Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Red paint mark on swisstool or NOT

za Offline Mesbefok

• A cigar a day keeps the doctor away!
Red paint mark on swisstool or NOT
on: December 22, 2012, 09:43:07 PM
I've bought two swisstool cs tools. The newer model came WITHOUT the red paint mark 'Victorinox SwissTool' and shield in FRONT of red mark. The newer model came with stamped 'VICTORINOX' with shield on top and is the same as stamped mark on older model. Also the shield on plier is left out on newer model.

Which model do you prefer?

And any idea why VIctorinox has done this seemingly only cosmetic change?
BEFOK!!!!

us Offline carl

Re: Red paint mark on swisstool or NOT
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 11:11:01 PM
10 Reasons for the changes:

1)  Cheaper.  One stamping step in the process is undoubtedly cheaper than cleaning, masking and painting and bake-drying.

2)  Stamping is much quicker too than letting the red paint dry - no need for baking the paint.

3)  Less rejects from scratched paint; having to send a bunch of multitool handles back to the paint shop to get the paint re-done due to a scratch, chip, or paint smear must have been a royal pain in the neck.

4)  Less customers complaining about having their red paint scratched after the first day of use - another pain in the rear from picky US customers.

5)  Less returns from dishonest customers who scratched the paint themselves but claimed it came that way.

6)  Maybe the metal stamping work-hardens the metal and makes it marginally stronger.

7)  Someone mentioned making both models (Swisstool and Spirit) look the same with similar markings.  The Spirit never came with red paint.

8)  Maybe they finally realized paint doesn't stick well to a polished stainless surface.

9)  Any tool with paint scratches or chips, while completely understandable that it would be so, gives the impression of one that doesn't hold up well under use even though its only cosmetic wear - so Victorinox wanted to remove themselves from that negative perception.

10)  The Swiss seem to be environmentally conscious - maybe some environmentally-minded activist visited their shop and talked them into reducing paint fumes, solvent fumes, electricity conservation by reducing paint drying/baking oven usage, etc...  :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 11:20:15 PM by carl »

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 11:42:38 PM
I like the looks of the shield engraved in the plier head, but I like the scale engraving better than the paint, so my ideal would be a combination of both.

Since it is all cosmetic, it doesn't really make that much difference to me though.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Offline marduk

Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 01:11:12 AM
I think that Vic dropped the red markings as a result of the contract it received from the French govt. several years ago to supply its military for its new FELIN system w/the SwissTool (3.0323.3CN) modified w/an explosive crimper in the pliers' head & in black oxide. (I don't think the military would be very happy w/bright red & white markings on its equipment.) I believe the same was done for the Aussie military. This may have prompted the company to standardize all the SwissTools the same way.

za Offline Mesbefok

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 07:24:00 AM
Thanks Carl for insightful comments. Your comments on red mark paint defects makes sense. 

Although at first I resisted the changed look on newer tool the new stamped look without red mark seems to be more clean and neat (uncluttered). Now I like the new look more. Although I still prefer to have the shield mark on plier.
BEFOK!!!!

us Offline carl

Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 12:10:20 AM
At GPKnives is a pic of the latest Swisstool X with no plier head stamp, no red paint, and shield stamp ABOVE "Victorinox" on both sides of tool.

http://www.gpknives.com/victorinoxswisstoolx.html

I believe, although I am not certain, that the file is the new coarser profile because the teeth go right up to the tip.

us Offline carl

Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 08:43:04 PM
I think that Vic dropped the red markings as a result of the contract it received from the French govt. several years ago to supply its military for its new FELIN system w/the SwissTool (3.0323.3CN) modified w/an explosive crimper in the pliers' head & in black oxide. (I don't think the military would be very happy w/bright red & white markings on its equipment.) I believe the same was done for the Aussie military. This may have prompted the company to standardize all the SwissTools the same way.

That makes sense.  Although they didn't need to get rid of the stamp on the plier head just to allow it to go military.  I still prefer the stamp of the head.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 09:20:49 PM
I just bought a tool and it has the sheild still, so I am not convinced they dropped the shield. Perhaps they just don't care if the plier is made of two part without shields since the handles have the shield. Is that possible, that the back head of plier could be used for both sides? then it would have no shield.

us Offline carl

Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 04:31:24 AM
I like the looks of the shield engraved in the plier head, but I like the scale engraving better than the paint, so my ideal would be a combination of both.

Here is a pic of just what you want from GPKnives:

http://www.gpknives.com/victorinox-swisstool.html

Notice the stamp on the plier head and on both sides of handles but no red paint.

us Offline carl

Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 04:36:27 AM
I just bought a tool and it has the sheild still, so I am not convinced they dropped the shield. Perhaps they just don't care if the plier is made of two part without shields since the handles have the shield. Is that possible, that the back head of plier could be used for both sides? then it would have no shield.

You probably got a plier head that came off the assembly line before the change which left off the stamp on plier head. 

As for whether the plier halves are symmetric and switchable/transposable I don't know.

One thing about the stamp on the plier head - its pretty deep and probably holds muck and old oil and grease in there - no way to clean the plier head with one swipe of an oil rag - just another reason to get rid of the stamp.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 04:40:50 AM by carl »

za Offline Mesbefok

Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 06:00:23 AM
RE FILE
As u know I have the old and new tool: one with red paint mark and shield and one not.  The file on both these are however exactly the same and the tooth goes right up to the tip and the coarseness are the same.

It seems if the implementation of changes are not consistent and can differ from one tool to another.
BEFOK!!!!

us Offline carl

Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 03:10:28 AM
RE FILE
As u know I have the old and new tool: one with red paint mark and shield and one not.  The file on both these are however exactly the same and the tooth goes right up to the tip and the coarseness are the same.

That means you got the newer file on both tools - a good thing in this case.

Newer File: 
1)  The file teeth go right up to the tip - this is a newer file with more aggressive teeth.
2)  The newer more aggressive file has teeth only in one direction. 
3)  The increased aggressiveness of the teeth is a good change according to feedback from others. 
4)  It most closely matches the Spirit's file.

Older File:
1)  Does not have teeth for about the last 1/8 inch of the file at the tip - in fact, the file surface from the tip to about 1/8 inch down from the tip is just flat metal surface.
2)  File has mild teeth in 2 directions - the teeth cross over each other almost perpendicular to each other - this is clearly seen toward the tip and also at the base of the file where the 2 sets of teeth in 2 different directions make a triangle-like pattern where the teeth stop.
3)  Some have complained this milder file pattern is too mild for quick removal of material while doing file work.
4)  I have this file and it is quite smooth - it is very similar to my wife's smooth fingernail file.  Can't imagine using it on any metal surface - not even aluminum. 

Because of this issue, I may sell it later next year and get the newer tool with the newer file (depends on prices and so on).  I also prefer the Victorinox metal stamping on the handle rather than red paint, and the cleaner look of the newer plier head without the shield stamp is growing on me,  so I think its going to be the newer model for me all the way around.

Here is a link showing the different files from thread titled: Different Swisstool plier heads:  The truth

You will need to scroll about half-way down to get to the file picture.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2463.150.html

In the picture, the left file is the Spirit file; middle file is older file; right file is newer file in black oxide finish.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 03:32:52 AM by carl »

za Offline Mesbefok

Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 08:23:58 PM
Thanks for info. Luckily I have bought the swisstool with the coarser better file. I also like the cleaner look: no red paint mark and no cross on the plier head. It is really a nice solid looking tool.
BEFOK!!!!

us Offline carl

Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 10:50:55 AM
http://www.pensandleather.com/victorinox-swisstool-x.aspx

Here is a link to a Swisstool X with:

1)  New handles stamped with small shield ABOVE the word "Victorinox" rather than in front of the word "Victorinox".

2)  Older slimmer profile plier head - slimmer with less metal around the center pivot.  However, it does not have a shield stamped on it nor the word "Victorinox" stamped on it like previous older slimmer versions. 

You will need to select the top right picture to see this (There are about 7 pictures of the Swisstool so pick the one on the top row , right end.).

I have not seen this combo before. 

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:54:51 AM by carl »

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 04:25:01 PM
Some of those photos show the old plier head and some the new plier head, but as you point out, I don't know how those handles could have the old plier head. I wonder if it is a stock photo made by victorinox but does not represent production models. Good find!

us Offline carl

Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 06:54:02 AM
It does make things tricky for those of us who are in the market for a purchase and want certain features and can't be sure what will be sent to them, unless the seller knows what the minute differences are.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:40:16 AM by carl »

za Offline Mesbefok

Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 10:55:37 PM
I agree with u Carl. Even a well estabished knive shop's owner (sales personnel are even worse) in my country do not know the minute differences. And there dangless a Swisstool x on his hips! And he has minute differences in his swisstool stock ensemble etcetera that he is not even aware off! Maybe its unreasonable from me to expect them to know and to give sound advice on.
BEFOK!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD