Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What did you use your Sak on today? 419894

No Life Club Posts: 1,150 The Spirit of Central Asia
Re: What did you use your Sak on today?
« Reply #9150 on: April 10, 2021, 10:54:21 AM »
Had to change a hard drive in an old mac book.

Used my XLT for every step: Philips #0 while opening and closing the machine and also while removing and fastening the hard drive. Had to use the pliers with one screw which got stuck. When I tried to put it back together there was a problem with the hard drive bumper. Had to file away some plastic - otherwise the screws won't match their corresponding holes.

After that little exercise I used the scissors on a package for breakfast.
Hero Member Posts: 813 The SAK Also Rises
« Reply #9151 on: April 11, 2021, 02:07:07 AM »
Used Cybertool pliers to pluck price/inventory staples out of cedar slats for raised planter boxes.

Used the metal saw/file tool in CT to file off a burr left after hacksawing off a screw point. Metal saw edge needs cutting improved. File is quite good. Vic needs to improve cutting of metal saw to be equal to the effectiveness of the file; then I could junk my hack saw, along with my file.

The future of the past is the present, even in clown world.
No Life Club Posts: 1,304 Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #9152 on: April 11, 2021, 02:13:45 AM »
It's getting to the point now where I really don't even notice what I use my SAK on because I use it so much, for so many things, without thinking. The only thought process is, which of the SAKs I have on hand will be best for this job, or easiest to get out and open up, etc. ?  :think:

This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?
No Life Club Posts: 4,088 join The American Legion Family - since 1919
« Reply #9153 on: April 11, 2021, 03:53:58 AM »
It's getting to the point now where I really don't even notice what I use my SAK on because I use it so much, for so many things, without thinking. The only thought process is, which of the SAKs I have on hand will be best for this job, or easiest to get out and open up, etc. ?  :think:
  :iagree:

join KNIFE RIGHTS
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 10,066 \o/
« Reply #9154 on: April 11, 2021, 09:16:51 AM »
Used Cybertool pliers to pluck price/inventory staples out of cedar slats for raised planter boxes.

Used the metal saw/file tool in CT to file off a burr left after hacksawing off a screw point. Metal saw edge needs cutting improved. File is quite good. Vic needs to improve cutting of metal saw to be equal to the effectiveness of the file; then I could junk my hack saw, along with my file.

Is it the "new" stainless steel version?

You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.
« Reply #9155 on: April 11, 2021, 12:23:45 PM »
Pliers on SAKs have become so frequently used that I wish Vic would add them to any 2 layer model to become a 3 layer. A Tinker with pliers would be super. For example, I used to pry staples out with the cap lifter’s tip, but the pliers is so much easier and faster!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 12:44:39 PM by SgtTowser »

« Reply #9156 on: April 11, 2021, 12:40:24 PM »
Is it the "new" stainless steel version?

Ah, good point. It is on a CT sold late 2019. Looks stainless, but I haven’t visually compared it to my old Champion file yet, which used to saw off screws more easily.

No Life Club Posts: 2,720
« Reply #9157 on: April 11, 2021, 02:09:44 PM »
Pliers on SAKs have become so frequently used that I wish Vic would add them to any 2 layer model to become a 3 layer. A Tinker with pliers would be super. For example, I used to pry staples out with the cap lifter’s tip, but the pliers is so much easier and faster!

No SgtTowser, a Tinker with scissors would be Super. A Tinker with pliers would be Deluxe.

Sorry

I'll see myself out.  :pommel:
« Reply #9158 on: April 11, 2021, 02:31:27 PM »
No SgtTowser, a Tinker with scissors would be Super. A Tinker with pliers would be Deluxe.

Sorry

Hmmmmm

A tinker with pliers and no scissors would be a Semi Deluxe Tinker.

This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?
« Reply #9159 on: April 12, 2021, 07:01:45 AM »
I built a custom SAK about a month ago that is now my daily carry.  I've really enjoyed it.  I seem to use screwdrivers more than I think normal people do, due to my tinkering, makering, 80 year old house, etc.

Here it is tightening a loose door handle.  It's great to be able to just whip it out, screw around, and carry on. 

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

:iagree:

« Reply #9160 on: April 12, 2021, 07:18:32 AM »

Sorry

The deluxe Tinker is the next SAK I’m going to pick up, because I like to carry two SAKs each one with pliers, so I can ply from both ends, or choose the optimal tool to drive on either tool, and ply with the other. This is even more desirable to me now that I have expanded my driver opportunity set on my Cypertool with a Wiha 4mm to 1/4” converter. Presently I carry a CYBERTOOL L and an S557 Wenger, which gives me exceptional flexibility of wrenching/driving choice, and exceptional  tool density, as well as one 91mm form factor and one 84mm form factor. But with the expanded sockets and drive tips the converter allows on the CT, I can afford to cut back layers from the S557 to a DELUXE Tinker. But what I would really like is just a Tinker with a plier layer added, OR my ultimate ideal—a 111mm OHO Sentinel with a plier layer added to it.

I have tried carrying a 111mm Work Champ with my CT and it’s just too much knife load out for my taste, though I really like the big blade and big pliers.

CT-L with a Sentinel with a big plier layer added would be SAK Nirvana for me.

In never need two scissors. I never need two can openers and two cap lifters. I don’t need two parcel hooks and two awls. And so on. But I do need two pliers and one hand opening on at least one of my two knives.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 08:21:39 AM by SgtTowser »

« Reply #9161 on: April 12, 2021, 08:13:24 AM »

This is why I weaned off my leatherman tools and my  “real” tools and came full circle back to SAKs. If I were still working with money riding on things, then I would pack a leatherman, and a Wiha 11 in One set, plus all my tool boxes, plus god only knows what other new stuff exists I don’t even know about.

But I’m retired. And my goal has been to lean down to a tool set that frees me of as much stuff as possible. Two SAKS, one in each pocket, does it.  I love my CT-L in one pocket and my WENGER S-557 in the other. No clips. No nursery knife. Every tool on both are visible with a quick flip. No unfolding this and opening that. No opening and closing a tool box. No rummaging through other tools to find the tool I want. Either I fix it right then, which I usually do, or speed dial some one else to solve it. If I’m bored, I’ll go to my real tools, otherwise it’s fix now, or speed dial. I can’t believe how often I use my two SAKs and how rarely stuff hangs over my head anymore. My way won’t work for those that want to McGuyver every situation, or that HAVE to go get their real tools, both proving their skill and resourcefulness. I respect that. I just have nothing left to prove. I carry tools now solely to keep things from hanging over my head.

Just. Use. The. Tool.

NOW!

Or...

Speed dial.

I can’t tell ya how much more I enjoy my days, when I no longer feel I have to fix everything.

:woohoo:

But I still mightily respect all those at that time of life, in the crossfire, when they HAVE to, or the wheels come off.

No Life Club Posts: 2,720
« Reply #9162 on: April 12, 2021, 11:53:13 PM »
The deluxe Tinker is the next SAK I’m going to pick up, because I like to carry two SAKs each one with pliers, so I can ply from both ends, or choose the optimal tool to drive on either tool, and ply with the other. This is even more desirable to me now that I have expanded my driver opportunity set on my Cypertool with a Wiha 4mm to 1/4” converter. Presently I carry a CYBERTOOL L and an S557 Wenger, which gives me exceptional flexibility of wrenching/driving choice, and exceptional  tool density, as well as one 91mm form factor and one 84mm form factor. But with the expanded sockets and drive tips the converter allows on the CT, I can afford to cut back layers from the S557 to a DELUXE Tinker. But what I would really like is just a Tinker with a plier layer added, OR my ultimate ideal—a 111mm OHO Sentinel with a plier layer added to it.

I have tried carrying a 111mm Work Champ with my CT and it’s just too much knife load out for my taste, though I really like the big blade and big pliers.

CT-L with a Sentinel with a big plier layer added would be SAK Nirvana for me.

In never need two scissors. I never need two can openers and two cap lifters. I don’t need two parcel hooks and two awls. And so on. But I do need two pliers and one hand opening on at least one of my two knives.

Theres probably a 2 SAK user thread somewhere around here you'd be interested in.  That's a well planned system you have.  Reading this, I was going to suggest a 111mm... but it seems you already thought of that. 

This is why I weaned off my leatherman tools and my  “real” tools and came full circle back to SAKs. If I were still working with money riding on things, then I would pack a leatherman, and a Wiha 11 in One set, plus all my tool boxes, plus god only knows what other new stuff exists I don’t even know about.

But I’m retired. And my goal has been to lean down to a tool set that frees me of as much stuff as possible. Two SAKS, one in each pocket, does it.  I love my CT-L in one pocket and my WENGER S-557 in the other. No clips. No nursery knife. Every tool on both are visible with a quick flip. No unfolding this and opening that. No opening and closing a tool box. No rummaging through other tools to find the tool I want. Either I fix it right then, which I usually do, or speed dial some one else to solve it. If I’m bored, I’ll go to my real tools, otherwise it’s fix now, or speed dial. I can’t believe how often I use my two SAKs and how rarely stuff hangs over my head anymore. My way won’t work for those that want to McGuyver every situation, or that HAVE to go get their real tools, both proving their skill and resourcefulness. I respect that. I just have nothing left to prove. I carry tools now solely to keep things from hanging over my head.

Just. Use. The. Tool.

NOW!

Or...

Speed dial.

I can’t tell ya how much more I enjoy my days, when I no longer feel I have to fix everything.

:woohoo:

But I still mightily respect all those at that time of life, in the crossfire, when they HAVE to, or the wheels come off.

I used to carry a Leatherman- it was just what I needed.  The bonus was, I didn't need a separate knife.  Maybe I never needed one... but it was nice to carry the One Thing.   I moved o to SAKs because I didnt need pliers, and SAKs were more versatile for what I was doing. 

The thing is - choices.... too many choices among SAKs for my little mind to compute.   Picking two just doesn't work for me - Maybe one day, but not at this point in my life.
« Reply #9163 on: April 13, 2021, 05:13:29 AM »
Well today the Farmer got an exercise at the Sawmill. I'm forever losing the little breather caps off our lube water tanks. I'll show you in 5 pictures what I did, and then the 6th picture shows the lube tank installed on the sawmill in operational position.

Sorry I got these pictures out of order a little. Third one I think should be first....

« Reply #9164 on: April 13, 2021, 05:17:38 AM »
 And then....

And notice in the last picture, the tank is installed, and the Farmer is dangling off the control panel once again on the ignition key.

Point Of No Return Posts: 30,924 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
« Reply #9165 on: April 14, 2021, 02:03:48 AM »
Got some jerky, needed the sak to open them!
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room and tripped on a Can and bowed to the Porcelain God!
Hero Member Posts: 867 Improvisational Engineer
« Reply #9166 on: April 14, 2021, 02:44:23 AM »
Very cool, Jim.

-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?
« Reply #9167 on: April 14, 2021, 04:37:02 AM »
Very cool, Jim.

You should check out my recent post in "Pictures of your SAK outside" about this knife.  ;)

No Life Club Posts: 3,110
« Reply #9168 on: April 14, 2021, 05:58:05 AM »
I used the scissors on my Spirit to cut a couple rogue hairs while shaving a couple weekends ago.

I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings
Newbie Posts: 37
« Reply #9169 on: April 14, 2021, 10:05:31 AM »
Blade and scissors get used several times a day in an office setting.  Lots of boxes, packages and things to cut/open/etc.  the blade is quite handy when cutting the plastic ribbon wrapped around a big box of printer paper.

And almost every week or month I use my SAK to cut open a package that I received in the mail that usually contains....another SAK.  :ahhh
No Life Club Posts: 1,129
« Reply #9170 on: April 14, 2021, 02:06:31 PM »
Forgot to post this one a week ago or so

Been using a work champ awl to mark the holes to be drilled

Show content
Why would I need that?

Well I mentioned earlier here somewhere that I bought for me and my lady a Withings Sleep Analyzer - a really interesting piece of technology if you ask me.
The only downside to it is that it requires a solid surface under your mattress to function as intended. We have a slatted frame and the manual says it can be used, but you should place something on top of it to provide a solid surface. The manual suggested a piece of cardboard, but I had a few floor laminate planks left over and they seem to be of a perfect width, so only length should have been adjusted.

So iPhone was used to take the approximate measures

And afterwards here come my Dremel friends

Everything works as intended so far and I’m really happy about our new gadgets

Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.
« Reply #9171 on: April 14, 2021, 02:23:30 PM »
Nice, but please do not wear gloves when using a drill press or a Dremel. Please just don't.

Point Of No Return Posts: 30,924 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
« Reply #9172 on: April 14, 2021, 03:08:28 PM »
Nice, but please do not wear gloves when using a drill press or a Dremel. Please just don't.
Or a lathe!
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room and tripped on a Can and bowed to the Porcelain God!
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,277 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #9173 on: April 14, 2021, 03:11:52 PM »
Got some jerky, needed the sak to open them!
JR

Why?! Couldn't you just jerk it open?...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

No Life Club Posts: 1,129
« Reply #9174 on: April 14, 2021, 05:50:46 PM »
Day 14

110 is jealously watching a Work Champ is performing a kitchen scale maintenance.

Totally love the slim Phillips - as always - probably my most used and beloved tool on a Work Champ.

Disassembled, cleaned and ready to rock again

Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.
« Reply #9175 on: April 14, 2021, 06:47:04 PM »
Or a lathe!
JR

Why would you wear a lathe when using a drill press :whistle:

You're right of course :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 07:01:38 PM by Reinier »

No Life Club Posts: 1,150
« Reply #9176 on: April 14, 2021, 09:23:53 PM »

Really? When I worked in a fabrication factory you were forced to were gloves when you did anything, including the drill press... So how close to a horrific injury was I?  :think:

Become the night and join us for the Batman Challenge in January!
« Reply #9177 on: April 14, 2021, 10:40:05 PM »
Well I guess it depends on the type/material :think:

No Life Club Posts: 1,150
« Reply #9178 on: April 14, 2021, 10:55:28 PM »
Working ungalvanised steel  :dunno:

Become the night and join us for the Batman Challenge in January!
« Reply #9179 on: April 14, 2021, 10:57:23 PM »
Really? When I worked in a fabrication factory you were forced to were gloves when you did anything, including the drill press... So how close to a horrific injury was I?  :think:

None, as long as you kept your gloved hands away from the moving parts....

Now, me, I practically never wear gloves, unless it's for wamth, like when it's below freezing out. And it's rarely below freezing where I live now.

I go bear-handed all day long, and that includes changing chainsaw chains, sawmill blades, and handling barbed wire and blackberry bushes. I've just learned not to grab things where the sharp parts are. I find gloves very clunky and snagworthy, and they keep me from feeling my work. I don't have much strength in my hands (for my size and weight), and so I need to intelligently feel where I'm putting pressure on stuff, to keep from dropping it or having it slip out of my hands. Strangely my hands are not calloused, but it's for that same reason....I don't grip anything very tightly, only tightly enough to keep from dropping it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $43.49
PayPal Fees: $2.52
Net Balance: $40.97
Below Goal: $259.03
Site Currency: USD
 14%