Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Designing a New Tool

Offline will123

• New User
Designing a New Tool
on: March 13, 2008, 01:55:46 PM
Hey guys, i am an engineering student designing a multi-tool as part of a project. Could anyone give me some details of why they prefered a specific MT, or of any features that made this tool stand out from the rest.

Many thanks

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Designing a New Tool
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 02:23:21 PM
Hi Will and welcome to the forum!

I split this into a new topic figuring you are going to get a hundred different answers and it might as well stand on it's own!

Frankly I think every tool out there has at least something to offer, even the ones I personally didn't care for very much.  For example, looking at the cheap dime store tools in my collection like the Sheffield Mountaineer you see that it contains a number of interesting features, like the brass screws so that tool tension can be adjusted, the implements could be replaced or rotated to suit user preference, or simply disassembled for cleaning.  It also has a handy carabiner clip, the awl that so many folks like but is often ignored, and spring loaded pliers to help relieve fatigue during extended use.  Oh yeah, and the broad, plastic covered handles are quite comfortable.

Heck if you want to know what many of us thought was particularly good about many tools, check out the main site at www.Multitool.org and read the reviews.  At the bottom of many of them there is a "Pros/Cons" section that sums it up for you.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 02:57:51 PM
Welcome to the forum mate :)

From a personel standpoint, a Multi must have the following, otherwise I walk away...

1) A good quality plain edged blade, it doesn't need to be a super steel like ZDP189 or S30V, but it must be able to hold a reasonable edge and be field sharpenable.
2) A saw
3) An awl (hello MT manufactures!)
4) A can openner, preferable of the Victorinox type(but thats just personnel preference)
5) Solid, robust pliers, something that will stand a lot of use and the occational bit of abuse.

Thats would be my bear minimum, other features I'd like would be outside opening tool's, and a totally intergrated design (I hate add on's and bit kit's, there just one more thing to lose ::))

Hope this helps mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline kreskin13

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 03:15:00 PM
Hi Will, welcome to the forum. I'm Calvin and I'm not a bad guy but my breath stinks. :o

While not my favorite (sorry LMan) I like the Leatherman Surge!!! because of its interchangeable/replaceable file and saw.

I would like to see a replaceable razor blade in a multitool. A standard blade such as the small ones made for mini retractable utility knives would be relatively easy to find.

As Def mentioned, adjustable tools are nice also.

Calvin
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 03:18:01 PM
There you go you've already got 2 contradictory idea's :D

Calvin want's to add stuff, and I want them stock ::) :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 03:25:06 PM
Welcome to the forum mate :)

From a personel standpoint, a Multi must have the following, otherwise I walk away...

1) A good quality plain edged blade, it doesn't need to be a super steel like ZDP189 or S30V, but it must be able to hold a reasonable edge and be field sharpenable.
2) A saw
3) An awl (hello MT manufactures!)
4) A can openner, preferable of the Victorinox type(but thats just personnel preference)
5) Solid, robust pliers, something that will stand a lot of use and the occational bit of abuse.

This is pretty close to my minimum. I also want at least 1 Phillips screwdriver and 2 flat head screwdrivers. Of course if you have the can and bottle opener from Victorinox you've already got these covered.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 03:28:56 PM
I don't care for the blade exchanger...  it takes up too much space.  You end up with large tool/tiny implement syndrome!  If you had a permanent mount saw, you'd have at least another half inch of cutting surface...

See what I mean Will?  This is like asking ten people what they want on a pizza- you'll get at least twelve different answers! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 05:26:01 PM
For me, I want...

A PE blade,
A file,
Scissors,
Awl,
Bottle opener (not bothered about a can opener)
A phillips,
2 flat heads,
One hand opening pliers,
Outside opening tools,
Long nosed pliers
Wire cutters with hard wire notch,
Locking tools accept blades (because of carry laws in the UK),
a ruler,
and lastly, for it all to be complete and not requiring any extra pieces.  Such as bit holders and blade exchangers.

I'm sure there's loads more but that will do for now.  :)
I'm back!!

Offline kreskin13

Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 05:57:13 PM
I don't care for the blade exchanger...  it takes up too much space.  You end up with large tool/tiny implement syndrome!  If you had a permanent mount saw, you'd have at least another half inch of cutting surface...

See what I mean Will?  This is like asking ten people what they want on a pizza- you'll get at least twelve different answers! :D

Def

Def, I'm taking you out of my will! :D

Calvin
[

Offline walt_uoob

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 10:00:37 PM
will, can you give any more details about the project?  Are you planning a tool mostly as practice to learn this type of engineering?  Trying to build the perfect tool for a particular purpose?  Or trying to build the best all-around tool ever conceived?  Looking for a good idea that has been done but could have been done better?  Or trying to come up with a way to turn the whole industry on its head with a concept that's not out there yet?  I'm not saying I have insight into any of these, but the people who frequent this site can give you pages of input on any of the above.  I can't wait to log on in a couple days to see how many dozens of pages of responses there are to this...You may not realize what you've gotten yourself into..(these people are crazy and they're sucking me in!  Get out while you can!)

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 10:15:16 PM
Well, you do lose about .5 inches of usable saw/file length on the SURGE! But, if you have T Shank blades than you can get a much longer saw.. I use four inch Progressor blades that work wonderfully! Also, the blade exchanger is there so the large scissors can be on the outside. You also don't loose a tool.. Like on the Swisstools or Charges. Like on the XTI you lose scissors or on the Swisstool X you lose a file.. You don't have to sacrifice other tools.. You have a saw, diamond/wood file, two large one handed blades, serious set of scissors, AWL, stranded wire cutter, and so much more.

Features that make a tool stick out:

Large knife blades ( straight edge and serrated)
Diamond coated file
Awl
Stranded wire cutter
Crimper
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 10:21:08 PM by Leatherman123 »
B

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 10:47:00 PM
I'd be happy with an outside opening Core with a one hand opening blade.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 11:18:35 PM
will, can you give any more details about the project?  Are you planning a tool mostly as practice to learn this type of engineering?  Trying to build the perfect tool for a particular purpose?  Or trying to build the best all-around tool ever conceived?  Looking for a good idea that has been done but could have been done better?  Or trying to come up with a way to turn the whole industry on its head with a concept that's not out there yet?  I'm not saying I have insight into any of these, but the people who frequent this site can give you pages of input on any of the above.  I can't wait to log on in a couple days to see how many dozens of pages of responses there are to this...You may not realize what you've gotten yourself into..(these people are crazy and they're sucking me in!  Get out while you can!)

Too late, he's ours! >:D

Calvin
[

Offline will123

• New User
Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 03:36:42 PM
The exact project is to design a multitool for use by an engineer, sorta thing that are given as executive presents with a budget of around £80. The emphasis is on the functionabilty, target market, ease of use and estetics. After reading most of the buyer reviews on here i found that lots of people enjoyed aspects that made the use comfortable and easy but still did the job. I would like to thank everyone for the input so far, its been a lot of help, so please keep on posting!!!

will

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 03:49:28 PM
I like

One handed opening      butterfly it or gerber slide open

good scissors

diamond file

regular blade--not serratted

long phillips head no.2 size

high quality......i willing to pay more for tank like build.
:like:    :MTO:

Offline silentio

Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 05:48:39 PM
If your target audience will be receiving it as gifts, I'm going to say, make the design a main priority. It has to look good so that someone who has never owned a multitool will want to keep it. This would mean you don't want to cram a million and one things in there, but just the basics so it won't be too large.

£80 seems like plenty, so I suppose you can factor in some nice materials so its quality will be good.

Offline Papacat

Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 07:03:32 PM
Will,

Welcome aboard.  Here are a few things you should consider for your design:

1. Outside access for all tools like the Vic Swisstool and Spirit.
2. Locking tools. 
3. One-handed opening for main blades.

Just my two cents...I mean just my two pence.

-Papacat.
"

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 07:52:21 PM
I think in the market of a million tools the special touches stick  out. like 154cm blade or something nice like that.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 06:22:51 AM
Exchangeable tools,for customizing the tool for a specific job(s).
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD