Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Yeoman-Lite

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Yeoman-Lite
on: November 17, 2012, 02:44:20 PM
Just picked up a Spartan Lite off evilBay ...  Looking at what's in the parts box, and if I break that down, I could build up a Yeoman with the LED Lite/Philips driver layer rather than the magnifier... hence the Yeoman-"Lite" name.

Could be a handy little thing to keep in the car.

us Offline WoodMan

Re: Yeoman-Lite
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 02:54:15 PM
Absolutely awesome idea.

de Offline crackout

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 04:28:18 PM
That's a nice idea. The LED is a lot more useful than the mag glass. :angel:
Say my name.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 05:07:19 PM
here is a scientist lite:

here's more like the style you are describing, except with scientist:

in my mind it would be a better mod if the LED was more useful, but that's just me...

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 07:27:09 PM
That's a nice idea. The LED is a lot more useful than the mag glass. :angel:
Sorry to disagree, but I feel exactly the opposite!  The LED is just bright enough to illuminate the end of the bit driver on my CT Lite, so unless it's totally pitch black, it's not much of a flashlight. 

At my age, and with my eyesight, the mag-glass is a much more useful tool to me.  And, I have plenty of real torches, 1xAAA and 1xAA, that I can use when I need light. 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 09:34:44 PM
Have to agree with Heinz on this one.I have done that mod,more or less.The LED is pretty gutless,its easier,cheaper,and brighter just to have a faux photon on a lanyard with a standard SAK.

I have used the LED on my Huntsman Lite to good effect before,but that was only after lending my AAA torch to another member of my party.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 11:20:10 PM
 :imws: I've got lights attached to a few of my SAKs, and it's a far better option than the integral light

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 08:19:27 AM
Just to be clear, I do think the LED is a nice addition to the CT... If you're someone who really does do a lot of work inside computer cases, I can see how it would be invaluable.  It would be good for checking a map, finding a keyhole, and so on, but I can't see how it'd be useful for much more than that.

For me, it's really not necessary.  My smallest lights are a set of genuine photon freedom micros... I've got two of the NVG ones, a red one, and a plain white one, all with covert noses.  I keep the white one on an S-biner 0 so I can move it where I need; keys, a zipper pull, on a SAK, where ever.  Generally I carry it with either my S4 or my Exec in a pocket, or put it on a zipper pull in my EDC bag.

Now, if they would put a higher output 3 mm Nichia in a larger model, like a 111, then they could put it in a scale, and have enough room to put something like a CR2016 in, so it'd have decent output, and a usable run-time.  Even better if they used one of the warm white ones.  If Vic or Wenger were to do that, then I wouldn't need a photon at all.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%