Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What did you use your Sak on today?

colt 1911 · 10819 · 581243

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Re: What did you use your Sak on today?
Reply #10080 on: June 26, 2022, 01:54:51 PM
I feel like I’m in a talk show of sorts where you have to fix other people’s home stuff for free

Found two loose handles earlier and got a few minutes to get them fixed today.

Screws pulled using Spirit X pliers - too stiff to be pulled out by hand, then I applied some cool fast-drying epoxy glue and screwed back into place using a ratchet tool

Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #10081 on: June 29, 2022, 04:48:33 PM
Well, this wasn't today so I hope you all will forgive me but....

I flew down to Colorado last week to help my sister and her family. They just moved there from Atlanta and were trying to get their new house set up, etc. Well, I was working with my brother-in-law to run some CAT5 cable around the house and I was up in the attic. We needed to get a mounting plate on the back side of the ceiling drywall to mount a wireless access point.

The attic is very not-finished... no floor (not even plywood laid across the joists) and no lights at all. So I had a small flashlight with me in the attic. This was difficult because I was basically climbing around the rafters up there. A headlamp would have been ideal, but we didn't have one. I got to the place where the mounting plate was supposed to go and realized I needed both hands!

Out comes the Super Tinker! I used the main blade - jammed it into the nearest rafter and looped the flashlight's lanyard over my SAK so I could use both hands AND actually see what I was doing at the the same time. Fortunately, the blade (and tip) was no worse for wear from this experience since the rafters were a relatively soft wood.

00 Offline Jmoita

Reply #10082 on: June 29, 2022, 09:34:17 PM
I've been using my compact for fishing. Scissors for line, the hook is very usefull for pulling hooks (hook for hooks ahah) when tightening knots by the hook.

gb Offline HollowRivet

• New User
Reply #10083 on: July 01, 2022, 08:32:09 PM
Sadly I don’t have a photo of the knife in action but I stumbled on some beehives and stopped to look and take a picture. Sadly while taking the pic a bee stung me right on my forehead! I used the tweezers of my executive to pull out the stinger, ouch I’ve learned my lesson to keep a respectful distance!

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #10084 on: July 01, 2022, 10:01:41 PM
We’ve moved to a new apartment - smaller, cleaner, it has an air conditioner, it’s closer to a local gym and it’s 3 times cheaper

But right after I plugged in our router I’ve discovered a pretty much the same issue we had with a previous place - badly installed Ethernet connector.

For some reason here they use only 4-wired Ethernet cables instead of regular 8-wired cat.5 or cat.6

It works fine, but looks weird and from my experience I can tell that this connection can get quite unreliable

Anyway, I used my Spirit X Plus to cut the badly installed plug

Then I used my beloved Spirit X wire stripper

Sadly I still had to use dedicated  crimping pliers, but at least I had some joy with the Spirit

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #10085 on: July 02, 2022, 01:23:50 AM
At least you seem ok right now!  :salute:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #10086 on: July 02, 2022, 05:11:23 PM
We’ve moved to a new apartment - smaller, cleaner, it has an air conditioner, it’s closer to a local gym and it’s 3 times cheaper

But right after I plugged in our router I’ve discovered a pretty much the same issue we had with a previous place - badly installed Ethernet connector.

For some reason here they use only 4-wired Ethernet cables instead of regular 8-wired cat.5 or cat.6

(Image removed from quote.)

It works fine, but looks weird and from my experience I can tell that this connection can get quite unreliable

Anyway, I used my Spirit X Plus to cut the badly installed plug

Then I used my beloved Spirit X wire stripper

Sadly I still had to use dedicated  crimping pliers, but at least I had some joy with the Spirit

Excellent usage and glad things are looking up  :tu:

Stay safe out there  :salute:
They don't like it up 'em!

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #10087 on: July 02, 2022, 05:17:09 PM
Went to the pub with a mate yesterday (Friday) and whilst attempting to hang my jacket I noticed the hook under the bar counter was loose.

Climber's Phillips/Small screwdriver to the rescue  :drink:

* Climber 010722a.jpg (Filesize: 375.96 KB)

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #10088 on: July 02, 2022, 09:09:43 PM
New place - new challenges

Today started bright and early - at 6:30 AM to be precise - I woke up to some conversations that seemingly happened right next to our bed in our room After a few moments of careful listening I found a hole in the floor with a piece of a badly cut tube in it and I even could see our neighbor’s place through it. That’s how I could hear their radio or TV loud and clear for the entire night

No action shots, but I used my LM Wave’s saw to trim the excess tube and stuffed a hole with cotton - we’ll see if it’ll work tonight .

Later I’ve found a similar hole in the kitchen. But anyway.

This place may become a tad better for sleeping after I patched that hole, but it totally sucks as a workplace, which is a must for us at the moment. So I’ve found that Jysk has some cool tables at 50% discount, found one I liked and brought it home. Spirit X Plus took care of the rest. And my god I’m grateful for having at - I used quite a few tools during the assembly and the ratchet is absolutely priceless

Here’s the end result:

Here are some action shots:
Show content

Having assembled the new table I’ve also tightened a chair I’m about to use - it went way too loose for comfort, but I managed this in no time at all

And even cut some tomatoes and mozzarella for dinner

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #10089 on: July 06, 2022, 03:35:59 PM
New day - new use

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #10090 on: July 06, 2022, 03:42:27 PM
Nice-looking tea kettle, too! :tu:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

gb Offline SteveMr170

Reply #10091 on: July 07, 2022, 12:33:52 AM
Possibly the nicest cider I have ever had.

rsz_1img_20220706_232605.jpg
* rsz_1img_20220706_232605.jpg (Filesize: 88.75 KB)

Offline mansedan

Reply #10092 on: July 07, 2022, 03:03:11 AM
The Airbnb we’re staying at has a garage which we’ve been stringing up wet swimsuits and towels in. This morning the door into the garage wouldn’t open, potentially ruining our planned day at the beach!  Luckily I had my Swisstool Spirit X on my belt and was able to disassemble the doorknob. Then I used the pliers to actuate the door latch from within, winning us the garage back. I didn’t take any photos during the process but got one afterwards.

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #10093 on: July 07, 2022, 02:23:05 PM
MB scaled SwissChamp helping with car maintenance:
A drop of oil for weekend dash for the Benz:

And splash of coolant for the Chevy after working hard thru recent heatwave:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by this axe I rule

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #10094 on: July 07, 2022, 08:59:28 PM
The Airbnb we’re staying at has a garage which we’ve been stringing up wet swimsuits and towels in. This morning the door into the garage wouldn’t open, potentially ruining our planned day at the beach!  Luckily I had my Swisstool Spirit X on my belt and was able to disassemble the doorknob. Then I used the pliers to actuate the door latch from within, winning us the garage back. I didn’t take any photos during the process but got one afterwards.

Oh now that’s what I call fun well done mate

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #10095 on: July 07, 2022, 08:59:46 PM
A drop of oil for weekend dash for the Benz:

And splash of coolant for the Chevy after working hard thru recent heatwave:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great use and nice shots

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #10096 on: July 07, 2022, 10:05:42 PM
A drop of oil for weekend dash for the Benz.
Such an appropriate tool for the task at hand! :tu:
USN 2000-2006

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #10097 on: July 10, 2022, 11:14:36 AM
Yet another fun day in this apartment

My wife complained that a door in the kitchen won’t open as it should and poked me how is that even possible I haven’t fixed it yet

I looked it the mechanism with a handle pushed down and the problem was surely there

Well here I was once again with my Spirit X Plus - ratchet proved to be invaluable as usual:

It allows to reach places I won’t be able to get to otherwise

Used pliers to pull a pretty greasy part and keep my fingers clean

Having disassembled the handle the problem was really a tad more serious than I expected - mechanism was a cheap ceramic piece of garbage

Thankfully we love not far from a hardware store so I bought and installed a replacement

Though it seems like a direct replacement I actually had to fiddle with it a little bit: bent with pliers and filed an original part a little to make it a perfect fit with a new part - no problem for a Vic metal file

Being done with that later on that day we invited a speSmurfpillst to fix a fridge we have here - it makes lots of noise every now and then. He came for a second time already while I was not at home, not only did he not fix it again having of course charged us more, but he also wrecked a power outlet I had to fix.

Warning: don’t forget to turn the power off before working with outlets, switches and so on!

Disassembled with a ratchet again

And then for the first time really I used a can opener as a flathead screwdriver on a Spirit X - a perfect fit for this particular job

All done and ready for more
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 11:45:25 AM by alexanderre »

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #10098 on: July 10, 2022, 09:42:53 PM
The ratchet really earned its keep. I'm convinced that I must have such a thing someday. Nicely done on the repair work! :tu:
USN 2000-2006

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #10099 on: July 11, 2022, 12:19:07 AM
The ratchet really earned its keep. I'm convinced that I must have such a thing someday. Nicely done on the repair work! :tu:
I’m sure you won’t regret it! Thanks, it surely was lots of fun

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #10100 on: July 11, 2022, 10:03:21 PM
Our electric kettle stopped working. It wasn't really surprising since it's at least 10 years old and it is a cheapo brand to begin with. But before I go get a new one I wanted to see what's wrong with it. Plus my new Workchamp was itching for something to do. So I took it apart

Those inline Philips are awesome, I found it more comfortable to use than in a plier based MT.

My initial suspect was the switch and particularly the relay that's in it. But testing the circuit with another favorite multi tool  of mine I found no fault.

So I decided to take apart the base. And surprise surprise - a Chinese security heads on the bolts. I have seen such bits, I even think I have a few somewhere. But that's the first time I ever encounter such bolt in person  :D Thought it would be faster if I just make myself a bit, rather than trying to find one I'm not sure I even have. I could have cut it more carefully and evenly but I needed it for something screwed in plastic so  :whistle:

Then the smaller Philips helped disassemble the connector between the base and the kettle.

And here is what I found, not surprising it stopped working and actually I wondered how it worked so far

Some 1200 sandpaper and it was shining again. Assembled everything back and voila - it's working again

Then I told my wife something like "if this thing breaks 6-7 more times and I repair it with this SAK, it will basically pay for it's self"  :twak:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #10101 on: July 12, 2022, 06:10:40 AM
Our electric kettle stopped working. It wasn't really surprising since it's at least 10 years old and it is a cheapo brand to begin with. But before I go get a new one I wanted to see what's wrong with it. Plus my new Workchamp was itching for something to do. So I took it apart

Those inline Philips are awesome, I found it more comfortable to use than in a plier based MT.

My initial suspect was the switch and particularly the relay that's in it. But testing the circuit with another favorite multi tool  of mine I found no fault.

So I decided to take apart the base. And surprise surprise - a Chinese security heads on the bolts. I have seen such bits, I even think I have a few somewhere. But that's the first time I ever encounter such bolt in person  :D Thought it would be faster if I just make myself a bit, rather than trying to find one I'm not sure I even have. I could have cut it more carefully and evenly but I needed it for something screwed in plastic so  :whistle:

Then the smaller Philips helped disassemble the connector between the base and the kettle.

And here is what I found, not surprising it stopped working and actually I wondered how it worked so far

Some 1200 sandpaper and it was shining again. Assembled everything back and voila - it's working again

Then I told my wife something like "if this thing breaks 6-7 more times and I repair it with this SAK, it will basically pay for it's self"  :twak:

Excellent SAK use there!

I've heard that the fish hook disgorger tip of the 91mm fish scaler can be used on those two-hole security screw heads, but I haven't run across any to try.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #10102 on: July 12, 2022, 11:50:29 AM

Way to go and a pure joy to read

Those in-line Phillips are amazing on a Work Champ - the best I’ve ever tried on a SAK or any other MT, especially a long slim one

And true - a return on reasonable SAK investment does come in no time at all (how do you define reasonable though?… )

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #10103 on: July 14, 2022, 10:19:05 PM
Oh dear oh dear, I feel like no handyman or handywoman ever lived in this place before

Came out of the shower and wanted to brush my teeth, turned the water tap towards the sink and the main tube left in my hands

No big deal though - I put it back into place in no time and tightened by hand as much as I could

Then I put some duct tape on the Spirit X pliers to prevent any scratches and tightened it just a little bit more

Done deal, but seriously though - what’s about to break next here?

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #10104 on: July 15, 2022, 03:19:03 PM
Good job the place has a more than competent handyman in residence now! Fingers crossed for the future, Alexanderre!  :cheers:

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #10105 on: July 15, 2022, 03:21:39 PM
Thank you my friend, hoping for the best really, especially considering yesterday’s tragedy in Vinnytsia 🥲

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #10106 on: July 18, 2022, 03:33:29 AM
Wanted to take a selfie, yet had no tripod. Thought about it, then used a Victorinox Spirit to be used as a unipod for a Ricoh Theta SC2 (360° camera).
Worked out well. Should of used the GoPro 6 Black, it makes far sexier photos.

Awl stuck in the post, thin screwdriver to hold up inside the extension I epoxied to the Theta SC2.
Show content
Over the past year the Theta SC2's nylon tripod adapter broke from use and vibration. Needed a fix, so bought a short adapter, and used Gorilla epoxy to permanently glue the extension in. I do not understand why companies use nylon adapters on their cameras, when most everyone else uses brass. Ricoh's minimum fee to look at any 360 camera is $200 minus shipping. So yeah, $20 is a far better deal.

* IMG_6402.jpg (Filesize: 411.69 KB)

* R0012220_2022-07-17_19.14.32.jpg (Filesize: 203.29 KB)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 03:39:29 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #10107 on: July 18, 2022, 04:09:52 PM
Wanted to take a selfie, yet had no tripod. Thought about it, then used a Victorinox Spirit to be used as a unipod for a Ricoh Theta SC2 (360° camera).
Worked out well. Should of used the GoPro 6 Black, it makes far sexier photos.

Awl stuck in the post, thin screwdriver to hold up inside the extension I epoxied to the Theta SC2.
Show content
Over the past year the Theta SC2's nylon tripod adapter broke from use and vibration. Needed a fix, so bought a short adapter, and used Gorilla epoxy to permanently glue the extension in. I do not understand why companies use nylon adapters on their cameras, when most everyone else uses brass. Ricoh's minimum fee to look at any 360 camera is $200 minus shipping. So yeah, $20 is a far better deal.
Great job if you ever share this on instagram - be sure to add #mysakhack hashtag to your post

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #10108 on: July 25, 2022, 08:12:23 PM
We returned home for a few days to see how things are going here and oh dear we’ve found a mess we left in a rush

Among many other things I’ve replaced a few parts in our espresso maker using a pair of  Swiss Champ pliers

Good like new

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #10109 on: July 25, 2022, 08:28:26 PM
We returned home for a few days to see how things are going here and oh dear we’ve found a mess we left in a rush

Among many other things I’ve replaced a few parts in our espresso maker using a pair of  Swiss Champ pliers

Good like new

I (once) dismantled the coffee maker (machine, not Mrs Surge) and was advised  :twak: NEVER to remove the seal.

I now give it a rinse (when she's not here  :whistle:)

I dare not show her this  :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69