Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

84/91mm Combo Tool in Mods

us Offline WoodMan

Re: 84/91mm Combo Tool in Mods
Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 04:35:43 AM
I have drilled quite a few 84mm combo tools. I use cheap 7/32 drill bits i buy at Walmart. Heat is the enemy i run my drill press as slow i can. When the bit gets starts to get hot i let it cool some drilling more. It is slow but it works. I tried using oil while drilling but then my bits did not cut very well. Using charcoal lighter fluid worked pretty good it helped keep the bit cool and it still cut well. Just go slow.

Do you mean 7/64"?  7/32" would be far too big.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 06:22:34 PM
Yes you are right it is 7/64. 7/64 bits a little bigger than a 2.5 but they work fine. 7/64 bits are  easier to come by here in the US.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline WoodMan

Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 08:53:18 PM
I have drilled quite a few 84mm combo tools. I use cheap 7/32 drill bits i buy at Walmart. Heat is the enemy i run my drill press as slow i can. When the bit gets starts to get hot i let it cool some drilling more. It is slow but it works. I tried using oil while drilling but then my bits did not cut very well. Using charcoal lighter fluid worked pretty good it helped keep the bit cool and it still cut well. Just go slow.
When you say "go slow" do you mean to use a slow rotational speed on the drill, or use a slow feed, or both?

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 06:12:51 PM
Both the Swiss steel is very hard and heats up fast if you don't over heat the bit it will keep cutting and not burn up or break. When the bit is about to go though you have to go even slower so the bit does not hang up and break. If you are careful you can get one hole with a new bit. The bits i buy come in two packs that way i have a back up.
pc
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD