Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRKT Get a way driver question

au Offline Cyclone82

CRKT Get a way driver question
on: November 19, 2012, 07:32:23 AM
So i got  a Get A Way Driver today (Torx) and i want to remove the bottle opener but none of the torx bits even fit ??? It says it comes with T5, T6, T8, T10 Yet none seem to fit their own screws on the driver!. I also tried them on a Gerber vise and i did not have the right size for that either. So do i need T7 and T9 ???

Anyway its a good little tool WAY smaller than i was expecting. I want to get another one and the screw driver version too.

They seem to use their own small special bits. Can you buy bits like this separately? I think I read somewhere that TopPeak bike tool uses same bits?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: CRKT Get a way driver question
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:38:23 PM
I will have to check mine (standard screwdriver version) but I thought they were standard 1/4" bits?

If they are the same bits that are in the Zilla Jr then I don't think they conform to any standard sizing.  As I understand it, after the success of the Zilla and Guppie they ordered more but at a 17% reduction, not realizing the factory would take it literally and reduce the standard bit size by 17% (or whatever the actual number was- for some reason I have 17% in my head for this) as well.  This was why the Get A Way Driver actually exists- if you take the bit holder out of the front you'll notice that the end fits in the smaller Zilla Jr slot, so it works as an adaptor to use standard bits with the Zilla Jr.

As for it not being the right sizes to fit their own tools, well I can't comment on that as I don't have the Torx versions, but that does seem odd.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 07:26:44 PM
As for it not being the right sizes to fit their own tools, well I can't comment on that as I don't have the Torx versions, but that does seem odd.

Def

Well you can't use a Leatherman bit kit on your Leatherman screws also. ;) No T8 nor T10 security in it. :D

au Offline Cyclone82

Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:41:29 AM
Yes the bits are normal 1/4 drive but they are really short and have a ball detent. Normal bits are too long to store in CKRT handle and dont have the ball detent to hold them in anyway. I am pretty new to Torx and as none in the tool fitted much else i was wondering if there are metric and imperial torx like allen keys but when i checked Wikapedia, no thats not the case. The ones i probably just need are T7 and T9 in the sub T10 range.

I read complaints about the chuck being loose in the end, yeah i noticed this but if you really jam it in tight its is held in very tight and takes effort to remove. Really happy i got this, should have got one earlier. I thought the LED was quite bright until i compared it to one of those County Comm special opps led lights, man they are bright for a 5mm, i could not believe it.

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 12:38:00 PM
I have the torx version and the next smallest bit which must be the T6 fits and I can take away the bottle opener.
That said I think the bits are a bit "skinny" if that makes sence. Makes the fit a little loose.
At work I have a couple of more expensive torx drivers and I rember comparing them before that they have a much better snugger fit.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%