Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sterling silver Princess with bail?

Offline Espen

Sterling silver Princess with bail?
on: April 22, 2024, 11:59:22 AM
Trying to find information about this SAK that was included in a lot i purchased. Wondering if it might be factory or a third party. We do have some Victorinox knives with silver scales floating around here in Norway from companies such as Mylius and EIK that are popular baptism and confirmation gifts, but those are usually from the 90s to the current age with floral patterns and similar designs so it doesn't fit in that category. Probably not a Tiffany either judging by the silver stamp

Either way one for the archives.

3L4A0191" border="0
3L4A0197" border="0
3L4A0192" border="0

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Re: Sterling silver Princess with bail?
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 10:55:48 AM
Nice find! Did Norway have hallmarking for silver allowing you to identify the maker? The UK used to have extensive hallmarking for precious metals, but the rules were relaxed to more generic content marks (either parts per thousand eg 925 for Sterling silver, or carats) in more recent years and only expensive jewellers/makers seem to use full sets of hallmarks allowing you to date, value, place and identify the maker these days - we also lost some city hallmarking centres too with time…..

Offline Espen

Re: Sterling silver Princess with bail?
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 02:33:15 PM
Yes, Hallmarking has been an established practice since the 1300s and it got started because it should interestingly enough demonstrate that the silver content was equal to that of an English penny. I did look through some literature i found online, but it did not help me identify the maker. The ribbed nature of the scales gives room for interpretation though as the strike is not that clear.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%