Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lovin my Dime

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Lovin my Dime
on: December 09, 2012, 01:47:55 AM
Switched out my Vic Rambler for my Gerber Dime this week and I think I am starting to really love it.To me the blade seems to hold a good edge,the scissors are actually quite nice.The bottle opener is definatly more sturdy than the Rambler.The pliers also came in handy as I had quite a lot of electrical problems at work this week,as an auto technician i found it worked well pulling fuses from an Audi underdash fuse and relay panel that has limited access.All in all I have found the Dime to be one of my favorite EDC's.My only complaint is that the tools tend to be a little hard to open,maybe they will free up after more use.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Lovin my Dime
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 02:29:16 AM
I'm a huge fan of the Dime, although everyone probably already knows that.  :D

Good to see another member with good taste!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 02:40:41 AM
I did something I thought I'd never do this week - I replaced the Executive on my keys with the Dime.  It sure is a useful little thing!  :tu:  Much as I love the Exec, the Dime is going to be seeing a lot more use in the future.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 02:42:45 AM
Another fan here.  I really like the blade shape they used on it. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 02:48:27 AM
Glad I bought all 3 colors too !

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 09:54:05 AM
Another Dime fan here  :tu: It's in a combo with a Wenger pocket tool chest and Preon Revo, and it's one of my favourite lightweight combos

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 01:25:33 PM

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 02:12:11 PM
I love the Dime too!

Anybody done much wire cutting with a newer version?  My first one bent a backspring cutting wire.  I haven't used it for cutting wire since.   :(

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 02:24:15 PM
I love the Dime too!

Anybody done much wire cutting with a newer version?  My first one bent a backspring cutting wire.  I haven't used it for cutting wire since.   :(

Light copper stuff?  Yes. :tu:  Anything harder?  No.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 02:29:03 PM
No, Actually it cut wire almost as nice as my Snap-On wire cutter.Too bad it didnt have a wire stripper like my LM Squirt

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 03:22:29 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Wow, looks like yours has some serious defects!  Better contact customer service right away!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 03:24:13 PM
I love the Dime too!

12 ga solid core?  I figure 14 ga should be fine.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 03:50:42 PM
I love the Dime too!

I had to go look up the old 'gauge' sizes, I think in mm. :D  I don't think I tried it on anything thicker than 1.5mm (between 14-16 gauge) and I don't think I would attempt it on more than 14 gauge at a push.  Certainly not more, unless in an emergency.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 06:28:03 PM
 +1 on the dime express, the clam shell opener rocks !  :cheers:
CHEERS

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 06:41:23 PM
I love the Dime too!

I had to go look up the old 'gauge' sizes, I think in mm. :D  I don't think I tried it on anything thicker than 1.5mm (between 14-16 gauge) and I don't think I would attempt it on more than 14 gauge at a push.  Certainly not more, unless in an emergency.

I always have to look up gauges too. If it's in SWG (Standard Wire Gauge), then 16G is approx 1.6mm diameter, but that equates to 14 AWG (American Wire Gauge). Here everything goes on CSA (cross sectional area), which means it would nominally be defined as 2mm. To make it confusing there are other wire gauges and rating systems too.

When building my wiring loom on the boat I had to calculate voltage drops in various cable sizes in circuits of up to 120ft. The book that gave me the calculations and reference data for allowable voltage drop dependent on amperage and distance was American and listed AWG. I had a separate table that cross referenced that and the diameter, and then I had to convert to CSA to get the right cable  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh I had to do this for every lighting circuit, power circuits, heating, fans, water pumps, bilge pumps, radio, fridge etc etc etc 
:facepalm:

I would cautiously approach 2.5mm CSA with them (not just go for a straight snip through copper and sheathing), but at 1.5mm CSA or below I'd have no qualms whatsoever

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 07:06:40 PM
I love the Dime too!

I always have to look up gauges too. If it's in SWG (Standard Wire Gauge), then 16G is approx 1.6mm diameter, but that equates to 14 AWG (American Wire Gauge). Here everything goes on CSA (cross sectional area), which means it would nominally be defined as 2mm. To make it confusing there are other wire gauges and rating systems too.

When building my wiring loom on the boat I had to calculate voltage drops in various cable sizes in circuits of up to 120ft. The book that gave me the calculations and reference data for allowable voltage drop dependent on amperage and distance was American and listed AWG. I had a separate table that cross referenced that and the diameter, and then I had to convert to CSA to get the right cable  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh I had to do this for every lighting circuit, power circuits, heating, fans, water pumps, bilge pumps, radio, fridge etc etc etc 

I would cautiously approach 2.5mm CSA with them (not just go for a straight snip through copper and sheathing), but at 1.5mm CSA or below I'd have no qualms whatsoever

So 14 ga is 2.08 mm2 CSA (ok to cut?), 12 ga (3.3 mm2 CSA) is questionable.  (Makes sense.  It was 12 ga solid core that did in my first Dime).  Sounds like it's designed for counter top appliance or smaller wiring jobs.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 07:40:10 PM
I love the Dime too!

So 14 ga is 2.08 mm2 CSA (ok to cut?), 12 ga (3.3 mm2 CSA) is questionable.  (Makes sense.  It was 12 ga solid core that did in my first Dime).  Sounds like it's designed for counter top appliance or smaller wiring jobs.

I think a kettle flex is around 2.5mm2  :think: (remembering we're on 240V), and I'd approach that cautiously, same with a 13A extension lead, but lighter stuff such as a lamp (stuff that isn't drawing big amps for a heater element) I'd have no issues with ... not all three cores plus outer sheathing you understand  :D just an individual wire. That's where my comfort level would be anyway - although I do tend to air on the side of caution with tools, and very rarely have I been known to take a tool past it's limits

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 07:30:10 PM
The Dime is on my list of potential future purchases. This thread, and hearing other people's experience wit hit goes a long way toward making me think it might be a worthwhile purchase. Thanks, all.

Also... Wohoo! Just went over 1000 posts!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 08:05:18 PM
Congrats on No Life Lynn!

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

es Offline El Rago

• I shot the sherrif...
Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 07:14:07 PM
The Dime is on my list of potential future purchases. This thread, and hearing other people's experience wit hit goes a long way toward making me think it might be a worthwhile purchase. Thanks, all.

how the hell am I going to hit 1000???

anyway, back on topic. I got a dime as well. I too can attest to the easy, quality and general handyness it gives me. It does not scare the police or my boss. I love the bottle opener and the clamshell opener too.

I tend to use it as a support for my skeletool when carrying a bigger tool is not feasible.

get one, Lynn, and you will not feel disapointed

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 02:19:29 AM

Nice work :cheers:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 04:24:48 AM

I recommend absurdly large numbers of posts about can openers. :)

As for picking up a dime, it's on my wanted list.

Nuph, thanks.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 01:22:39 PM
Nows the time Lynn, I believe Knifecenters.com has free shipping, The Dime is $15.95

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 05:11:38 PM

I recommend absurdly large numbers of posts about can openers. :)

As for picking up a dime, it's on my wanted list.

Nuph, thanks.

Ah yes!  "The Can Opener Affair".  Videos should count for extra in the post count ;)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 05:19:24 PM
 :D :D :D That was a more passionate debate than the Spirit vs Wave ever was  :whistle:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 05:25:40 PM
I was adamant in my stance, until I actually picked up an EZ-DUZ-IT crank opener.  Much better than the standard can openers (which are worse than a Vic can opener... :pok: ;))

>:D

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 08:10:17 PM
Hey, that wasn't all bad, Lynn got a free Tinker out of the deal!  :)  Still prefer the Wenger over the Vic though.....  ::)  As for the Dime, I'm liking it more and more.  It's now a regular part of my keychain carry.  Used the pliers today to remove some shipping clips from a gallon can, worked like a champ.  I'm pairing it with my Executive, I just like the Vic scissors and nail file better.  In terms of drivers though, the Dime is great.  The package opener is a useful little tool as well, and with a bit of creative thinking is surprisingly versatile. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 11:43:49 PM
Nows the time Lynn, I believe Knifecenters.com has free shipping, The Dime is $15.95

While I' d like to, we have an upcoming trip, and general holiday season expenses. No room for the little extras at the moment. But soon, I hope.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 02:17:05 AM
Its worth the wait!

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 01:20:55 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!