy the Ti. I was glad I did, it feels more solid and comfortable  in my hand. 

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 08:52:27 PM
In my opinion, you get probably 90% of the functionality of the Charge TTi in a Wave.  You lose the guthook (which I like), the S30V PE (which is of little issue to me) and subjectively, maybe some handle comfort.   

Those additions come at a fairly steep premium price increase. I wouldn't pay full price for a TTi I was going to use daily.

I agree with mercury about functionality.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 09:57:19 AM
Why Thanks Nate!!

You realize you have a North American Meetup invite under your avatar that is more than 18 months old?  Just sayin'.  Maybe you want it there, who knows?

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 02:20:58 PM
Maybe he's just nostalgic :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 03:58:27 PM
If we can get the remodelling done in time, I'm hoping to put a 2013 date in there.  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%