Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Allox knives. 2056

Newbie Posts: 26
Allox knives.
« on: December 10, 2012, 08:58:20 AM »
Hey Guys,
As you know Im new to the Swiss scene.....
Im trying to get some understanding of the allox knives that everyone here loves so much! :tu:
I went to my knive shop, (SA's Victorinox importer), and they have lots of different allox knives.

Firstly I'm buying a nice blue allox, There is the option between one with just a blade, and another with a few more bits. I think its a farmer, I has what looks like an awl, but bends around onto the rim of the knife, if that makes any sense. So what do you guys think is better between the two models from a practical or collection point of view, or is it just personal preference?
(OR SHOULD I JUST GET BOTH????)

Then here is my main question:
They had a variety of silver allox's. And was told that it was the soldier issue from the 50's. That got me excited. . . ..  So now im on a mission to figure out which one ,if this is the correct information, was the one issued before the New 08 soldier.

I would like all the types of issues that were issued to the military at one stage. I am getting the 1891 soldier replica in the next day or two! Will post some pics ASAP when I can!

Thanks Guys.....
 :climber:

Victorinox - 1891 soldier / Zt 0560 / S&W M&P9c
No Life Club Posts: 4,722 I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Re: Allox knives.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 10:27:40 AM »
(OR SHOULD I JUST GET BOTH????)

yes... yes you should.

resistance is futile.

Welcome aboard. :cheers:

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,626 Τετραφάρμακος
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 12:02:31 PM »
From a functionality point of view, the more layers and tools the better. Alox have restricted layers (up to 3) and set of tools anyway. I find my Harvester very functional. The awl is very strong and sharp, better placed ergonomically and with better geometry compared to the usual back awl of the 91mm models. You can make holes everywhere or carve something easily. The saw is excellent, the best saw that exists in a folder and the one other mini saws are compared with. The pruner blade is also great. It is the sharpest blade I have ever encountered in a SAK and with a shape that makes it a fiercesome cutter. Rope, carton, leather, plastic, clothes, branches, nothing resists. I had it in the Swisschamp XLT and was very impressed so I decided that the Harvester would be my EDC Alox. It is a short tool, so one can use it more easily with a thinner SAK. But you might prefer an electrician's blade (not as sharp and handy) or the can opener/ small screwdriver, usable with Philips too.
I would like to have 1-2 more layers with a pair of scissors and a set of pliers or a serrated blade, but Victorinos stops at 3 layers. OTOH, that's why mods are for!
Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,038 I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 02:21:16 PM »
The Farmer is a VERY POPULAR CHOICE! Just thought I'd put that out there :D

Personally I prefer the Pruner blade so like the Harvester types. However, I would get both. That's the easy decision!

A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,733 You're amongst friends.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 02:27:04 PM »
I only own one Farmer and actually do not use it.  I prefer the Pioneer and Wenger SI because of their thin 2 layer profile.  On my wish list is a Pioneer with pruner blade and also one with electrician blade.

SAW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 03:21:27 PM »
thanks for replies!
I'm also looking for a answer regarding the silver allox, is this a soldier issue prior 2008? I want to purchase one of the "soldiers" and worry I buy the 1 out of the 5 or so I viewed at the shop, then later I find the ACTUAL soldier had a phillips screw driver and not a crok screw.
 :facepalm:

I apologies if this is a question that I should consult the search or SAKwiki. . .

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,517 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »
I rarely use/carry alox at all. The ones I do have are Harvester, Pioneer and Rambler.

If you want a tool to use, pick the one that appears to give the best toolset for you - you'll find out soon enough whether you made the right choice or whether you'd have been better with "x". As for collecting - same deal - pick the one you feel the greatest pull towards. You'll probably get a little imp on your shoulder whispering in your ear to get the other one/s soon enough  >:D However, if you ARE buying to collect and you choose to buy both at the same time, that little imp will still appear and convince you to buy something else anyway  :P :D :D

Just remember the golden rule ..... we want pics of whatever turns up  :pok: :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad
Sr. Member Posts: 460
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 04:12:29 PM »
thanks for replies!
I'm also looking for a answer regarding the silver allox, is this a soldier issue prior 2008? I want to purchase one of the "soldiers" and worry I buy the 1 out of the 5 or so I viewed at the shop, then later I find the ACTUAL soldier had a phillips screw driver and not a crok screw.

I apologies if this is a question that I should consult the search or SAKwiki. . .

alox doesn't have backtools.

are you talking about the one hand open cellidor models?

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »
Just remember the golden rule ..... we want pics of whatever turns up  :pok: :D :D

FOR SURE!

well so far I edc spartan / climber / soldier. not too keen on the wider ones like cybertoool ect. Although I am getting the 125th anniversary cybertool just for special-ness

My knife collection (big knives and now Swiss too) is strange, only the special knifes find their way in there. I need to whip it out and be able to give a full presentation then and there about where its from and why! Anyone else feel that way?

HOWEVER: the cool part is that the swiss knives are cheap.
(This is highly contradictory and load of crap) As I just spent more money on 3 knives in 2 weeks then i have in 6 months with my big knife collection. (2 damascus + heritage)

So what was I saying, oh yes, The swiss knifes are 'cheap', so although only some of them have a little special something about them, I can buy one a week or so, and just build up a collection for fun. . . . which is awesome, because in the past, buying a spyderco/benchmade a week will piss the government of so badly it wont be funny . . .
I'm sure some of you can relate to this. . . .
 :oops:

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
thanks for replies!

alox doesn't have backtools.

are you talking about the one hand open cellidor models?

Well there we go, see how much i know about the alox? I just need someone to tell me what exact model alox was issued to the swiss army at one stage, that is currently still in production as a new knife in the shop. (or does this not exist?)

Maybe I should start here:
I was told by a shop assistant that a particular model, while pointing to a new silver alox SAK  on his shelf was the same knife that was issued to the swiss army around the 50's or so. Is this statement semi correct? or was there never a silver alox issued to the army?

2nd question:
If question 1 is true, Which silver alox is it? (one blade, two blades, saw?) or a model name?

Global Moderator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,168 North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 04:45:29 PM »
Blue Farmer. :)

Always the right choice.  BTW, the saw on the Alox models is a delight to use.

No Life Club Posts: 1,240
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 04:48:59 PM »
Vic pioneer or wenger standard issue is the current version of the knives that were issued to the Swiss soldiers. Older historical models are also on the secondary market but those are the current offerings ( with very slight differences).

Hint: picks up the blue farmer if it is the same price as the others. Very collectable.

Cheers

Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!
Sr. Member Posts: 448
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 06:53:17 PM »
Jason
The silver Soldier you were looking at will be the 1961 design,just make sure it has the year stamp on the back of the blade (preferably 08) as the newer ones don't have that anymore,as for the blue alox, the Pioneer (2 layers) will be the better choice, get one of each colour and then start with the Solo's, does Sharp Edge sell blue Alox Farmers in shop  :ahhh   --the Farmer is a 3 layer Alox knife with saw.

Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time
Full Member Posts: 129
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »
Hi Jason,
Sharp Edge had a few Alox Soldiers there the last time I looked. This is the knife that was military issue in Switzerland (from the 60s), the Netherlands (and a variant here in SA too). They have a shield that is rounded, not pointed, at the bottom, and as Meanx said, should have a stamp on the base of the blade (all the ones I checked were 08 for 2008). The Pioneer is almost identical (pointy shield and keyring are the only differences). They have it in silver and five colours. It's worth scouring the shelves at Sharp Edge, they have  few things for sale their that aren't on the website. As Meanx says, if that includes coloured farmers I may be making a trip myself
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 11:00:06 AM »
@ Meanx and ?eter
Hi guys, good to see some local interest here towards knives... Most of the SA guys just want an occapi for biltong. . . . haha. . .  (nothing wrong with that either)

Thanks for the replies. I will defiantly go and find out whats there, and let you know. Thanks for the info on the soldier alox. That's exactly what I needed to know. . .
So is this the knife?

No Life Club Posts: 3,435
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 11:37:20 AM »
That's the one. From 1961 to 2008.
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 12:10:11 PM »
 :tu:

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,626 Τετραφάρμακος
Allox knives.
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
I like Okapi. I had an old German, now lost. I'd like a moon & star lockback. All knives are beautiful, the most important invention ever. But SAKs are something more than simply knives indeed.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
October Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: $109.46
PayPal Fees: $6.30
Net Balance: $103.16
Below Goal: $196.84
Site Currency: USD
34%