Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC, actual use or just in case?

KDX · 73 · 9072

ca Offline KDX

EDC, actual use or just in case?
on: November 23, 2012, 06:59:17 AM
I was going through some of the posts and checking out the cool stuff people are carrying and started thinking about whether people carry items mostly just because they may need it of if they actually use it on a regular basis. I've also noticed that some people carry multiples of certain things. Personally, I think I'm more of a just in case kind of guy. And I like cool stuff.

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: EDC, actual use or just in case?
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 08:30:54 AM
That's an interesting question :D

I've always tried to carry minimum stuff or small things so that I have more room in my pockets/purse. Anyway, I'll go through my latest EDC picture I posted in the EDC picture thread and tell you what I use when..

Wallet & phone- well, obviously I use them daily, lol.
Olight i3 - I use it daily, in the evenings, at home. I don't have a night lamp and I'm lazy to go turn on the... main lamp in the room often.  So this one gets a lot of use even at home.

Tan007 TK703 - this already is perhaps jUST in case as it's my newest light and I enjoy playing around with it. In a few months when all the joy & excitement is over, I might put it aside or swap it with other items, i.e. carry only one flashlight with me.

Leatherman Squirt P4 - I thought I'd carry it just in case, but a day hasn't gone by without me using the knife or a screwdriver or something.

Chapstick - I use it daily, too.

Now the things on my keys are already JUST in case and I take them only when I go outside, s so we may call these my back-up/just in case Micra and Olight.

So, it turns out I have more things that I actually use and the just in case stuff is only on my keys :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 09:06:21 AM
Chapstick daily
watch never comes
lm p4 not a lot but there if needed
sog ppp the same

that's normal use but when i do the handyman job i use my sog powerlock most of the day,

oh and micra for cutting grapes off for school lunches lol
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:33:59 AM by Zed »

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 10:26:26 AM
A good question, and one I struggle with occasionally. 

I typically carry a few small things that do end up using regularly, like my Vic Compact, or Executive.  Normally, I pocket carry it with a small light, like one of my Photons, or Preon 1.

In my EDC bag I keep things that I "might" need, but only use once in a while, like a larger, more powerful torch, and a full size SAK or MT, and a folder, like my Endura 4 or my Stretch 2.

I usually only carry a full size SAK or MT on my person when I'm out and about, or when I'm pretty sure I might have a need for it.  I don't usually carry one around the house unless I'm working in the yard, the garage, etc.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 10:34:21 AM
I try to have a good blend of capabilities to deal with whatever arises dependent upon where I will be / what I think I might face. Rarely does a day go by when I do not use a knife, scissors, phone and a torch so these are essential ingredients to the mix. It's rare I need a philips driver, but I do like to have one for when the need arises and it's a frequent element of whatever combo I'm carrying. It's rarer still that I need a saw or file, or even wear a watch, so they tend to be carried less frequently

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 01:39:46 PM
Both... big Venn diagram involved here :D

I try to trim the stuff down I don't use, especially if it would be easily replaced in any kind of emergency.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 05:52:00 PM
I know from about 45 years of EDCing , the surest way to miss having an item is not to carry it . I don't use stuff like eyeglass screwdrivers , or tweezers , or even scissors every day - but you sure miss them when you don't use them !

Chris

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 09:46:17 PM
Knife, flashlight, and a portable tool (SAK most of the time) are staple items even though they may or may not be used. Others are used often or removed, like lip balm in winter, and bite ointment in summer etc.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 11:00:26 PM
My Vic Tourist used daily during the week, Chapstick daily,no need to use my torch as i use the flashlight app on my i-phone which i have on me constantly but still carry my Fenix. Weekends my Vic OHT and Ranger are always with me, My watches which include my Timex Ironman are for during the week and my Vic 24421 analog for the weekends, all other stuff is for  " just in case "

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 02:12:43 AM
The two EDC items that get the most use are both on my keychain - Tank007 E09 and a Nite Ize Inka pen.  At least every other day.  Knives?  MTs?  Not as much (though my minichamp came in very handy building my new computer).

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 04:18:16 PM
Both... big Venn diagram involved here :D

LOL! I was having the same thought.

It would be a mix of things that I use literally every day (knife, SAK), those I use once or twice a week (Leatherman, the calender in my wallet), those I use maybe once a month but are handy enough that I really do want them at hand (headlamp, EMT-type shears), and "emergency" items (FAK). Yes, with a full water bottle and all my pocket items (like it is when I go to bed), my EDC bag comes in just over 10 pounds and other than a couple of medications and the road map, I usually use all of it at least once every six weeks.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 05:22:54 PM
Apart from keys and phone I usually have on me a tank007 E09 or similar, a Victorinox Manager or LM Micra and a folding knife. All are used to some extend since my set-up is pretty minimalistic, eliminating things I do not really use.

I mainly, however, use the scissors, torch, pen and the knife, usually because I am too lazy to go get their bigger brothers.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 07:05:42 PM
On the farm, my Charge ALX is used ALL the time.  Pliers, saw, guthook and PE knife, followed by the drivers.  My Atwoods/PocketTool X Piranha/PocketWrench II gets used a lot, but maybe not everyday.  Flashlight every day.

At work, my Atwoods and my Vic exec get used nearly every day.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 07:20:41 PM
80% "feeling dressed", 20% use. I work in an office, so I don't use my EDC "all the time", but I notice it really quickly if I don't have a SAK or something.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 11:41:13 PM
i always feel happier if i have my swisschamp on me at all times, it gets used !
i've lost count of how many times it's got me out of trouble or saved the day (at home and away from home)
and as i'm getting older i like not having to go fetch dedicated tools just to do a 'little' job, specialy if it involves climbing a flight of stairs, or even standing up once i'm down on my knees some days  :facepalm:
ooh and that magnifier is sooo handy with my failing eyes  :whistle:
so in answer to the question, i carry 'just in case' but i do get a lot of times when i need a tool, and the 'champ' covers the most bases for it's weight/size i think (it's even fun to just fiddle with if you get bored :D )
and it's UK legal !
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:44:17 PM by Taxi Dad »

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 12:53:12 AM
Some things like a Quark Mini AA or 123, or knife get used everyday.  On the other end of the scale, I carry a Fox 40 micro whistle everyday that I recall using on only two occasions in the last several years.  Yet I still carry it just in case, and when I did use it to signal my kids, I was really glad to have it.  Come to think of it, I carry a gun all day, everywhere it is legal (and try not to go places its not legal), and I have never used it.  And I pray to sweet baby Jesus that I never will.  Some some of my EDC items are truly utilitarian, and others simply assuage my subconscious fear of not being able to manipulate what I find in a dark and cold world.

us Offline getahl

Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 05:16:27 AM
Not counting wallet, keys, and phone, my typical pocket dump consists of a knife of some sort, a Fenix E01, SAK Classic, bandana, small notebook, pen, Uncle Bill's tweezers, chapstick, and a 4-way screwdriver. The flashlight, chapstick, pen, and Classic get used daily, for various things, and are the most used part of my EDC. Flashlight gets used a lot when walking the dogs after dark, or in the morning, when I leave for work at 5:00. The scissors on the Classic get used a lot to open coffee packets at work, as does the toothpick.

The knife (currently a BM Minigrip or Buck 303, depending on my mood), bandana, and notebook (Moleskine Cahier) get used several times per week if I need to break down a box at work, use a makeshift napkin/towel/placemat/bib for my son (19 months), or just jot something down I don't wish to forget.

The tweezers and driver are both strictly 'just in case' kind of items. They're flat, so they  store easily, and marginally useful (re: better than nothing). I'm not always near tweezers when I get a splinter, and the ones on my SAK are next to worthless.

The above items are strictly on-person stuff. For instance, I listen to the BBC World News podcast every morning, but I leave my iPod in my backpack after I'm done. I carry a few other bits and bobs, but I'm not always near my backpack, either.

scotland Offline hansthebear

Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 01:32:18 AM
I carry loads of stuff for work, torch used the most probably, then tape measure then lm wave.

Wallet phone and keys are standard but id never think of picking up a multitool or knife if i was just heading outntonthe shops or something.  That said theres a basic sak in the car which is usually only ever used for opening stuff!

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 02:47:36 AM
EDC is essentially the same as Load out.  Load out is calculated and chosen based on expected need.  One may also wish to carry equipment that may be useful based on the available space for carry and the weight/size of the equipment to be carried.

Even at the best of times you can't prepare for every eventuality, but each of us carries what we feel will best fit our needs depending on what we might be doing.  So our EDC can vary greatly for each of us.
:)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 03:25:07 AM
I'm right there with the Venn Diagram crowd. I have a handful of items I need on a daily basis, and a big pile of stupid crap I'm likely to go 2 to 5 years or more and never need.

I needed super glue once when my hubby's shoe came apart in an airport. Now, I carry a little tube of super glue. What are the odds of me ever needing it again?

Some of the things seem strange (like granola bars), but I've had a few times when my bloodsugar plummeted, and man, was I ever grateful to have something to eat.

So... some of both, but by weight, I could probably get by with 1/5th what I carry. Having a purse doesn't help the situation. 'Wait, I could cram a grappling hook in there still!'

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 06:52:32 AM
I'm right there with the Venn Diagram crowd. I have a handful of items I need on a daily basis, and a big pile of stupid crap I'm likely to go 2 to 5 years or more and never need.
Ah, you were a gamer!  D4 + 1 !!!

My general approach to all this is to keep a minimal tool set on me at all times, usually pocket carried, like a small SAK (Exec, Compact, and now a Yeoman), a small torch (Photon or Preon 1), and sometimes a small MT (S4, Style PS, or S2).  That way, I always have at least something with me to use that's relatively painless to carry.

In my EDC bag I typically carry a full size SAK (CT41, CT Lite, or Work Champ usually), a larger and more powerful torch (usually my Zebra SC60w), and a full size folder (most often my Endura 4, sometimes my Stretch 2 or Tenacious).

I also keep a couple of separate, dedicated use packs, loaded and ready to go.  I have a nice little hydro pack that I use for day hikes and take with me on short hikes or when gathering/processing firewood when camping that is also outfitted as a PSK, with a SAK, torch, small fixed blade, etc. in it.  What I call my "adventure pack" is a larger weekender/summiting pack that I similarly equip, but also usually carry a few extra things in as well, like my Sven Saw, my Golok, my old Moonstone bivy, and so on.  That way, when I need, I can just grab the appropriate bag for my needs (EDC bag, hiking pack, adventure pack), and know that I'll be set for most whatever I'll encounter that day, or for that event, whatever.  (And yeah, wanting to stuff more crap in is always a temptation, but I've been pretty good about keeping my loadout focused yet diverse enough that I usually have something for most things that happen, but still not have way too much more than I need...)
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 11:48:41 AM
My general approach to all this is to keep a minimal tool set on me at all times, usually pocket carried, like a small SAK (Exec, Compact, and now a Yeoman), a small torch (Photon or Preon 1), and sometimes a small MT (S4, Style PS, or S2).  That way, I always have at least something with me to use that's relatively painless to carry.

In my EDC bag I typically carry a full size SAK (CT41, CT Lite, or Work Champ usually), a larger and more powerful torch (usually my Zebra SC60w), and a full size folder (most often my Endura 4, sometimes my Stretch 2 or Tenacious).

I also keep a couple of separate, dedicated use packs, loaded and ready to go.  I have a nice little hydro pack that I use for day hikes and take with me on short hikes or when gathering/processing firewood when camping that is also outfitted as a PSK, with a SAK, torch, small fixed blade, etc. in it.  What I call my "adventure pack" is a larger weekender/summiting pack that I similarly equip, but also usually carry a few extra things in as well, like my Sven Saw, my Golok, my old Moonstone bivy, and so on.  That way, when I need, I can just grab the appropriate bag for my needs (EDC bag, hiking pack, adventure pack), and know that I'll be set for most whatever I'll encounter that day, or for that event, whatever.  (And yeah, wanting to stuff more crap in is always a temptation, but I've been pretty good about keeping my loadout focused yet diverse enough that I usually have something for most things that happen, but still not have way too much more than I need...)

I like this approach.  If I were more organized or less impulsive/undisciplined or whatever, this is what I would do too.

Everytime I try setting this sort of thing up, I end up raiding a bag for something I need and KNOW will be in there instead of looking for the spare one that's stored somewhere.  Then I forget to repack it where it came from and bam!  I'm off somewhere and realize the knife/pliers whatever isn't in the bag because I didn't put it back.

Then I end of unpacking and repacking the "pre-packed" bag before every outing "just to make sure".  After a bit of this, I realized, my pre-packed bags weren't saving me anytime at all. :facepalm:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 05:25:25 AM
I carry a small amount on my person: LM Wave, LM monarch flashlight, Vic Supertinker, space pen(bullet), and wallet.  The ONLY thing that gets used ever single day no matter what is the flashlight.  Even my wallet stays in my pocket on some days.  The Supertinker is next, used most every day with a rare exception here and there.  I use it so much that I would miss it if I had to go an hour without it. 

My Wave is more of a security blanket, but one that has saved the bacon a ton.  Most of my Full size MT's fit that category since I am not a tradesman or maintenance worker(wish I were though, much more fun).

My bag is another story.  There is stuff in there I NEVER use, and stuff that sees the light many times daily.  It's a compromise, and no one set up is like any other.

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 08:12:16 AM

I like this approach.  If I were more organized or less impulsive/undisciplined or whatever, this is what I would do too.

Everytime I try setting this sort of thing up, I end up raiding a bag for something I need and KNOW will be in there instead of looking for the spare one that's stored somewhere.  Then I forget to repack it where it came from and bam!  I'm off somewhere and realize the knife/pliers whatever isn't in the bag because I didn't put it back.

Then I end of unpacking and repacking the "pre-packed" bag before every outing "just to make sure".  After a bit of this, I realized, my pre-packed bags weren't saving me anytime at all. :facepalm:
It's taken me a while, but I've got a pretty good set-up with each of my bags, so I rarely have to fiddle with them.  And while I must admit I do occasionally fine-tune them, I'm really good about not raiding them for the stuff they have.  I think that's primarily because I've put a lot of thought into what each one has, and the tools are such that I've already tested them with my needs and usage habits so that I already know the stuff in them isn't going to meet my needs as well as the stuff in my "rotation".  In other words, the tools I do keep in my various bags/packs is pretty specific to the needs I tend to have when using that bag, like my modded Vic Hunter. 

Stuff that's in my rotation lives in a small plastic chest of drawers that sits near my night-table.  I typically put my pocket EDC on it at night, so when I wake up in the morning, I can grab what I've already got set up, or make quick changes before I start my day.

But in general, my approach is to find dedicated homes for my various tools, torches, etc., rather than keep them all stashed in one place.  I keep my ST300 in the glove box of my wife's mini-van, my Crunch lives in my bike tool kit, my CX lives in my EDC messenger bag, and so on.  Sometimes it does mean I forget where something is and think I've lost it for a while, but in the long run I find it to be less work than trying to organize everything in one place, and then figure out what I want to have with me for any particular outing, event, whatever.

Offline hiljentaa

Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 01:43:48 AM
I try to carry the absolute minimum of things I actually need/use every day.

Pen. This gets used every single day multiple times per day. Forms to be filled out daily at work.

Watch. Gets checked dozens of times per day. I'm a driver - being on time is important.

Flashlight. Gets used mostly in the morning (pre-sunrise) doing the pre-trip inspection on my vehicle. Also nice to have for miscellaneous situations.

Tool. I don't do a lot of hard work on a day-to-day basis, but I do use various implements several times per week. Worth having with me every day.

Wallet. Unfortunate need of modern society.

Those are the basics that I have on me every day. The specific items change from time to time, but that general genre/outline of items is consistent.

I guess I have the most 'fun' with the tool genre (which is why I'm on this forum!). I can get by contentedly most of the time with a Micra or Alox Cadet, but I do like carrying full-sized multis from time to time. That genre of tool has definitely come in handy before for mechanical issues.

I personally don't 'get' the load outs with huge redundancies or items that are obviously only actually used once in a blue moon. I just wouldn't want all that junk on me all the time.

Plus, who wants to look like a dorky Batman wanna-be? That's my biggest fear with this stuff.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:48:30 AM by hiljentaa »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 03:42:02 AM
That's the nice thing about a purse... noone sees my crazy.  :D

I'm actually about to take off for a trip... including comercial flight. I utterly refuse to check luggage, and there aren't a load of MTs available for carry-on.

I'm cutting my EDC to bare bones (Leatherman Style PS, and Preon 1). I'll see how it works.

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Re: Re: EDC, actual use or just in case?
Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 05:03:47 AM
That's the nice thing about a purse... noone sees my crazy.  :D
That's funny.  I'm sometimes jealous that women get to carry purses, but I find I can get by just by on pocket and belt carry.  My car however is ready for the world.

:)

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #27 on: December 25, 2012, 05:45:35 PM

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #29 on: December 26, 2012, 04:09:00 PM
I think I am going to have to take a look at my "Jack Pack" which is always with me at work and at least in the Car when not at work..I have used most of the items maybe some pics are in order?

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88