Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What did you use your Sak on today?

colt 1911 · 10335 · 505559

nz Offline Storm

Re: What did you use your Sak on today?
Reply #10170 on: October 01, 2022, 12:31:19 AM
Used the smooth side of the awl and the corkscrew  to untie knots in my youngest lads yoyo string .
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #10171 on: October 01, 2022, 01:19:31 PM
Voyager’s small blade was used to cut off bandage from dog’s front paw:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by this axe I rule

Offline MCG1521

• New User
Reply #10172 on: October 03, 2022, 08:11:08 PM
Was on vacation the past couple days. Used my Compact's blade to stir frozen margaritas and cut up a burrito, the combo tool to shotgun beers, the scissors to cut tags, the corkscrew to open 2 bottles of wine, and the saw and file on my Swisschamp to make a walking stick.

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #10173 on: October 03, 2022, 10:01:03 PM
Opening mail yet again.

I wish those bills would stop coming, but at least I get to bust out my trusty SAK  :climber:
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10174 on: October 04, 2022, 12:02:12 PM
Was on vacation the past couple days. Used my Compact's blade to stir frozen margaritas and cut up a burrito, the combo tool to shotgun beers, the scissors to cut tags, the corkscrew to open 2 bottles of wine, and the saw and file on my Swisschamp to make a walking stick.

Welcome to :MTO:

:cheers: :salute:

Nice start!

:drink: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #10175 on: October 05, 2022, 12:17:12 AM
 :salute:  :tu:  :tu:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #10176 on: October 10, 2022, 08:06:53 AM
Used the scissors and Philips screwdriver on my Spirit during window ac unit removal downstairs for the season.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #10177 on: October 11, 2022, 01:46:18 AM
Used the pliers on my Champ as big tweezers to hold a little plastic piece I had to glue. Very handy!
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
84mm: Bantam
85mm: Evolution S557, Serrated Commander, Traveler, Evolution 18
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline Farmer X

• No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #10178 on: October 11, 2022, 04:58:46 AM
 :iagree: Those little pliers sure can come in handy.
USN 2000-2006

One to four layers of SAK is (usually) best for me.

If you have absolutely nothing better to do, my YouTube channel is awlways an option:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCWA0VjH6v3WS6gvLkPGk9KA/

nz Offline Storm

Reply #10179 on: October 11, 2022, 08:21:08 AM
Farmers awl for reaming out some plastic holes and the blade for opening a bag of shoestring fries to go with burgers for dinner
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #10180 on: October 12, 2022, 05:40:14 PM
Last night I did a case swap on my desktop PC. What I mean by that is that I took all the parts out of my old tower and put them in a new larger tower that has more space and more/better fans.

In the process, I used the bottle opener on my S557 to help remove the back panel on the tower to access some of the cables. Now any SAK could have done that. But the S557 really shined when it came to the new case! I used the in-line Phillips a few times but I also used the pliers! I needed to add a couple of motherboard standoffs to the case for my mATX motherboard. They are hex-shaped so I put them in as far as my fingers would take them and used the pliers to tighten them. The pliers worked great for that (I'm sure the Deluxe Tinker pliers would have been just as good).

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #10181 on: October 12, 2022, 08:07:20 PM
used my cadet to open a package of coffee
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Offline Intorikata

Reply #10182 on: October 13, 2022, 01:58:03 AM
Pioneer small screwdriver - adjusting the H limit screw on my bike. My Spirit pliers pulled my derailleur cable taught to give it more tension and fix a shifting issue.

Offline Red Ranger

Reply #10183 on: October 13, 2022, 03:58:02 AM
I used the large blade on my 91mm Ranger to open a pack of gum and open some boxes at work. Also used it to stab into a cactus that I had just cut down so I could pick it up for disposal. I used the canopener’s screwdriver tip to pry staples out of drywall in a vacant apartment at work. I used the saw to trim some of the larger, dried out, dead branches from a rose bush. Used the file and small blade on my nails to trim up some of them. Used the straight pin to tuck in a loose string on my work shirt to prevent it from unraveling. Used the toothpick after lunch for what a toothpick does best, and, of course, I cleaned it before reinserting it back into its scale slot. I think that’s about it, LOL.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 04:05:17 AM by Red Ranger »

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #10184 on: October 13, 2022, 04:18:49 PM
Here's a good one!

I was playing Battleship (the board game) with my daughter and noticed that some of the holes in the boards were too small for the pegs. I used the reamer function of the awl on my Climber to make them a little bigger as I found holes that were too small while we played.

Also, I am 0-2 to my 6 year old daughter in Battleship at this point...

us Offline TonySal

Reply #10185 on: October 14, 2022, 01:23:25 AM
 :salute: great uses! I opened a envelope today, and it was a bill!  Lol
join KNIFE RIGHTS

de Offline tinker gnome

Reply #10186 on: October 14, 2022, 08:11:45 AM
WARNING: This is not a post for more sqeamish folks. As I consider most of MTO's members to belong to the tougher sort, I'll post this. You have been warned. I'm not responsible for pics in your mind!  :whistle:

Well, the title says, what did you use your SAK on today? It wasn't today, but two weeks ago, but I didn't had time to post yet.

So, I decapitated mealworms with the scissors of my newly gifted Victorinox Huntsman. Sounds like the deed of a sadistic madman. Maybe a religious fanatic with extremely strict diet rules? Or a Star Trek Klingon fan who hates his gagh always crawling from the table plate?

Nope. It's all for a better cause. Read on.

It was 21:40 and only half an hour left in my late shift, when Ron approached me. He's the foreman of the cargo/night shift, the guys who put our commissioned goods on our trucks, so that our drivers can start delivery in the morning. He's almost as good equipped as me and one of two co-workers that I'm aware of actually edcing (the other guy being a real knife-nut). He likes to show off a bit and is rather extroverted, whereas I consider myself as adherent of the grey man philosophy (stand back, run below the radar, but be prepared). He's quite a character, so to speak, and it shows in the nicknames given to him: day-sleeper, grave-digger, or simply The Bat.

So Ron had a security shoe cardboard box under his arm and told me he wanted to show me one of his relatives... :ahhh  I opened the lid, which had some rows of holes punctured, and found a small bat, about two inches long and barely alive. It was found two halls away on a pile of cardboard sheets, and nobody knew what to do.  :dunno: Ron has even called the police station to no avail (in fact the police had no idea and only knew batman :facepalm:). Other possibilities like the animal rehab center were out of reach due to the time.

Then he asked me: "You're the nature guy here, so could you help this little one and contact the appropriate sites?" Well, several years ago we tried to rescue some orphan baby mice, and I promised to help. Ron was rather glad when I took the cardboard box to my car.

At home I told my gf we've been foster parents again, and the little bat needed our help. We tried to give him some water, via a pipette, but he didn't want to drink. Then we tried to gve him a flight possibility. With a glove I ushered him into position on a housewall outside. After a while he managed to hang upside down. I went inside to get a camera, and Barbara waited with him, the shoebox in hand. That was good, for since I returned the next minute, he just fell right off the wall, luckily into the cardboard box my SO had ready. We decided to go to bed, and equipped the box with some paper towels.

The next morning after breakfast snd my gf off to work, I had several calls after trying to learn a bit about bats. The little guy (he was a male, no mammary glands) could be a Pipistrellus pipistrellus or common pipistrelle in english. The german term is Zwergfledermaus, which means dwarf bat.

I hear you, pfrsantos, there might be strange relationships between dwarves and gnomes  :twak:

Finally I got an expert from the bavarian organization for bird conservancy (they have a wide spectre) on the phone. Turned out he got Covid-19 and couldn't leave his home.  :rant: Told me my proceedings so far were quite professional; accepting no water could mean the bat was sick and could die shortly. I could try to feed him with mealworms. Now comes the ugly part: being accustomed to flying moths and gnats as prey, bats must be trained for accepting mealworms as food. Therefore, the mealworm has to be beheaded, the intestines pulled out, and the residual innards pressed out and fed.
No easy task, but I was willing to try this. The expert wished me luck, and I went off buying some mealworms.

It went better than expected. The scissors of my newly gifted Huntsman saw a lot of use the next days... After his first three portions of mealworm, the aptly named "Ronnie" decided to take a drink from the pipette. So three times a day a feeding session took place, about an hour, for eight to ten mealworms and several drops of water. Ronnie was still rather lethargic, but his appetite was growing, and the rest of day & night he could sleep.

After some days, he was able to feed on whole mealworms, and my Huntsman's scissors could be put to rest.

On the evening of Monday, Oct 3rd, the feeding session was different. He managed to devour seven mealworms and three portions of water in five minutes, and tried to shiver and move more agile. Time for release  :woohoo: His weight rose from 4,8 grams to 6 grams, too. A good sign.  :tu:

So at 19:00 we drove to my workplace (outside the halls, of course), where we opened the box, he literally ran up the tree, I didn't manage to get a goodbye photo. In about four meters height he flew off, rose to ten meters, took a circle back as if to say "bye", and was gone in the dark.

Our garden birds feasted the following days on the remaining mealworms...  :whistle:

If you read this far on this verrry long post, you might have guessed it was a really absorbing experience. I even forgot to donate my usual 20€ at the end of september, and missed SurgeUKs giveaway ... :dwts: But as one might say, important things shift when somebody becomes parent (or foster parent).

We are really happy the whole story got its happy ending... :hatsoff:

* PSX_20221005_164734.jpg (Filesize: 141.4 KB)

* PSX_20221005_164809.jpg (Filesize: 162.51 KB)

* PSX_20221005_164932.jpg (Filesize: 123.8 KB)

* PSX_20221005_164835.jpg (Filesize: 106.07 KB)
Best regards and stay safe,

Wolfgang

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #10187 on: October 14, 2022, 08:51:30 AM
Good work, Tinker Gnome! The only bats I’ve ever handled were ones my parents’ cat would catch from time to time - no idea how she did it as she wasn’t exactly a prolific hunter! Amazingly the bats were un-damaged, and after a bit of recovery time, I was able to release them (away from a disappointed cat, obviously!) and let them fly off into the night…. Poor things - we speculated that the bats must have been confused by a yawning cat and thought it was a cave to roost in!  :rofl:

Offline ComboTool

Reply #10188 on: October 14, 2022, 09:45:49 AM
Great story! Is there a "Hero saving the day" badge ?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10189 on: October 14, 2022, 01:53:41 PM
Well done! I awlready knew about it, though. Ronnie told me when he got back to my cav... huh... I mean... good work!

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #10190 on: October 17, 2022, 07:30:53 AM
Last week, the Spirit got used to unscrew a window ac unit getting it out of a window for the season. Today I used the scissors and main blade on the new Super Tinker to cut packaging and a cardboard box to put in the trash and recycle bins.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #10191 on: October 17, 2022, 07:58:16 PM
I used the small screw driver on my Cadet to put my Dad's new walker together

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #10192 on: October 18, 2022, 07:42:52 PM
I used the blade in my Victorinox Swiss card to open an amazon package

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #10193 on: October 20, 2022, 07:20:16 AM
Screwdriver use today...

Inline Phillips on my SwissChamp to remove the screws on a plastic base so I could get to a light bulb to replace it.

Then the combo tool Phillips on my MiniChamp to remove the screws on a battery cover.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
84mm: Bantam
85mm: Evolution S557, Serrated Commander, Traveler, Evolution 18
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #10194 on: October 20, 2022, 01:43:53 PM
tinker gnome, that was a wholesome story! and thanks for the pictures!

Offline Red Ranger

Reply #10195 on: October 21, 2022, 02:23:55 AM
Used the canopener screwdriver tip to unscrew a large philips screw to pull the end cap off of a metal stair rail. The screw was in it pretty tightly, and for a second I didn’t think the canopener was going to work. But it did.

us Offline TonySal

Reply #10196 on: October 21, 2022, 02:40:29 AM
Yes Red R, a bit worried to it as such but it will work. Mighty SAK.  :salute:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Intorikata

Reply #10197 on: October 22, 2022, 01:59:47 AM
Used the canopener screwdriver tip to unscrew a large philips screw to pull the end cap off of a metal stair rail. The screw was in it pretty tightly, and for a second I didn’t think the canopener was going to work. But it did.

Good - I can personally vouch that human hands can put more torque on a can-opener driver than the driver can handle. Glad it didn't turn out that way for you!

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #10198 on: October 23, 2022, 12:06:02 PM
Floral Gardener helped to sort out some outside lights and assessed the polishing required on Tuatahi:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by this axe I rule

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #10199 on: October 24, 2022, 07:02:15 AM
The scissors on the Super Tinker got used to open some food packaging. Scissors and Awl on the Spirit got used at a bike ride event yesterday. The awl poked two new holes on someone's number bib and the scissors cut the zipties after they were fastened.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
February Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: $96.25
PayPal Fees: $5.09
Net Balance: $91.16
Below Goal: $208.84
Site Currency: USD