Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What did you use your Sak on today?

colt 1911 · 10795 · 568299

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
What did you use your Sak on today?
Reply #9180 on: April 14, 2021, 11:30:56 PM
Nice, but please do not wear gloves when using a drill press or a Dremel. Please just don't.
But why?

Update: oh well, I’ve read the above. It might make sense, but my gloves are really tight fitting and I tend to stay away from any moving parts :)
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

us Offline PeaceInOurTime

Re: What did you use your Sak on today?
Reply #9181 on: April 15, 2021, 05:22:46 AM
Cut some branches with the Camper

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #9182 on: April 15, 2021, 09:29:12 PM
About the glove thing and also sweaters and shirts, I remember when I started working me and a friend was using a drill press and this old fart comes over yelling at us and stopping the drill, young and foolish we just looked at him and wondered what his problem was. Then he told the story of him being young and like us.

This was a time before emergency stop buttons I might ad, but he did some work with a drill press over lunch and his glove got stuck in the drill and got a good take on his shirt making his arm go right in to the drill and chuck. He could not reach the stop button but had to scream for help and it took some time before his coworkers got to him. Then he showed us his scar going from the wrist up to the armpit where the chuck just spun around. Wasn't a pretty sight and we got the point.

I have NEVER had gloves or any fabric around rotating tools after that, I always pull me sleeves up no matter what I'm working on. This staid in my head really good and got an unpleasant remainder when a coworker got stuck like that a couple of years ago. He did pretty fine and just broke his arm.

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #9183 on: April 15, 2021, 10:20:26 PM
Exactly, Kottskrappa - same with long hair, ties etc - just don’t near spinning machine tools...

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #9184 on: April 16, 2021, 05:02:28 AM
Exactly, Kottskrappa - same with long hair, ties etc - just don’t near spinning machine tools...

Tractor PTO's are really deadly.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #9185 on: April 16, 2021, 09:57:58 AM
Haven't posted a pic for a while so here is mailcall, these are bottles for DIY noses pray. I prefer salt water instead for the ones you get at the store

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

Offline nolongerlurking27

Reply #9186 on: April 17, 2021, 11:35:39 AM
No pics but a fun use yesterday.
Needed to use a jack, howver the retaining pin that allowed us to pump the jack up had lost its small clip and kept falling out. This led to us all looking around for a small nail or screw that could be used just to get the job done. Nothing was found and this was a bit of an issue until I remebered that I had upgraded all my knives to plus scales and therefore had .... THE PEN. This fitted perfectly and allowed us to get the job done.
Another win for the climber!!  :climber: :climber: :climber:

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #9187 on: April 17, 2021, 03:14:27 PM
No pics but a fun use yesterday.
Needed to use a jack, howver the retaining pin that allowed us to pump the jack up had lost its small clip and kept falling out. This led to us all looking around for a small nail or screw that could be used just to get the job done. Nothing was found and this was a bit of an issue until I remebered that I had upgraded all my knives to plus scales and therefore had .... THE PEN. This fitted perfectly and allowed us to get the job done.
Another win for the climber!!  :climber: :climber: :climber:

:ahhh

Oh my. Not the pen. Could the toothpick have worked? (Whatever it takes to get you out of your pinch, I understand). So...did the pen bend or break in the process?
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

Offline nolongerlurking27

Reply #9188 on: April 17, 2021, 09:40:55 PM
:ahhh

Oh my. Not the pen. Could the toothpick have worked? (Whatever it takes to get you out of your pinch, I understand). So...did the pen bend or break in the process?

:D Not sure the tooth pic may have worked but I am quite junior on that team so figured I d play my best card first !! It actually didnt bend at all. Granted its use was to stop another part falling out and I don't think it actually had any weight on it but I am still calling it a win !!

us Offline mrcgofga

Reply #9189 on: April 18, 2021, 12:49:15 AM
Used my trusty Wenger Standard Issue 87 on my Stihl chainsaw. The locking flat head works wonders for the tune up. If you're familiar with the old Stuhls they kinda have to have a little gas dropped in them before getting going. But once going they are beasts. Mine is like 30+ years old I believe from some research. Cuts like a dream.
20210417_184822.jpg
* 20210417_184822.jpg (Filesize: 185.71 KB)
20210417_184649.jpg
* 20210417_184649.jpg (Filesize: 343.12 KB)
Is that a knife in your pocket or are you glad to see me? It's a knife.

Reply #9190 on: April 18, 2021, 03:15:19 AM
Cut some thread while repairing a seam.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 03:21:22 AM by PeaceInOurTime »

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #9191 on: April 18, 2021, 03:36:53 AM
I've been trying to repair my washing machine. The pump had to be removed, which meant an electrical block terminal had to be disconnected. I needed to depress a lock in a slot to separate them, and the Rambler's nail file was perfect for it.
Rambler

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #9192 on: April 18, 2021, 04:37:37 AM
Used my trusty Wenger Standard Issue 87 on my Stihl chainsaw. The locking flat head works wonders for the tune up. If you're familiar with the old Stuhls they kinda have to have a little gas dropped in them before getting going. But once going they are beasts. Mine is like 30+ years old I believe from some research. Cuts like a dream.

They certainly don't make them like they used to!

Reply #9193 on: April 18, 2021, 07:50:44 PM
Used the Camper's awl to start several pilot holes for hook and loop latches. Also used the cork screw as a lever to screw them in. As my nine month old twins are becoming more mobile they get into more things they shouldn't. Child-proofing never ends!

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Reply #9194 on: April 18, 2021, 11:26:27 PM
 :like:

Excellent use!
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #9195 on: April 19, 2021, 01:50:01 AM
Needed the sak to cut open all the straps, the box, plastic bags, zip ties, and the unique plastic/cardboard panel holding all the nuts, bolts, and washers.. worked great!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline mrcgofga

Reply #9196 on: April 19, 2021, 02:28:58 AM
They certainly don't make them like they used to!

You ain't never lied JTB.
Is that a knife in your pocket or are you glad to see me? It's a knife.

Offline SwissMix2020

Reply #9197 on: April 19, 2021, 10:02:36 AM
Had to open a tube of kids toothpaste.  The foil cover is impossible to grip or peel off, punctured it with the awl and it was then easy to peel away the foil.

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #9198 on: April 20, 2021, 02:11:10 AM
I was hanging lights under my deck with tie wraps but the tie wraps would not fit through the holes on the mount.  The Super Tinker awl came out and I made the holes bigger, problem solved.   :tu:

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #9199 on: April 20, 2021, 08:23:35 PM
Used my trusty Explorer to cut open many bags of lobster compost for the raised beds I built for M’lady.
 :cheers:

Reply #9200 on: April 22, 2021, 01:05:53 AM
Cracked some peanuts :)

fi Online old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #9201 on: April 25, 2021, 04:25:35 PM
Strain screw work. Was getting misfires, Spartan to the rescue, grips off and tightening of the said screw (well, I hope, will have to wait for the next range session to confirm):

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by this axe I rule

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #9202 on: April 26, 2021, 02:52:03 PM
Strain screw work. Was getting misfires, Spartan to the rescue, grips off and tightening of the said screw (well, I hope, will have to wait for the next range session to confirm):
(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goodness, I hate misfires.

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #9203 on: April 27, 2021, 05:34:25 AM
For the first time since I got the Cybertool L, it never left the slip or my pocket once today until this photo op!

There it is: peaking out of my makeshift slip...a Design Optics synthetic pouch for my glasses that has been dedicated to CT protection.

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9204 on: May 01, 2021, 02:54:47 AM
Rambler SD used to fix up one my Christy’s

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #9205 on: May 01, 2021, 05:20:06 AM
Built a rolling planter box and topped it with a pvc box. Covered  top and two  sides with shade cloth. Used my SAK to cut 5/8”drip lines, awl to punch holes for 2gal per hour drip disks, and a section of quarter inch line for overhead misters. Then spliced in a couple valves. Could not find my irrigation tool box with the plastic tubing  cutter (talk about a cutting tool I would like to see added to a SAK) and hole punch. Job done. Assorted vegetables sprouted and happy in their cool, moist micro environment in the arid west where it hit 93 yesterday. Finished under the stars by the Big Rock Candy Mountains where...

“In the Big Rock Candy Mountains
All the cops have wooden legs
And the bulldogs all have rubber teeth
And the hens lay soft-boiled eggs
The farmers' trees are full of fruit
And the barns are full of hay
Oh, I'm bound to go
Where there ain't no snow
Where the rain don't fall
The wind don't blow
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains“
—Harry McKlintock, The Big Rock Candy Mountain

I have to build 5 more, but this was the prototype and so the rest will go faster.

Prairie dogs, ground squirrels, raccoons, deer, mountain lions, javelina, eat your hearts out. You aren’t getting my veggies this year!!!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 08:03:10 AM by SgtTowser »

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #9206 on: May 01, 2021, 05:21:46 PM
Refilling a pepper mix grinder

Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #9207 on: May 03, 2021, 02:14:43 AM
cut a broken banana leaf from this banana plant after transplanting outside for the spring/summer/fall.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #9208 on: May 03, 2021, 02:46:48 AM
Was out with the kids scooting and lost one of the allen nuts. Found it shortly after, but forgot to bring the Allen wrench set.  :facepalm:  Troublemaker to the rescue...turns out the in-line Phillips works as a substitute 5mm hex!

Re-enactment:

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #9209 on: May 03, 2021, 02:34:24 PM
Was out with the kids scooting and lost one of the allen nuts. Found it shortly after, but forgot to bring the Allen wrench set.  :facepalm:  Troublemaker to the rescue...turns out the in-line Phillips works as a substitute 5mm hex!

Re-enactment:
Good to know and cool pic!
 :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24