Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

84mm ‘Sportshunter’ - but one problem to solve…..

Offline Helvetica Bold

Hi

Just assembled this after being inspired by a couple of 91mm scissors mods that got them them fitting into a 84mm frame. The scissors and spring adjustments seemed to go quite well -although I may have another go just to get the tension a bit better without having to insert a separate spacer. Really happy with the aesthetic and the micrata scales set it off beautifully but there is still a bit of a problem that I can’t figure out. Before I peened the pins there was just enough snap on all tools for me to think it was acceptable however, when tightened down the saw layer now has practically no tension. I noticed this being a slight problem when experimenting with the assembly order etc especially when the third and fouth layers were added. So wondering if the saw really only works as the first layer but not sure why that would be and never really had this problem with other builds. I thought I had solved the problem by adding extra scale liners - which I guess acted as a kind of alox scale alternative but alas the problem re-emerged when peened.

Any ideas why this might be? I know that current 84a are only 2 layers thick max so wondering if the springs/liners are slightly different to those they might have used on the legacy 84s with more layers…any ideas what the problem might be anyone?

I’ll live with it for now but I’ll definitely have to come apart again at some stage if I think I can get that working better.  :dunno:

Offline Cleanser

Re: 84mm ‘Sportshunter’ - but one problem to solve…..
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 03:47:22 PM
They could have made changes to the hole size on the far side pin hole (not center) used to take tension off the pins.

For example - original 93mm scissor spring upon initial release vs. new one. Scissors are now less snappy but they made changes to reduce tension so it doesn’t bend the center spring.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 04:04:15 PM by Cleanser »

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 05:38:52 PM
I feel it’s got to be something like that or something to do with the fact that the saw only appears in the outside layer of current models and how they configure that….don’t want to have to alter another spring if possible but may have to go that route to make it work perfectly!

Offline Cleanser

Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 06:36:54 PM
If there hasn’t been changes to the spring order could matter. Hard to tell from your picture but I think the order I’ve seen it work as: blade layer, then scissor, saw, opener layer. Saw second to the opener layer.

Looks like your scissor and saw orders may be flipped from that?

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 06:45:28 PM
Hopefully it’s as simple as that - I can see it coming apart sooner than I originally planned already…driving me nuts!

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 05:20:25 PM
I have reordered it but also replaced the hand manufactured brass liner with a stock one as I think there was some misalignment compounding the problem there too:
All good now. Happy boy;0)

us Offline Enginears

Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 10:12:27 PM
I have reordered it but also replaced the hand manufactured brass liner with a stock one as I think there was some misalignment compounding the problem there too:
All good now. Happy boy;0)

Good to hear! After having fabricated some liners and alox style scales I am amazing at how the precision of the hole placement can effect the snap of the tools. I am curious about the mechanics of the order mattering for the snap, I know it does seem to make a difference but I am still not sure why.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%