Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My DREAM SAK... Where to start... Where to start?

Jtolly · 48 · 5202

us Offline Jtolly

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body.. Live hard
on: December 25, 2012, 11:00:26 PM
Ok... Let me start of by saying I've never modded any SAK or multitool but have been super into looking at mods for a while now. I've always wanted very specific tools on my EDC SAK. I live in the mountains and I'm always going on day hikes, overnight excursions and off-the-beaten-path adventures. I currently carry a SwissChamp due to its magnifying glass (emergency fire starter), Pen (use that daily) and pliers/scissors (daily use). I really wish the main blade was one hand operational and able to lock. Soooo... That turned me onto the WorkChamp and WC XL. I just wish it had a magnifying glass, pen in the scale and a one handed blade. I could do without a few of the tools on the sooo I'm considering modding a WorkChamp or WC XL to fit my EDC needs. Any help would be appreciated as this will be my first time doing anything like this. 
Dr. Joe

us Offline stealth007s

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Re: My DREAM SAK... Where to start... Where to start?
Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 11:16:42 PM
I'm by no means an expert in this area but have you thought about changing the scales? I have a Swiss Champ and will soon be doing carbon fibre scales on mine  :drool: :drool: :drool:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline Jtolly

Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 11:28:52 PM
I'm by no means an expert in this area but have you thought about changing the scales? I have a Swiss Champ and will soon be doing carbon fibre scales on mine  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Yes... I would love to but don't have the CF or tools to work with CF.
Dr. Joe

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 11:52:37 PM
Here is my ace suggestion:  Don't depend on a magnifying glass for firestarting.  You need fairly bright sunlight to achieve a flame.  Rather, toss in a magnesium block and ferro rod.  I've been able to start fires out ice climbing with that set up (Not necessary at Ouray  ;)).

I'm working with a fire piston right now.  I can get an ember, but getting to the fire stage is a little trickier.  :ahhh

us Offline Jtolly

Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 12:17:03 AM
Here is my ace suggestion:  Don't depend on a magnifying glass for firestarting.  You need fairly bright sunlight to achieve a flame.  Rather, toss in a magnesium block and ferro rod.  I've been able to start fires out ice climbing with that set up (Not necessary at Ouray  ;)).

I'm working with a fire piston right now.  I can get an ember, but getting to the fire stage is a little trickier.  :ahhh

Lol... This is true. I always carry a maxpedition EDC pack on my belt with mag/ferro rod and other survival gear for day hikes. If I do anything more than a quicky I always have a pack. I guess I should have been more specific.... I really only use the magnifying glass for fun or if I ever had a super emergency. :-) I know how hard it is... Damn near impossible.

Dr. Joe

us Offline Jtolly

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 12:21:28 AM
Any thoughts on modding a WorkChamp to accept a magnifying glass and one handed main blade? Ill probably swap the scales out for something more high tech and in the mean time ream out a ball point pen slot and even a attach a pocket clip if there's room.
Dr. Joe

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 12:37:27 AM
The mag glass is the easier of the 2. Switch out some tool(s) for the correct spring and tools. The one hand open blade is something totally different.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Jtolly

Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 12:41:34 AM
Do you think it's able to be done? I'm thinking about getting a WorkChamp and a Sentinel clip for the doner blade and pocket clip... Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 12:43:05 AM by Jtolly »
Dr. Joe

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 12:47:33 AM
After a little research, it should be possible. You will have to swap a few tools around here and there, and loose a few also. But it should be doable ;)
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Jtolly

Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 01:14:42 AM
Does anyone know a way to get this setup where I won't lose any of the WCs tools but gain the Mag-glass and one handed main blade? I haven't bought anything yet... So I'd like expert opinions before I dive in head first. :-D
Dr. Joe

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 01:21:24 AM
That would be getting wide.  You can always use long pins, but I don't think you could have the OHO blade and magnifying glass in the same layer

us Offline Jtolly

Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 01:35:26 AM
That would be getting wide.  You can always use long pins, but I don't think you could have the OHO blade and magnifying glass in the same layer

Well, not as wide as a WCXL... but we're talking about the WCs stock pins not being able to handle the extra layer ill be adding right? This will be my first mods so please excuse my newbeness. :-)
Dr. Joe

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 03:52:33 AM
you'd be using new pin stock so making it wider wouldn't matter in that regard.

the OHO and m. glass DEF will not fit in the same layer.

I believe the pin stock are different sizes on the regular 111mm vs the OHO 111mm

there is a thread about a super soldier http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=39281.0 that was made that should get you closer in combining regular and OHO 111mm

has anyone actually ever gotten a fire started with the SAK m. glass?  I don't want to say it's impossible but it's an awfully small lens that doesn't harness much light....

I know i tried a few times and couldn't do it.  generally something isn't for emergency use if you can't do it during regular times...

the handles on the 111mm could be altered to accept a pen and probably to accept a very thin ferro rod

good luck!

if you are still going to go with the m. glass, i'd look into swapping it with the can opener

us Offline WiSAKfan

us Offline Jtolly

Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 05:33:33 AM
Thanks for all the info. I was thinking about swapping the main locking blade for a OHO blade....  and adding another layer for the M. Glass (I was hoping to find an old school 8X). I would hate to lose the can opener or bottle opener... Actually I don't wanna lose any of the tools on the WC.

*** (After re-reading the last link... I don't think I'm going to put a OHO on this project. The main reason for the OHO was to have it as the main locking blade. It's just too much work to re-profile the OHO tang and everything.)

P.S.
I do really really like the mini ferro rod in the scale idea!!! You sir... Get 10 points.

P.P.S
I have gotten an ember with the MG... but living in dry ass Colorado never wanted to blow it into a flame. ;-)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 05:49:04 AM by Jtolly »
Dr. Joe

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 05:42:46 AM

I didn't mean to sound like I was pushing CF on you but what I was doing was asking if you considered other scales in general, not a particular type.

The CF isn't expensive and the tools aren't what you may think either.  I know nothing about working with CF but I am willing to learn, that's part of the challenge to me. I have been asking/ bugging those that have the experience to learn and for the most part they have taught me a bunch, it's part of being a member here. I am very appreciative of that.

:cheers:

Terry

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 05:52:43 AM
glad to help, it's the modders code.

in a pinch the bottle opener can be used as a can opener, so some of us have been replacing the can opener with other tools.

there are saks with pruner blades or electricians blades in place of can opener, just saying.

hopefully the creator of the super soldier will find this thread and offer advice.

unless i'm confused you can't simply add a OHO blade to regular 111mm knife but you could put the tools from a 111mm knife onto a OHO knife.

us Offline Jtolly

Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 05:55:01 AM

I didn't mean to sound like I was pushing CF on you but what I was doing was asking if you considered other scales in general, not a particular type.

The CF isn't expensive and the tools aren't what you may think either.  I know nothing about working with CF but I am willing to learn, that's part of the challenge to me. I have been asking/ bugging those that have the experience to learn and for the most part they have taught me a bunch, it's part of being a member here. I am very appreciative of that.

:cheers:

Im finding that the people are really really quite cool on this forum.... I dig that. :-) I would really love to put CF scales on my SwissChamp. I'd also like to swap the POS 5X M. Glass for the much nicer 8X MG. I've heard if you send the SAK to victorinox they'll do it for you... Is that true? (Anybody?)

Just FYI... I'm thinking about some kind of wood scales for the WC project.
Dr. Joe

us Offline Jtolly

Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 05:59:28 AM
glad to help, it's the modders code.

in a pinch the bottle opener can be used as a can opener, so some of us have been replacing the can opener with other tools.

there are saks with pruner blades or electricians blades in place of can opener, just saying.

hopefully the creator of the super soldier will find this thread and offer advice.

unless i'm confused you can't simply add a OHO blade to regular 111mm knife but you could put the tools from a 111mm knife onto a OHO knife.

I'm thinking of axing the OHO blade on this project... I'm not up for re-profiling the OHO tang to fit in the main lock blade position. :-(

As for the can opener swap for the M.Glass... I think that would work. Does the wide flat driver really work as a makeshift can opener? If so that's money!

Dr. Joe

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 06:21:10 AM
it's not perfect and i wouldn't want to do it for a dozen cans but in a pinch it works.

it works even better if you sharpen the underside

us Offline Jtolly

Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 12:07:25 AM
Well, I just ordered my WorkChamp for modifications. I think the first thing I'm going to tackle is the scales... I'm adding slots for a SAK ball point pen and a 4th slot for a ferro rod instead of the M.Glass.
Dr. Joe

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 12:12:49 AM
sounds like a good place to start.

please post pics when you have it done and post back with any questions.

link up the ferro rod you find

us Offline Jtolly

Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 04:17:39 AM
sounds like a good place to start.

please post pics when you have it done and post back with any questions.

link up the ferro rod you find

Thanks... I'm off to search for the mini ferro rod to use. I'll be back with a link to what I found.

Dr. Joe

us Offline Jtolly

Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 04:28:22 AM
I did find this ferro rod.... http://usaknifemaker.com/ferro-rods-survival-and-camping-c-69/ferro-cerium-firesteel-flint-rod-3-16-x-5.html
Its the smallest I could find and it STILL looks way toooooo thick. I'm thinking the way I can combat this is I'll designate the not lock side of the Workchamp for this ferro rod... its going to be a slightly thicker scale on that side but it will house the rod on one end and ball point pen on the other. Then on the lock side I'll move the toothpick and tweezers over to share the side. Any thoughts or suggestions? 

Found these also... http://firesteel.com/firesteel-miniature
I was also thinking of sticking a small magnesium stick on the same side as the ferro rod for that extra bang.... but this 3/8" x 3" is the smallest I could find http://firesteel.com/magnesium-tinder-rods/ I'm thinking I'll just shave it down to make it fit.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:45:32 AM by Jtolly »
Dr. Joe

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 04:32:41 AM
If you choose to go with the magnifying glass (and why not?), look for an older one. The new ones are plastic and IIRC about 4x; the older ones have the grey plastic frame and the real glass of 10x if memory serves. Having use a magnifier to try to light fires, glass works better and magnification would be a more is better thing, but magnifiers come in handy at the oddest of times.

Like when you can feel that there is still something under the skin, but you can't see it.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Jtolly

Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 04:45:56 AM
If you choose to go with the magnifying glass (and why not?), look for an older one. The new ones are plastic and IIRC about 4x; the older ones have the grey plastic frame and the real glass of 10x if memory serves. Having use a magnifier to try to light fires, glass works better and magnification would be a more is better thing, but magnifiers come in handy at the oddest of times.

Like when you can feel that there is still something under the skin, but you can't see it.

Thats funny... I was looking around for the 8x glass MG today for my SwissChamp... the 5x plastic crap that comes on them now sucks balls. I was hoping to find 2 of the 8xs and keep a spare in case I wanted to just go to town   on the WorkChamp and put the M.Glass on there too. lol
Dr. Joe

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 06:58:04 AM
Thanks... I'm off to search for the mini ferro rod to use. I'll be back with a link to what I found.

Isn't Metroplicity (Eric) working with ferro rod in his Commander project? You may want to ask where he got his.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,41159.msg662953.html#msg662953

Terry

us Offline Jtolly

Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 07:18:14 AM

Isn't Metroplicity (Eric) working with ferro rod in his Commander project? You may want to ask where he got his.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,41159.msg662953.html#msg662953

Good call! I'll PM him to make sure but it looks like the same 3/32" x 2" one I found.
Dr. Joe

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #28 on: December 27, 2012, 07:46:59 AM
Yeah, he's pretty helpful.

Sent from Endor using Schlapatalk

Terry

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #29 on: December 27, 2012, 04:30:12 PM

i've tried both the old and new m. glass for starting fires and had no success.  I wouldn't want to depend on them in an emergency situation.

there are plenty of other uses for m. glass though.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%