Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What did you use your Sak on today?

colt 1911 · 10807 · 572282

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Re: What did you use your Sak on today?
Reply #8340 on: July 13, 2020, 02:01:29 PM
 :iagree: :tu:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #8341 on: July 14, 2020, 12:55:40 AM
...used the Tinker awl to poke holes in the lid of a plastic soap carrier I use, with a sponge, as a home made guitar case humidifier  :salute:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline cody6268

Reply #8342 on: July 14, 2020, 01:18:49 AM
The Farmer X proved itself the most valuable MT on the Scout camp out this weekend:
  • With the regular mess kit can opener apparently MIA, the Farmer X's can opener opened a #10 can of baked beans for part of our dinner, as well as about half a dozen cans of pie filling for cobblers for dessert.
  • The scissors trimmed up the ends of several pieces of paracord (as well as a few larger ropes) prior to burning the ends, so that they could then be used for teaching knots to some of the Scouts.

The Fieldmaster, when I was in Scouts, I felt was the best all-around camp and hiking knife. The Farmer X, the same package in a much sturdier frame. The standard Scout (mine's a '70s Ulster)  can't handle Phillips and doesn't have a saw. Can opener is marginally worse than the SAKs--and Scout Stuff wants almost the same as a Fieldmaster for what is basically a $15 Marble's Camp Knife made to look like the old American-made Scouts. You can't saw wood with it (no saw), and scissors are absolutely the best for precision cutting jobs.

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #8343 on: July 14, 2020, 01:59:33 PM
The Farmer X proved itself the most valuable MT on the Scout camp out this weekend:
  • With the regular mess kit can opener apparently MIA, the Farmer X's can opener opened a #10 can of baked beans for part of our dinner, as well as about half a dozen cans of pie filling for cobblers for dessert.
  • The scissors trimmed up the ends of several pieces of paracord (as well as a few larger ropes) prior to burning the ends, so that they could then be used for teaching knots to some of the Scouts.
Great work nate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awlways know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8344 on: July 16, 2020, 05:03:51 AM
Thanks all!   :salute:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #8345 on: July 16, 2020, 04:07:29 PM
The Fieldmaster, when I was in Scouts, I felt was the best all-around camp and hiking knife. The Farmer X, the same package in a much sturdier frame. The standard Scout (mine's a '70s Ulster)  can't handle Phillips and doesn't have a saw. Can opener is marginally worse than the SAKs--and Scout Stuff wants almost the same as a Fieldmaster for what is basically a $15 Marble's Camp Knife made to look like the old American-made Scouts. You can't saw wood with it (no saw), and scissors are absolutely the best for precision cutting jobs.

I wasn't keen on any of the scout knives or BSA versions of the SAKs (Huntsman... which was really a Fieldmaster... and Climber, iirc from back then).  How times change. 

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #8346 on: July 16, 2020, 07:20:15 PM
So a laundry hanging system we have at the balcony has fallen off the ceiling recently - probably put too much weight on it.

Bought a replacement system + new screws and tried to remove the screws left from the old system. New screws are large - 5x80 mm - so I started off by checking if all 8 holes in the ceiling are equally deep and large and that the new screws would fit in. Started to screw them in using a large Phillips on the Work Champ and it all was going well up to the point where the screwdriver eventually collapsed and I had to pick up a Leatherman Signal instead. Finished the job, but discovered that Work Champ got some dust in it again and both Phillips drivers started to open and close with scratchy sound. Had to wash it thoroughly and oil. No issues with Signal whatsoever.

Conclusion: don’t use Vics with sandy elements around - they seem to hate it really.

Conclusion 2: good to have a choice of decent tools handy when you need them
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

fr Offline rvlulu

Reply #8347 on: July 18, 2020, 12:00:36 PM
For eat.
Wine Master 01.jpg
* Wine Master 01.jpg (Filesize: 146.11 KB)

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #8348 on: July 18, 2020, 04:01:21 PM
Nice  :drool: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline The Scrounger

Reply #8349 on: July 18, 2020, 10:01:42 PM
The plastic line that dangles the fuel cap from the fuel filler door on my car broke so I used my Pioneer to help make a new one. Used the can opener tip to undo the one soft plastic automotive phillips head screw. All I had with me to create a new line was some fishing line, so I used the awl to drill small holes in both the fuel cap (where the line broke) and the retainer on the filler door held on by the screw, then tied the fishing line to both holes. Trimmed some excess plastic with the awl blade and cut the fishing line with the main blade. Better solution than what came from the factory in that it doesn't touch the fender and scratch my paint!  :woohoo:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #8350 on: July 18, 2020, 11:20:41 PM
Nice job  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #8351 on: July 19, 2020, 12:03:24 AM
Had one of those annoying mustache curlers that wanted to hook in so the pioneerX took care of him!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline TonySal

Reply #8352 on: July 19, 2020, 12:33:18 AM
Had one of those annoying mustache curlers that wanted to hook in so the pioneerX took care of him!
JR
Yes my stache need the scizzors too  :tu:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8353 on: July 20, 2020, 02:44:01 AM
This use needs a little CAUTION! Especially when the Mrs is extremely nervous! But she had a massive wad of earwax in her bad ear, so we used the peroxide trick a few times then also a remover bulb a few times but still didn’t work, and this thing was killing her all day, I wanted to attempt with tweezers but she just started to freak, so as she was laying I grabbed my sak, and used it’s tweezers, started working, then popped out the corkscrew, then she’s like uhh what are you going to do with that? Oh this nothing, lol, don’t worry, and I slid the pin out, I slowly worked some of the wax as she’s freaking then needed a break, and one last time I grabbed the tweezers and got a good amount out, well do more peroxide and syringe tomorrow, but she needs a break! Sak’s are very useful but not toys!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline TonySal

Reply #8354 on: July 20, 2020, 03:27:06 AM
This use needs a little CAUTION! Especially when the Mrs is extremely nervous! But she had a massive wad of earwax in her bad ear, so we used the peroxide trick a few times then also a remover bulb a few times but still didn’t work, and this thing was killing her all day, I wanted to attempt with tweezers but she just started to freak, so as she was laying I grabbed my sak, and used it’s tweezers, started working, then popped out the corkscrew, then she’s like uhh what are you going to do with that? Oh this nothing, lol, don’t worry, and I slid the pin out, I slowly worked some of the wax as she’s freaking then needed a break, and one last time I grabbed the tweezers and got a good amount out, well do more peroxide and syringe tomorrow, but she needs a break! Sak’s are very useful but not toys!
JR
good job, hope she gets to feeling better!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8355 on: July 20, 2020, 03:55:35 AM
good job, hope she gets to feeling better!
Well that makes two of us, she lost hearing in it a few years back when a nurse cleaned it and stuck the qtip in and blew it out, the doc said it should come back in a few months, well it never did, should have sued his butt, but!
JR

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #8356 on: July 20, 2020, 01:57:07 PM
JR
Nice use! I had went to the doctor for that once. All of a sudden I couldn’t hear. They got it out and I couldn’t believe the size of the bugger!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8357 on: July 20, 2020, 05:38:04 PM
Nice use! I had went to the doctor for that once. All of a sudden I couldn’t hear. They got it out and I couldn’t believe the size of the bugger!

Can you hear again? Because she hasn’t been able to hear for like over 3yrs, and I don’t think that wall of wax has ever been cleaned out.. I mean it’s waay in!
JR

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #8358 on: July 21, 2020, 02:58:16 AM
Can you hear again? Because she hasn’t been able to hear for like over 3yrs, and I don’t think that wall of wax has ever been cleaned out.. I mean it’s waay in!
JR

seems like she needs to see an ENT surgeon, at least once or twice ... to see what's going on. 

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8359 on: July 21, 2020, 03:32:29 AM
seems like she needs to see an ENT surgeon, at least once or twice ... to see what's going on.
She went once, because I had an appointment because of my tinnitus, this guys was nasty, he freaking shoved something in my ears and I was nearly screaming, she has a fear of it and did some of it but couldn’t handle it, all I know is I thought this guy was going to pull brains out, that’s how painful it was!
JR

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #8360 on: July 21, 2020, 09:10:09 PM
JR
Yes, but the doc used warm water and a sucker and a blower thingy. Sorry about Mrs. P’s hearing loss

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #8361 on: July 21, 2020, 11:15:44 PM
Yes, but the doc used warm water and a sucker and a blower thingy. Sorry about Mrs. P’s hearing loss

Same...  and the water came out in a very low pressure stream.  He demonstrated on the back of my hand and I couldnt even feel it.  The water went in and he vaccumed everything out at the same time so nothing got pushed in deeper. 

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8362 on: July 21, 2020, 11:36:45 PM
That’s not what this guy did, he freaking used some tool I can’t even remember that’s how painful it was!
I’ve used a special ear syringe with warm water on the Mrs, it shoots in like four diff directions, and doesn’t hurt, I’d like to take a 2inch drywall screw just thread it in and pull it out! Lol,,
JR

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #8363 on: July 22, 2020, 12:33:47 AM
My wife calls me over and tells me a bee (murder hornet?) went into a hole in the brick and she sprayed with Windex and covered the hole with a paper towel.  I am like WTF, why does she spray everything with Windex?  ???

Anyways I used the tweezers on my SuperTinker to extract the dead carcass.  SAKs are awesome!

us Offline TonySal

Reply #8364 on: July 22, 2020, 02:01:43 AM
That’s not what this guy did, he freaking used some tool I can’t even remember that’s how painful it was!
I’ve used a special ear syringe with warm water on the Mrs, it shoots in like four diff directions, and doesn’t hurt, I’d like to take a 2inch drywall screw just thread it in and pull it out! Lol,,
JR
...hope she feels better but there actually IS a soft screw type little item that cleans the ears.
Dont remember the name or if it's legit.
There's always the MD or the SAK corkscrew  (sorry Mrs Mad Plumb)
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8365 on: July 22, 2020, 02:30:38 AM
...hope she feels better but there actually IS a soft screw type little item that cleans the ears.
Dont remember the name or if it's legit.
There's always the MD or the SAK corkscrew  (sorry Mrs Mad Plumb)
Yeah we looked into that, cause the little guy doesn’t like qtips, @16 I still clean his ears, but I think her wax is too deep for it to reach with that, ive already got the  :o face from the Mrs because of the corkscrew when I went to take the pin out, she’s all like “WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THAT?” I’m like oh the corkscrew, no no no, just the little pin.. lol.. I wish I had a camera for that look!
JR

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #8366 on: July 22, 2020, 03:19:45 AM
Yeah we looked into that, cause the little guy doesn’t like qtips, @16 I still clean his ears, but I think her wax is too deep for it to reach with that, ive already got the  :o face from the Mrs because of the corkscrew when I went to take the pin out, she’s all like “WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THAT?” I’m like oh the corkscrew, no no no, just the little pin.. lol.. I wish I had a camera for that look!
JR

We really are derailing this thread... but I will mention this.  If he never cleaned his ears at all, he should be just fine.  Many people go though their whole life without ever cleaning inside the ear.  One of the reasons that people get wax build-up at all is because of introducing things inside and causing irritation....creating a viscious cycle of irration and more wax.  Many times typical bathing is enough to keep things nice and open, if not that - a warm, soaked, washcloth going no deeper than the fingertip will suffice.  The wax isnt "wax" at all,and it melts in water.   After all, the Q-tip box itself says not to stick it in the ear, doesn't it. 

In the case of hearing loss it is possible that the wax is close to the eardrum, and pushing it onto the eardrum, or worse - perforating the eardrum itself with a tool can result in permanent hearing loss.  Wax that is really deep must be pulled... without as much as a micron of pushing deeper.  Also lying still during the procedure is essential.  Pain can occur when the front wall of the ear canal (the wall closer to the nose) it touched, and a nerve is stimulated.  Its like hitting the funnybone of the face.  Startling to be sure, but without lasting effects. 

I'm just worried that you all may be getting permanent damage by avoiding the ENT, after having a bad experience with one particular ENT surgeon.  and I fear that any sort of cleaning at all for your young son may be more counterproductive.  I don't mean to be preachy or give unsolicited advice, and I do apoloize for the intrusion, but hearing about your boy tugs at my heartstrings - I must point out that the young lad need not clean inside his ears at all.  The body has a way of sorting itself out until we mess with it so much that it doesn't know what to do with itself ... https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/3-reasons-to-leave-earwax-alone-2017051711718

And with that allow me to contribute to the intented purpose of the thread.  Today I opened a pre-packaged muffin for breakfast.  Not too glamourous, I know... but its one of the reasons I like the SAK...  it doesn't raise too many eyebrows in the break room.  That said, I did raise eyebrows the other day when my Pioneer X worked its way out of my pocket, and remained dangling from the suspension clip...   :facepalm:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8367 on: July 22, 2020, 03:51:21 AM
True, this morning I gave myself a manicure with the scissors and file,,
JR

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #8368 on: July 22, 2020, 04:29:00 AM
We really are derailing this thread... but I will mention this.  If he never cleaned his ears at all, he should be just fine.  Many people go though their whole life without ever cleaning inside the ear.  One of the reasons that people get wax build-up at all is because of introducing things inside and causing irritation....creating a viscious cycle of irration and more wax.  Many times typical bathing is enough to keep things nice and open, if not that - a warm, soaked, washcloth going no deeper than the fingertip will suffice.  The wax isnt "wax" at all,and it melts in water.   After all, the Q-tip box itself says not to stick it in the ear, doesn't it. 

In the case of hearing loss it is possible that the wax is close to the eardrum, and pushing it onto the eardrum, or worse - perforating the eardrum itself with a tool can result in permanent hearing loss.  Wax that is really deep must be pulled... without as much as a micron of pushing deeper.  Also lying still during the procedure is essential.  Pain can occur when the front wall of the ear canal (the wall closer to the nose) it touched, and a nerve is stimulated.  Its like hitting the funnybone of the face.  Startling to be sure, but without lasting effects. 

I'm just worried that you all may be getting permanent damage by avoiding the ENT, after having a bad experience with one particular ENT surgeon.  and I fear that any sort of cleaning at all for your young son may be more counterproductive.  I don't mean to be preachy or give unsolicited advice, and I do apoloize for the intrusion, but hearing about your boy tugs at my heartstrings - I must point out that the young lad need not clean inside his ears at all.  The body has a way of sorting itself out until we mess with it so much that it doesn't know what to do with itself ... https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/3-reasons-to-leave-earwax-alone-2017051711718

And with that allow me to contribute to the intented purpose of the thread.  Today I opened a pre-packaged muffin for breakfast.  Not too glamourous, I know... but its one of the reasons I like the SAK...  it doesn't raise too many eyebrows in the break room.  That said, I did raise eyebrows the other day when my Pioneer X worked its way out of my pocket, and remained dangling from the suspension clip...   :facepalm:
Ummmm

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #8369 on: July 22, 2020, 04:31:17 AM
My PX scissors got the most use it ever has. From cutting thin zip ties to hard plastic bands it ate all of it. And cutting bandage tape for the loose thumb nail. Quite impressed!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%