Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Camper EDC 505

Newbie Posts: 39
Camper EDC
« on: July 07, 2020, 02:07:53 AM »
I am looking to get some feedback.  I currently carry a Super Tinker but have started thinking about carrying a Camper for EDC.  I don't want to go over 3 layers and I am not concerned about the corkscrew vs Phillips issue so my main question is it worth giving up the scissors for the saw?  I am going to get the Camper no matter what but I am curious from those that carry the Camper for a daily carry. 
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,961
Re: Camper EDC
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 02:16:40 AM »
There's a great thread, Camper Collective, in the Swiss Knights Forum that will give you all kinds of experiences on the Camper.  As for me, I love mine!

Barry
No Life Club Posts: 1,195
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 02:46:00 AM »
The way I see it is that the overlap between what a knife vs. scissors can cut is too great. Whereas there is very little overlap between the knife and the saw. I've used the saw countless times on plastic, hard rubber, even hard cardboard, as well as on wood, in both urban and wilderness environments. Camper all the way :tu:
Jr. Member Posts: 99
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 03:03:34 AM »
I have a camper, super tinker and compact. As an edc, the choice is easy for me - camper over super tinker anytime, slimmer profile, saw, cockscrew, etc.. The choice between camper and compact is not so easy.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 03:23:41 AM »
The way I see it is that the overlap between what a knife vs. scissors can cut is too great. Whereas there is very little overlap between the knife and the saw. I've used the saw countless times on plastic, hard rubber, even hard cardboard, as well as on wood, in both urban and wilderness environments. Camper all the way :tu:

Thanks, I am beginning to think that way too about the overlap and how the saw is a completely unique feature.  I do love the scissors on the Super Tinker because they are like surgical scissors.  Also when I got the Super Tinker I didn't realize how good the can opener worked on Phillips screws. 
Full Member Posts: 177

Tet ca

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 03:27:08 AM »
Of course it depends what you do during the day.  I EDC'ed a camper for about 14 years until I found this forum and got exposed to the wonders of other SAKs.  I always wished I had scissors with me, but not enough to get me to buy a new one . Except in the summer when I was outside with stuff to saw! I like the idea of both, and I imagine the Farmer X that's on its way to me will be my new edc.
No Life Club Posts: 1,468
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 04:35:09 AM »
Personally, I get a lot of use out of the scissors, but the saw is more of a "just in case I need it" tool.
No Life Club Posts: 4,048
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 04:43:42 AM »
Fieldmaster/Huntsman all the way for me. That does what I need, without thinking "either/or".
Hero Member Posts: 532
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 08:43:17 AM »
Away from work, the Camper is the thickest knife I'll carry in my pocket. It's a good choice if you think you're more likely to use the saw than scissors, but I also prefer the handling comfort it gives me over the Spartan. Carry it for a few days after you buy it and see if it works for you. EDC is a highly personal thing.

Many of us here keep a 58mm on our keyrings to cover scissor needs. These wee fellas aren't to be underestimated! - and you can gain useful extra tools that take up very little space.

Rambler
No Life Club Posts: 2,254
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 09:56:13 AM »
I keep the Camper for outdoors. A Spartan is all I need for urban carry. I've got little scissors on my Rambler if I need them.

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson
Jr. Member Posts: 51
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 11:16:04 AM »
Go for a farmer x and have it all...with Alox too!  :drool:
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 03:27:04 AM »
Away from work, the Camper is the thickest knife I'll carry in my pocket. It's a good choice if you think you're more likely to use the saw than scissors, but I also prefer the handling comfort it gives me over the Spartan. Carry it for a few days after you buy it and see if it works for you. EDC is a highly personal thing.

Many of us here keep a 58mm on our keyrings to cover scissor needs. These wee fellas aren't to be underestimated! - and you can gain useful extra tools that take up very little space.

Thanks that is exactly what I did. I'm glad you said that about the Spartan too because I was curious about that. I got a black classic SD for my keys and the Camper.  I am mainly carry my Leatherman Wave during work but after hours and the weekends I think this combo will be great!  I can still take the Super Tinker when I think I might need it but I feel the Camper\Classic combo is going to be my go to.  Bought my wife a Red classic too, I think she will be happily surprised.  Thank you again for your advice. 
Hero Member Posts: 532
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 12:09:34 PM »
Thanks that is exactly what I did. I'm glad you said that about the Spartan too because I was curious about that. I got a black classic SD for my keys and the Camper.  I am mainly carry my Leatherman Wave during work but after hours and the weekends I think this combo will be great!  I can still take the Super Tinker when I think I might need it but I feel the Camper\Classic combo is going to be my go to.  Bought my wife a Red classic too, I think she will be happily surprised.  Thank you again for your advice.

:cheers:

Lots of people are plenty happy with the Spartan and I wouldn't write it off. I love its toolset but I'd enjoy it more if it had thicker scales. Just a personal thing. Oddly, my usual urban SAK is a Tourist - the 84mm version of the Spartan. Again, I find it more comfortable in the hand. Weird, huh?

I've given a few people a Classic each and each tell me they use them much more than they expected to. My ex has hers attached to the zipper pull of her handbag.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:14:35 PM by Sawl Goodman »

Rambler
No Life Club Posts: 1,023
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2020, 01:18:57 PM »
I think it depends a whole lot on preference and needs.

For me, i have almost no need for the wood saw on a daily basis for a urban environment. I'll take the full size scissors over that any time.
It's true the blade can do most of what the scissors can, but the scissors are much more convenient, "people friendly", and overall cool  :P
Why pull of the blade more often than you really need...

The wood saw it's a bit limited as to what it's useful for it to cut in an urban environment. Mainly softer materials, wood, some plastics, cardboard... Problem is, the teeth are too aggressive for most stuff apart from wood, it leaves a mess and if you cut harder stuff it's easy to damage the teeth or even bend the saw it it gets caught up.

O love taking the saw with me only when i head out to the country. In that scenario i'll prefer it over the scissors, as using the blade more often in the country is not a bit deal so it can do what the scissors can.

If we're talking about the metal saw/metal file on the other hand it's another story, much more useful in urban environment than the wood saw IMO  ;)

Maybe Vic will release an Alox "Mountaineer" AKA Pioneer X with metal saw, I'd be all over that one...  :drink:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 01:24:03 PM by MacGyver »

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")
Sr. Member Posts: 486
« Reply #14 on: Today at 02:54:14 AM »
Maybe Vic will release an Alox "Mountaineer" AKA Pioneer X with metal saw, I'd be all over that one...  :drink:

Well, they did release the Farmer X after much pleading and begging and email etc , so we may as well get started on the process for the Pioneer FX :D

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "
No Life Club Posts: 4,048
« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:01:13 AM »
I think it depends a whole lot on preference and needs.

For me, i have almost no need for the wood saw on a daily basis for a urban environment. I'll take the full size scissors over that any time.
It's true the blade can do most of what the scissors can, but the scissors are much more convenient, "people friendly", and overall cool  :P
Why pull of the blade more often than you really need...

The wood saw it's a bit limited as to what it's useful for it to cut in an urban environment. Mainly softer materials, wood, some plastics, cardboard... Problem is, the teeth are too aggressive for most stuff apart from wood, it leaves a mess and if you cut harder stuff it's easy to damage the teeth or even bend the saw it it gets caught up.

O love taking the saw with me only when i head out to the country. In that scenario i'll prefer it over the scissors, as using the blade more often in the country is not a bit deal so it can do what the scissors can.

If we're talking about the metal saw/metal file on the other hand it's another story, much more useful in urban environment than the wood saw IMO  ;)

I have to admit; if you're cutting wood; with enough work, the stuff the 91mm saw can handle is quite often able to be cut with a blade. Yet, the stuff I usually cut with the new stainless metal saw (screws and wire that reasonably, should not be cut with any multitool or pliers cutter; but I didn't have bolt cutters to properly cut it), obviously cannot. And, it's combined with a very aggressive file.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $23.00
PayPal Fees: $1.77
Net Balance: $21.23
Below Goal: $278.77
Site Currency: USD
 7%