Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox swisstool cs markings

za Offline Mesbefok

• A cigar a day keeps the doctor away!
Victorinox swisstool cs markings
on: December 19, 2012, 07:33:29 PM
Ive bought 2 swisstool cs multi tools about the same time Dec 2012. The tools look the same but the one cs has the red painted 'VICTORINOX SwissTool' marking on the handle as well as the cross on the plier head while the other cs hasn't any. I'm interested why this can happen. Anyone knows why??
BEFOK!!!!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: Victorinox swisstool cs markings
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:38:43 PM
I know a year or so ago they dropped the Vic shield from the plier head on the Spirit, so it would make sense they would do the same on the Swisstool.  They also changed the engraving on the spirit's handles, so maybe they dropped the enamel markings on the swisstool and changed to an engraving at the same time too.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 08:06:17 PM
Yeah I read somewhere that the Swisstool did have the red paint removed and engravings to match the current style on the Spirit. The place you bought it from just happened to have one of each version in stock still when you bought yours.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 07:42:41 PM
That is correect, I own one without the handle "red" also.

za Offline Mesbefok

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 08:27:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I just like the red paint mark a lot. Gives it more character.
BEFOK!!!!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 02:18:45 AM
Ironically, when I had my Swisstool the first thing I did was remove the red stripe because I hated it lol.

us Offline carl

Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 09:04:19 AM
1)  So if I buy one WITHOUT the red mark and WITHOUT the stamping on the plier head, will it come with the coarser file?  I want one with the coarse file for sure.

2)  BTW, does it have a stamp marking "Victorinox" in place of the red painting marking or is it now just blank at that spot with no marking or stamping?

3)  Also, most Swisstools up to now have the handle marked "Victorinox" with the shield in FRONT of the word "Victorinox". 

Will the latest model be marked on the handle with the shield ABOVE the word "Victorinox" instead?  See link below for pic from page 12 of thread titled:  Swisstools the different models

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1575.0;attach=38118;image

4)  When the shield stamp is ABOVE the word "Victorinox" on the handle, the word "Victorinox" is smaller font since it needs to make some room for the shield above it. 

I feel this change along with no stamp on the head, no red paint, etc.. are steps backward and are nothing more than cost-saving measures - disappointing IMHO.  Unless the head is now stronger without the stamp but I doubt that.

5)  Which brings me to my final question:  Are there any improvements with this latest model other than these cost-saving measures?

thanks.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:34:51 AM by carl »

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 04:13:18 PM
You are right. The handles now say victorinox with a shield above them. However, the plier head is not a good sign as to wether you have the most recent model. I just bought one and it has the new handles, but the plier has a shield on it. Mine is the standard Swisstool and I see the serrated blade is now a sheets foot blade. As for the x model with no serrated blade, I am don't know if there are any changes other than the markings.

za Offline Mesbefok

Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 09:21:05 PM
I have both: one without red mark and shield on plier (newer model) and one with red mark and shield on plier. In reply to Carl the following:

1 The file on the newer swisstool (without marks) has the same courseness as older model file,

2 It does have a stamp mark 'VICTORINOX'  with shield on top (above) in place of red mark,

3 The font size and appearance of stamped 'VICTORINOX' with shield on top is the same for both models old and new,

4 The head on new model without stamp is not stronger than older model,

5 There seems to be no improvement on newer model.

So yes it seems like maybe a cost cutting measure. Im not sure why only a cosmetic change.
BEFOK!!!!

za Offline Mesbefok

Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 09:27:37 PM
And also yes Carl the font size from new stamped mark 'VICTORINOX' is smaller than red paint mark AND looks the same as stamped mark on older tool and with shield on top.
BEFOK!!!!

us Offline carl

Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 10:55:44 PM
Thanks guys for your answers.  I assumed getting a Swisstool X with non-stamped plier head would guarantee I got the coarser file with it but based on your answers I guess not.

I assume the cost-cutting measures of deleting what are cosmetic items has probably helped Victorinox to maintain their prices - in fact the prices on the multitools don't seem to have risen at all in the last several years - which is nice.  However, I still prefer spending a bit more and getting the small extras like a stamped head.   

Since the red paint has been replaced with a "Victorinox" stamp, I like that.  If the red paint were not replaced with any stamp, that would have been a disappointment.

za Offline Mesbefok

Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 07:11:05 AM
At first I liked the red paint mark more than stamped mark. But the stamped mark after a while of looking at it seems more 'clean and neat'. Although I still prefer shield mark on plier.
BEFOK!!!!

us Offline carl

Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 07:32:25 AM
I prefer the stamp on the plier head too - without it, it looks generic.  Can we have the stamp on the plier head back please?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%