Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lovin my Dime

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Lovin my Dime
Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 02:09:48 PM
I haven't worked out how to EDC my Dime, but I'm working on it.  I really like the feel of this tool.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 02:27:37 PM
I haven't worked out how to EDC my Dime, but I'm working on it.  I really like the feel of this tool.

I'm really glad I'm not the only one who has those issues. My Dime is easy - it's clipped to a Wenger PTC and a single AAA or AA light and just thrown in a pocket, but I do have that "want to carry things but not know how to incorporate them" with other stuff.

My Timekeeper is probably the longest running quandary in that respect. I don't just want to chuck it in a pocket as I might damage the clock. I have the same with other stuff too. Minibuck - too small on it's own - redundant when paired - too nice not to use. I also stopped carrying that "Micro Tool Tin" concept of mine, as to get the knife out I had to remove everything else first, which means the Micra, Mini Tool, Harvester and Shard are not getting any use, but none of them readily fall into any other combo. Maybe time for another review and clear out of surplus  :-\

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 06:17:26 PM

I'm really glad I'm not the only one who has those issues. My Dime is easy - it's clipped to a Wenger PTC and a single AAA or AA light and just thrown in a pocket, but I do have that "want to carry things but not know how to incorporate them" with other stuff.

Same issues also. :salute: I carried a PS4 on my car keys for a bit but decided it's to heavy for the ignition. Then it lived in the box for over a year, then a small belt holster, then back in the box for a few months, ... It now rides in my watch pocket next to a lighter (IMCO Triplex). I like this a lot. :tu: I'll probably get the Dime eventually but I have too many keychain SAKs and tools that don't get any playtime as is without the added competition. :D BTW, does anyone know it there was any revision to the bendy spring?

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 03:48:57 PM
The dime won me over with the clam shell opener and has the perfect plier shape for pulling automobile fuses.
CHEERS

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 04:47:05 PM
I just got my (green) Dime yesterday. Wohoo!

I haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but first impressions are VERY good. Minus the file.  :D

I like just about everything about it, and in the inevitable comparison to the Leatherman Squirt, it holds up very well.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #35 on: January 20, 2013, 06:20:30 PM
Nice !! i liked your write up on the juice scissors you are right they are junk. I tried cutting some felt with them and lets just say my sak killed it !!
CHEERS

Offline mvecin

Lovin my Dime
Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 08:04:57 PM
Just got my dime as well. Love the feel and look but the blade was not sharp at all. Is this normal? Otherwise the mini tool is perfect.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 08:13:18 PM
My blade was paper-cutting sharp out of the package.

Colt... thanks. I just reviewed the Dime scissors as well...
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36798.msg678429.html#msg678429

I would like to think that I'm above style considerations in my tool selection, but I have to admit, the dime just looks SWEET! And as I bought it new, I got to choose what color I wanted, and green is my favorite color. I'm quite happy with it so far.

I was also going to throw this out there are a thought. The early models of the Squirt had bolts, not peened pins. Does anyone suspect that the Gerber Dime might have a similar switch in style in the future, or is Gerber likely to stick with the current construction method?

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 08:13:29 PM
Just got my dime as well. Love the feel and look but the blade was not sharp at all. Is this normal? Otherwise the mini tool is perfect.
My blade was dull also, easy fix though. pretty cool little tool.
CHEERS

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 08:34:24 PM
I've been carrying the Dime more and more lately, usually on my keys when I'm not at work and don't feel like carrying a larger tool.  I think Gerber hit a home run with this one.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 08:38:34 PM
My blade was paper-cutting sharp out of the package.

Colt... thanks. I just reviewed the Dime scissors as well...
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36798.msg678429.html#msg678429

I would like to think that I'm above style considerations in my tool selection, but I have to admit, the dime just looks SWEET! And as I bought it new, I got to choose what color I wanted, and green is my favorite color. I'm quite happy with it so far.

I was also going to throw this out there are a thought. The early models of the Squirt had bolts, not peened pins. Does anyone suspect that the Gerber Dime might have a similar switch in style in the future, or is Gerber likely to stick with the current construction method?

Good question. I don't expect any change to the Dime ... if they were going to change anything, they'd change quite a few things and then give it a different name - seems to be how they operate. Other than the MP400 and MP600 things don't seem to stick around that long either ... I hope the Dime has better longevity than many of it's other tools

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 09:49:12 PM
Is the package opener sharp on other people's Dime? Mine isn't exactly sharp. As a comparison, the package opener on the Wingman will cut 550 paracord. The Dime's will not (at least, not as it came out of package. I may change that).

EDIT: Oooo.... Hmm, I just tested my Dime, trying to cut a piece of 12-gauge solid copper wire. The blades were flexing so much I feared the tool was going to pop its pivot. UGLY fail. I tried the Leatherman Style PS by comparison, and the Leatherman cut the wire reasonably well, with no scary flexing. The wire cutters on the Dime are only good for very light use only, it seems.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:16:55 PM by Lynn LeFey »

Offline mvecin

Lovin my Dime
Reply #42 on: January 21, 2013, 01:47:52 PM
My blade was dull also, easy fix though. pretty cool little tool.

Yea very cool :) I have all 3 colors.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #43 on: January 21, 2013, 02:12:04 PM
I have posted the problems I had with the Dime so i will not do it again. It seems like the later ones are a lot better than the original ones a few of us bought.

Despite the QC problems it had (usually fixed with a hammer) I use it when I want the minimum size + maximum ability in a low cost package; like when I am abroad.

The package opener is not very sharp but it has a decent point, so once the point punctures the plastic you can just pull it around to cut it open, easily.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 11:58:06 PM
dks, could you put up a link to the thread with the issues you had? I'd appreciate it.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #45 on: January 24, 2013, 04:50:30 AM
I love the the Dime, but I love even more the PS4.  Its marginally smaller, lighter and more elegant in design (IMO).  But that did not stop me from ordering a green Dime today, in order to complete the color trifecta. I do love the Dime though, and Gerber deserves props for it.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #46 on: January 24, 2013, 04:58:08 AM
I love the the Dime, but I love even more the PS4.

I suspect this is how I'd feel with a PS4 as well. I need to get one. I traded away a Squirt S4 so I'm fairly familiar with the tool, and if I compare the scissors on the Style PS to those on the Dime, the PS wins.

I like the LOOK of the Dime more. And, maybe more important, I think Gerber is finally edging up on Leatherman with this tool.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #47 on: January 24, 2013, 05:07:36 AM
Yeah, they are pretty much neck and neck, with the PS4 prevailing in the factors I noted, and the Dime winning with its dedicated bottle opener, v-grind main blade (my subjective preference), tweezer and price. And on the real point of carrying a PS4 or Dime, i.e., the pliers, they are pretty much dead even.  At least thats how I see it.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #48 on: January 24, 2013, 07:47:30 AM
dks, could you put up a link to the thread with the issues you had? I'd appreciate it.

Here is the thread with the problems we had with the 1st lot of Dimes:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36210.0.html
and one more:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36353.0.html

I have not heard of any more problems since, so I assume that after we Beta tested them  :P they sorted out any problems.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #49 on: January 24, 2013, 02:49:59 PM
Ah... thanks. I vaguely remember the first thread.

And, THAT's why I'm never an early adopter of new tools.

My most sincere thanks to all who did the 'shakedown cruise' on this tool for the rest of us.  :salute:

Offline mvecin

Reply #50 on: January 30, 2013, 08:04:23 AM
The blade of my all black dime was dull as in could not even cut paper smoothly...but the red and black I got a few weeks after was razor sharp...any reason for this? could it be because the blade was black?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%