Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Opinel fixed blade.

Gareth · 20 · 4774

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Opinel fixed blade.
on: December 02, 2012, 07:37:35 PM
Just tried out the Opinel I got from Mat a few days ago.  I used it to slice up a few potatoes for dinner and it cut like a laser! :o  The combination of a super thin blade and very sharp edge meant that there was almost no resistance at all, I'm very impressed. :salute:

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Opinel fixed blade.
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 08:14:24 PM
Those look cool.  Could you please post a pic of a blade on its side so I can see the thin-ness of it.  Thanks!

SAW

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 09:19:37 PM
Wow, I had no idea that Opinel made fixed blade knives, they look quite nice.  Thanks for posting this :tu:

I'm with sawman, spine shot please :)

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 09:19:57 PM
Mine's in the mail, should be here any day now. Can't wait to get mine!¡! Looks like a quality piece too!¡!

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 10:03:17 PM
I'll try and get a shot, but I have to admit I don't know exactly where my camera is ATM so it'll be on my phone's one. :-\

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 10:30:39 PM
Are they stainless or carbon?

I love thin bladed paring knives. I have two Victorinox parers, and they are wicked snap, you have to be careful with them. Slicing up some veggies or potatoes you have to keep mind of where your fingers are!

This is very very good when it comes to blades.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 02:05:15 AM
These are marked 'Inox' but, according to Mat, they can go rusty in a dishwasher.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Re: Opinel fixed blade.
Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 03:39:00 AM
Mine's in the mail, should be here any day now. Can't wait to get mine!¡! Looks like a quality piece too!¡!

(Image removed from quote.)

Just remember, packages from Australia take longer since they arrive upside down and it takes a while for postal employees to use the machine that reads addresses on the other side!  :P

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 11:49:24 PM
Are those only found in Australia right now? What are the dimensions on those? Are they meant as kitchen utility knives? Do you like Gladiator movies?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 11:57:17 PM
Don't know, but I can't see them for sale in the UK.  Blade is less than 2mm (lets say 1.7mm), blade is 95mm long, OL is 195mm.  Again, not sure but that would be my guess, certainly works very well in that role.  Yes, yes I do.

:D

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 12:17:23 AM
I've got a couple of wood handled paring knives I've set up as eating kit knives.
opi_paring01.jpg
* opi_paring01.jpg (Filesize: 28.21 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 01:17:39 AM
I don't have a wooden one for a side-by-side comparison but I suspect it's the same blade on both, just with a plastic handle.

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 03:19:44 AM
Got my Opi, Cherry Ripes, a Chomp, a MTO sticker and............... the F.R.E.D.!¡!

The Opi will be an excellent addition to our kitchen stable of knives. The Cherry Ripe was (WAS) AWESOME!¡! The Chomp, my wife ate it and loved it (I don't do the caramel thing)!¡! I put the sticker on my iPad Otterbox cover with all the other stickers I've acquired over the last couple of months. Haven't really messed with the F.R.E.D. yet but it's only 8pm or so here, so much more time left in the day. I might go out of my way to try it out to see if it's really as ridiculous as the Diggers say it is.

Such a cool bunch of goodies!¡! Schwanx so much Mat for all this!¡! I'm so glad I could be part of the team this year for Movember!¡! Just wondering though, what was the total of funds raised?

Terry

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 01:16:40 PM
Are those only found in Australia right now? What are the dimensions on those? Are they meant as kitchen utility knives? Do you like Gladiator movies?

Sporky according too the Aussie Opie Rep I spoke too,he said these knives are called Office knives  ??? ??? :D :D. The Rep was selling all their stock as they are no longer stocking Opies. He reckoned the Office knife was discontinued 2 or 3 years ago & he thought they were the only stockist in the world that still had them  :think: :think:

Russell Crow is a tool but I liked Gladiator  :D , he is a bit like Mel Gibson we can claim them as Aussies when we like & palm them off as a Kiwi/Yank respectively when they act like knobs  :P :D :D

I will do some more pics tomorrow  ;) :D.

Just tried out the Opinel I got from Mat a few days ago.  I used it to slice up a few potatoes for dinner and it cut like a laser! :o  The combination of a super thin blade and very sharp edge meant that there was almost no resistance at all, I'm very impressed. :salute:

Glad you like it mate  8) :tu:.

Yep marked as Inox but I do wonder if there is a fair amount of carbon in the blade, given it does rust up a bit :think: :think:.

My test mule like Gareth's takes a wicked edge  8).
My one's edge retention is not stunning though  :think:, I would be keen to hear how yours holds up mate  :think:.
Not sure who or what has managed too notch the test mules edge on my black one  :o :think: :think:. I will give it a good go on the Sharpmaker tommorow.

Got my Opi, Cherry Ripes, a Chomp, a MTO sticker and............... the F.R.E.D.!¡!

The Opi will be an excellent addition to our kitchen stable of knives. The Cherry Ripe was (WAS) AWESOME!¡! The Chomp, my wife ate it and loved it (I don't do the caramel thing)!¡! I put the sticker on my iPad Otterbox cover with all the other stickers I've acquired over the last couple of months. Haven't really messed with the F.R.E.D. yet but it's only 8pm or so here, so much more time left in the day. I might go out of my way to try it out to see if it's really as ridiculous as the Diggers say it is.

Such a cool bunch of goodies!¡! Schwanx so much Mat for all this!¡! I'm so glad I could be part of the team this year for Movember!¡! Just wondering though, what was the total of funds raised?

(Image removed from quote.)

No worries mate  :tu: :tu:.

I think the FRED is loved & hated in equal measures by Aussie soldiers  :think: :think: :D :D 

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 08:40:58 PM
Here's the promised picture of my new Opinel.  Seen here helping me eat some chocolate covered marzipan. :drool:

Seen here side-by-side with a 91mm SAK blade.  BTW, chocolate makes for a very good knife stand if you have run out of hands. :D

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 08:51:09 PM
hott knives
Quality Control
Materials
Design

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 11:04:12 PM
I've got the same timber handle one as Spork.
It's the only one I've seen, it was old stock at the shop I got it from.

It's in my camping/outdoorsy kitchen set, though it would serve perfectly well at home (except my home kitchen is dominated by Victorinox, and they're very jealous)

It's probably my favourite little food prep knife.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 05:56:11 PM
Nice to see you around Nomad. :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 05:57:21 PM
I should add that this little opinel has fast become my 'go-to' kitchen knife. :tu:

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 08:26:53 PM
I should add that this little opinel has fast become my 'go-to' kitchen knife. :tu:

The mrs said the same thing to me the other day.

Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75