Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Digitizing 91mm SAK Liners

WoodMan · 70 · 13641

cz Offline megy023

Re: Digitizing 91mm SAK Liners
Reply #60 on: June 02, 2016, 01:10:42 PM
Anybody alse, who is playing with brass liners?

us Offline WoodMan

Reply #61 on: June 03, 2016, 04:59:34 AM
After I sent the brass sheet and liner files to Great Lakes Waterjet in April 2013, I never heard from them again, despite repeated voicemails and emails.  They still have my brass.  Other Waterjet cutters that I contacted were just too expensive so I kind of dropped the project, although I have made a few more liners by hand. 

However, I recently got a CNC router at work and I've begin to mull over the possibility of making brass liners using CNC.  My experience is with wood, so I've been looking for online guidance on cutting brass but without much luck.  There's lots of information out there on cutting aluminum but little on cutting brass.

Interestingly, GigaHz PMd my only yesterday on this issue and I'd hardly thought about it for three years.

cz Offline megy023

Reply #62 on: June 13, 2016, 09:18:57 AM
Hi,

Yes, I asked GigaHz to contact you.  I wanted to know, if there is any progress, because I am searching for them.

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #63 on: September 17, 2016, 07:56:22 PM
Were CAD files of the liners made available anywhere?  Looks like I may need to hand carve a couple of "Pliers" ones for a mod, and that would seem to be the best way to get a good template  :P.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #64 on: September 18, 2016, 10:07:35 PM
Were CAD files of the liners made available anywhere?  Looks like I may need to hand carve a couple of "Pliers" ones for a mod, and that would seem to be the best way to get a good template  :P.

Would aluminium liners be suitable, or were you looking to make them from a different material?  I've found a couple of pliers liners in the shed - they're yours if you want them.  I'm also working on CAD models of scales at the moment, and could do one for the pliers liners at the same time if you're interested.

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #65 on: September 19, 2016, 12:59:45 AM

Would aluminium liners be suitable, or were you looking to make them from a different material?  I've found a couple of pliers liners in the shed - they're yours if you want them.  I'm also working on CAD models of scales at the moment, and could do one for the pliers liners at the same time if you're interested.

That'd be great  :cheers:.  Much appreciated.  I'll PM.

Having realised I'd need to make some I had thought about using a different material so started re-CADing the JPG of liners above to DXF (using potrace) to then see if someone could cut a full set or three on water / laser / CNC.  The raster to vector results are imperfect, but probably useful for small runs if you're happy to do a bit of hand finishing afterwards from a (say) 1% overscale.  Or they could be tidied up of course.  There's also the DXF of scales from here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,42579.msg683262.html#msg683262 which gives a good base to overlay liner scans onto to graft what's best / needed from each CAD layer into a whole.  Would that be useful for your scales project?

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #66 on: September 20, 2016, 08:37:14 PM
I don't want to fork the thread, but thought this might interest some readers: Laser / waterjet cut SAK liners: anyone want them in UK?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:38:41 PM by Little Tinker »

gb Offline CMP

Reply #67 on: September 20, 2016, 09:17:30 PM
I also don't want to fork the thread but it's good to see other CAD users on here :)

Offline mhds

• New User
Reply #68 on: December 30, 2020, 08:29:41 PM
Hi,
Is this project still ongoing ?   :)
Would it be possible to get the CAD files for the 91mm liners ?

Offline gunthen

• New User
Reply #69 on: May 23, 2023, 01:29:03 PM
Hi, I'm also realy keen to try playing with making some brass liners (~looks deep into the worm hole~). Is it possible to get the dwg / dxf file with the liners?

Much appreciated!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD