Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK Wire Stripper

Offline Fishnuts2

SAK Wire Stripper
on: March 12, 2008, 11:37:19 PM
Would someone post some pictures of the wire stripper and bender in use?  I can't see the use of them.  Thanks!
W

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: SAK Wire Stripper
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 11:41:20 PM
I don't have any pics, but this topic was started the other day and it is quite similar http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,4067.0.html.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 11:57:44 PM
Well i've given it a go, give me a few minutes to sort out the photo's and try and describe it! :) Its really not easy to do it in a lightbox though!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 12:31:48 AM
Well here goes nothing :) I don't claim to be an expert at this and this is my way of doing things, some people may do it differently and good for them! But i hope it helps you :)

The Bender
Take piece of material to be bent and place it so that the place you want the bend to be is in the notch. Hold the tool with one hand and the material with the other.

Then apply pressure to either one or both sides of the material with your spare hand until the required bend is achieved. Some times you may need to hold the material in place until you've started the bend, you can do this with the thumb on the hand that holds the tool, like this

Then keep applying pressure.

And admire your finished product :)

The Stripper
This one takes a bit more practice than the bender. I'm left handed so you may want to reverse the hands in the following instructions or i may be doing it right handed and not realise it!

Hold the wire in your "left" hand at the point you want to remove the insulation from.

Then place the wire into the stripper notch. I then hold the wire in place with my right thumb like so.

Combining these two grips gives this:

Now holding the wire steady with your left hand apply pressure with your right thumb to the wire pushing it into the cutting edge and rotate the tool around the wire. You'll probably need to stop and turn the wire around a bit a couple of times to make sure you've cut all around the insulation, then it should be a simple matter of pulling the insulation off the end.

Hope all that makes sense, kinda hard to describe!
Roadie

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 01:04:40 AM
Well, you are close on the bending.  Try bending the wire towards the screwdriver tip, using the notch as a brace rather than pushing against your fingers on both sides.

I know that doesn't sound like it makes sense, but I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow to illustrate it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 02:39:33 AM
No it makes perfect sense.

I believe that notch is also called wire stripper on SAK, but I have no idea how do you strip wires with it consider it has no sharp edges.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 02:41:12 AM
It works more as a gripper than a stripper.  Cut a slice around the insulation with one of the blades than use the notch to grip the wire and pull it off.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 04:44:49 PM
Well, you are close on the bending.  Try bending the wire towards the screwdriver tip, using the notch as a brace rather than pushing against your fingers on both sides.

I know that doesn't sound like it makes sense, but I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow to illustrate it.

Def

Hmm i'm willing to give that a shot, not that i bend much wire with it but its always nice to know the best way to use it!

Offline Fishnuts2

Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 01:50:44 AM

I believe that notch is also called wire stripper on SAK, but I have no idea how do you strip wires with it consider it has no sharp edges.
My question was about the Notch on a SAK.  I can see now how it might be used.
Thanks guys! ;)
W

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69