Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Watches - Analog vs. Digital

Poll

Which type of watch do you prefer?

Analog
25 (45.5%)
Digital
7 (12.7%)
Ana-Digi
6 (10.9%)
Both
15 (27.3%)
Pocket
2 (3.6%)
Bay
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 55

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Watches - Analog vs. Digital
on: December 13, 2012, 04:30:33 PM
For my first poll, I thought I'd ask, just out of curiosity, which type of watch do you prefer?

Personally, I like both for different reasons:

It is easier to see where you are in time at a single glance with analog.  I.e., you can see it is, for example, 10:40, but you also instantly have a visual that is is 20 minutes until 11.  With digital, you see the numbers 10:40 and have to do the math in your head.  Not a big deal, but definitely quicker and more intuitive with analog.

Conversely, with digital, it is easier to state the precise time.  If someone asks me what time it is when I'm wearing an analog watch, I'll usually respond with something like, "its about quarter til 11."  With digital, I just read the time, "its 10:43."  Plus digital usually means more functions, which can be nice.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Watches - Analog vs. Digital
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 04:33:35 PM
I prefer a digital watch with a stopwatch, timer and alarm.  Sometimes, I will wear a watch that has multiple alarms, if I need them.  It's also a fact that the batteries last longer on digital watches  :D
SAW

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 04:35:35 PM
Both for me too, although I'm down to one digital - it's the WTSHTF watch as it's solar and full of clever stuff (G-shock Pathfinder).

All the rest are autos. I avoid batteries as they seem to be so unnecessary in watches these days.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 04:35:46 PM
I prefer a digital watch with a stopwatch, timer and alarm.  Sometimes, I will wear a watch that has multiple alarms, if I need them.  It's also a fact that the batteries last longer on digital watches  :D

I never really thought about the battery life on a quartz analog.  Mine have either been mechanical or solar powered.  It makes sense though that moving the hands would require more energy.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 04:36:54 PM
I oddly prefer digital function and for ease of reading but prefer the look of a analogue watch but love them all  :D

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 04:37:34 PM
Both for me too, although I'm down to one digital - it's the WTSHTF watch as it's solar and full of clever stuff (G-shock Pathfinder).

All the rest are autos. I avoid batteries as they seem to be so unnecessary in watches these days.

I would prefer a solar digital, but haven't found one I like just yet.  So far I've been happy with my Timex Shock.  I like the pathfinder, but its just too big for me.

Your Seiko mod diver, however,  :drool:

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 04:39:08 PM
I oddly prefer digital function and for ease of reading but prefer the look of a analogue watch but love them all  :D

This is where I've been lately.  I've always preferred the analog look, still do.  But the additional functions of the digital are hard to beat.  Basically a wrist multitool  :multi:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 05:32:48 PM
I wear a watch for reading time quickly, so I prefer analog. And it's usually a pocket watch I end up wearing.

Alarms, timers, stopwatch, etc, my phone has all that.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 06:03:45 PM
Analog for me.  The nice digital functions are all built into my phone so I'm not worried about them at all.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 06:12:49 PM
analogue for me though i have an ana-digi atm
I

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 06:49:37 PM
I'm having a hard time voting. :(

I love wrist watches, but don't really wear them because they're dangerous on a farm (can be caught in farm equipment ).

I wear a pockesmurfch which I like too.

I like them all.

I prefer analog faces over digital faces however.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 07:37:23 PM
Pockesmurfch!   :rofl:

That never gets old!

Do you wear it near salsmurfer?  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 07:42:51 PM
A tough question for me too.  My cheap Casio digital is probably my most often worn watch, but I've no doubt that if I was forced to pick one type to wear for the rest of my life, it would be analogue.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 07:51:20 PM
Analog for me. I've had a few over the years with a small digital display under the analog face but currently all the watches I own are analog.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 07:55:39 PM
It depends on time. For everyday wear I like analog as they look better than digital, but for outdoor activities I use digital as they tend to be slimmer thus less likely to snag/bang on stuff, and they can display more functions clearer in a given space.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 07:58:37 PM
I love a good pockesmurfch, but a wrissmurfch is nice too! 

Salsmurfer can ruin your shoes!

I make tea with hosmurfer!

The sun turns ice into melsmurfer.

LOL... thats all i got. :D  Oh and analog for me.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 09:24:08 PM

I love wrist watches, but don't really wear them because they're dangerous on a farm (can be caught in farm equipment ).

I like them all.

I don't think I helped by mixing display types (analog/digital) with a casing type (pocket) in the poll.  Didn't think about that  :facepalm:

I imagine anything on your body that could snag something would be very dangerous around farm equipment.  Watches, rings, etc...  :o

It depends on time. For everyday wear I like analog as they look better than digital, but for outdoor activities I use digital as they tend to be slimmer thus less likely to snag/bang on stuff, and they can display more functions clearer in a given space.

Its interesting you say this, as I have a hard time finding any slim digital watches that I like the looks of.  Maybe one or two of Timex's runners themed watches.  G-shocks, ABC watches and others are pretty thick.

I love a good pockesmurfch, but a wrissmurfch is nice too! 

Salsmurfer can ruin your shoes!

I make tea with hosmurfer!

The sun turns ice into melsmurfer.

LOL... thats all i got. :D  Oh and analog for me.

:rofl:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 09:30:20 PM

I like them all.

I don't think I helped by mixing display types (analog/digital) with a casing type (pocket) in the poll.  Didn't think about that  :facepalm:

I imagine anything on your body that could snag something would be very dangerous around farm equipment.  Watches, rings, etc...  :o

I quit wearing my wedding band when I caught it inside a tractor transmission case.  It took me 20 minutes to get my hand free.  Good thing nothing was moving or it (and my finger )would have been off in a matter of seconds.

Another protip:  No loose fitting clothes around a PTO.  :ahhh

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 09:42:48 PM

Its interesting you say this, as I have a hard time finding any slim digital watches that I like the looks of.  Maybe one or two of Timex's runners themed watches.  G-shocks, ABC watches and others are pretty thick.

They are, but imagine all that info on an analog watch, how large would it have to be to display time, stopwatch, timer, alarm, altimeter, barometer, multiple logs, sunrise/sundown, compass, and anything else I forget? Also Casio PAW2000 is really slim as far as ABC watches go.

When I want slim I have a Timex expedition that I got when I was 15 and it still runs perfectly. It's tiny compare to modern watches, weights like a feather and I literally don't feel it on my wrist, unlike my 5.8 oz daily user.

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 09:57:22 PM

I like them all.

I quit wearing my wedding band when I caught it inside a tractor transmission case.  It took me 20 minutes to get my hand free.  Good thing nothing was moving or it (and my finger )would have been off in a matter of seconds.

Another protip:  No loose fitting clothes around a PTO.  :ahhh

Interestingly, Neil Armstrong lost his ring finger by catching his wedding ring when jumping off the back of his tractor (long after his NASA days).  They were able to reattach his finger.  But if it can happen to Neil, it can happen to anybody :P

Also interesting, to me ;), is that his farm is about 15 minutes away from my house.

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 10:00:22 PM

They are, but imagine all that info on an analog watch, how large would it have to be to display time, stopwatch, timer, alarm, altimeter, barometer, multiple logs, sunrise/sundown, compass, and anything else I forget? Also Casio PAW2000 is really slim as far as ABC watches go.

When I want slim I have a Timex expedition that I got when I was 15 and it still runs perfectly. It's tiny compare to modern watches, weights like a feather and I literally don't feel it on my wrist, unlike my 5.8 oz daily user.

Fair point.  I was thinking more along the lines of a basic time only analog vs a more fully featured digital which is, as you have alluded to, probably not a fair comparison.

This function to size ratio is why I have been enjoying my digital as much as I have, even though I prefer the analog look.  Plus, it just seems easier to use than the equivalent functions on my mobile phone.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 10:21:56 PM
Yeah I never liked taking out phone to look at the time, especially when I'm 30 or 50 ft off the ground on a liftchair with frozen hands.  :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 01:58:23 AM
Yeah I never liked taking out phone to look at the time, especially when I'm 30 or 50 ft off the ground on a liftchair with frozen hands.  :D

Oh hell no :ahhh
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Wheeljack

Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 04:56:57 AM
I'm an analog mechanical watch guy. I love the fact that a mechanical watch is a little piece of machinery that needs me to either manually wind or move around enough for the automatic winder weight to do the job.

I especially love mechanical chronographs.

ca Offline KDX

Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 06:56:51 AM
Analog/digital for functionality. Straight analog for pure aesthetics.

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 08:06:55 AM
Mostly analog for me but when I go hunting I go with the digital.

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 03:04:19 PM
I'm an analog mechanical watch guy. I love the fact that a mechanical watch is a little piece of machinery that needs me to either manually wind or move around enough for the automatic winder weight to do the job.

Thats exactly the type of watch I'd love.  I love the mechanincalness of the engineering involved.  I take it a nice watch of this type is pretty pricey?
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

de Offline Argento

Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 04:48:25 PM
Well, got 2 Casio watches that are analog and digital.
That´s what i prefer. Most of the time i look at the analog, but good thing with digital is, you get some extra modes in it, like alarm or stop watch. Best of both worlds  :tu: Also got an Automatik watch, analog and a Traser H3 analog watch. i like the Tritium stuff  :D

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 05:05:21 PM

Thats exactly the type of watch I'd love.  I love the mechanincalness of the engineering involved.  I take it a nice watch of this type is pretty pricey?

Probably depends on your definition of pricey.  Most mechanical swiss-made chronos are going to be $700+.  A lot of them very +++++.

There are some Russian and Chinese mechanical chronos that are much more affordable.

There are also some Seiko mechanical chronos, but I can't think of one that is what I consider inexpensive.  Maybe some of the older 70's ones can be caught on eBay for a reasonable price.

Edit to add some links for ideas:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/rugged-mechanical-chronograph-thats-relatively-affordable-590288.html
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/affordable-mechanical-chronograph-785361.html
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/list-affordable-mechanical-chronographs-112993.html

A couple of Invictas that look to have swiss mov'ts for under $500:
http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-0594-Automatic-Chronograph-Ion-Plated/dp/B005F0XJ62/ref=pd_sbs_watch_3
http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-0741-Collection-Automatic-Chronograph/dp/B004PAN2CO?tag=5336121778-20
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 05:47:11 PM by gustophersmob »

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 05:25:57 PM
I wear my Timex or Casio digital during the week for alarm purposes and my SAK analog on the weekends or if i am out to dinner my TagHeur.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%