Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thinking about a SOG MT

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Thinking about a SOG MT
on: December 28, 2012, 04:21:21 PM
I have almost every brand MT except SOG, I was looking at a few different ones, I was looking for any opinions as to which one is good,comparisons to Leatherman and Gerber and observations on the assisted opening Power lock. Thanks in advance :multi:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Thinking about a SOG MT
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 04:33:58 PM
I realy like my sogs,although cool I didn't get on with the paratool as the pliers kept folding up  :-\ but the ppp is perfect for pocket carry and really like the pliers on it and the compound leverage really helps plus I added a clip and scissors (not sogs) and woodsaw,these replaced the blade and file,the files I find a bit hit and miss on sogs as the one on the ppp wasn't very good but the file on my powerlock is good but not in comparison to LM's diamond file  :D I also recommend the powerlock as a really solid working MT for tough jobs.   :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 04:52:01 PM
Do not buy the powerduo.... Nuff said..  ;)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 05:29:32 PM
Do not buy the powerduo.... Nuff said..  ;)

Did she?  :think:

:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Thinking about a SOG MT
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 05:37:41 PM
Take a look at the Power Pliers.. It doesn't get any better than this.. :tu:
http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Power+Plier

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 06:43:24 PM
The SOG Powerlock was my first name-brand, full size MT. The pliers are fantastic, but compared to other name brands, everything else was either on-par or terrible. The saw isn't nearly as good as leatherman or victorinox, the scissors were worse than any name brand tool I've ever owned, and the can opener flat out didn't work. The knife blade was okay. I did like the bit socket thingy.

I'll add one more thing that someone mentioned in another thread... the compound pliers can be used to pry things apart along with pressing them together. The compound leverage is no gimmick, it cuts the effort almost in half, great if you are doing repetitive hard tasks like cutting romex wire over and over.

Take this info as you will, and of course take it in perspective with other folks opinion.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 10:17:34 PM
My observations:

1 The compound action of the pliers is their best feature (as other have already said).

2  They are easy to change the tool load to customize it to your preferences, and the individual tools (components) are available separately (most manufacturers won't sell components for their plier-based MTs)

3  The individual tools are smaller than you'd expect on the larger models (they kept the tool components all the same size to allow point 2 above).

4 Models without gear covers dig into your hand if you do lots of screw driving. That means if you want the medium sized model (SOG pocket powerplier) you are better off with the Paladin PT-510 (made by SOG ppp but with gear covers).  Paladin also made a couple of other bigger variations designed more for electrician/IT use.

5 Sometimes the locks for individual tools don't lock properly (usually easy to fix with a small amount of judicious filing  of the slot in the tool).

6 Some people hate the tool covers, other like them.

You might want to handle a SOG before buying it, or take the "catch-and-release" approach where you buy a good s'hand one, keep it if you like it, or sell it on if you don't.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:19:56 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 02:32:18 PM
Do the tool covers get in the way? I really dont see the purpose of them.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 02:39:50 PM
I never minded the covers but they slide off so i don't use mine plus with the compound leverage i don't find you need as much force on the handles so comfort not a big issue ,but yes those gear covers do help  :tu:

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Thinking about a SOG MT
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 05:11:52 PM
The tool covers highlight the flawed design of the entire tool. I believe I can say this with some authority as I've owned, and broken, a number of MT's since the early days. For the record, I bought Lynn's PowerLock and have to agree with her findings and what others have expressed. The pliers are great and everything else is lack-lustre to pathetic. I have tried to give this tool a fair shake, and continue to try to use it, but my old Surge keeps on proving it's superiority.

When I received Lynn's PowerLock, I immediately replaced the blade with the wire stripping tool - which is flimsy, and incorrectly designed, so it is not much better than the serrations on the blade at stripping wires. I've found the file is made of "play dough" and has trouble cutting ferrous metals. The scissors are a waste of space when compared to my 20+ year old SAK's scissors or my Surge. The can opener is an insult to our intelligence. Even after grinding an edge onto it, it still performs pathetically due to it's flawed design. The saw is, well, it is there. The 1/4" driver is interesting, but the wire socket retention clip thingy is very easy to loose. And while having the driver lock at 90 degrees is great, but there is no way the cast driver would survive the torque that could be generated by using the tool with the handles extended.

On this particular PowerLock, there are also not enough washers installed between the tools, which has caused frustration with 'tool clumping' and the lock not functioning due to the frame being squeezed together by the pivot bolt. And it appears that the pivot bolt is too short to extend through both sides of the frame once enough washers are installed. Heck, even the lanyard attachment loop is a failure as it's hole is too big for the pivot bolt screw, and too small for the pivot bolt!

Now, back to the tool covers. They get in the way when trying to access any of the tools. They are difficult to open when wearing gloves. They slide off when gripping the pliers firmly. But if one removes the covers, the rather sharp edges of the handles become painful. So gloves are strongly recommended without the covers. But it is almost impossible to deploy any of the tools when wearing gloves.

So the bottom line, in my opinion, is that the PowerLock is a nifty pair of pliers that also includes a bunch of other tools you can't easily use and shouldn't depend on. Just like other SOG products, they are under designed and over marketed. If only SOG would transfer the marketing budget to the R&D department for a year or 2...

Dave

Sent from my iPad2
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 08:32:34 PM
Personal I find all the tools as good as all the other mt's I've used over the years,my only gripe tool wise is the file as some are ok and some are crap, if anything I see sogs as overbuilt and not underbuilt  :think: but hey its a personal thing and I like my sogs and find them solid tools but know some folk have had issues with them,but most have had issues with most mt's as there not all perfect  :D
Two of my user sogs  :tu:
CAM00139.jpg
* CAM00139.jpg (Filesize: 180.93 KB)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:34:28 PM by Zed »

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 09:17:59 PM
Now I am starting to second guess a purchase of a SOG,I think I might put my money towards a LM Crunch unless I can find a cheapy on Ebay

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 09:35:39 PM
The Crunch is a GREAT compact locking plier, but because of the design it has a very limited tool set (only one handle is available for tools, the other is occupied by the adjustment for the locking mechanism).  It will take std 1/4" hex bits (and bit drivers).

I don't find the tools on my SOGS all that horrible, but the tool covers are an acquired taste.  If you mainly use the pliers you'll be happy with it, but the covers require an extra operation to access the other tools, so can be a nuisance if you are frequently using the other tools.

It depends on your usage and preferences.  I say get one and try it out.  Until I handle a tool I don't know for sure whether I like it or not (unless everyone on MTO agrees it is rubbish, then I don't bother).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 09:37:30 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 01:30:10 PM
Thanks guy's , i think i will try a used one on ebay and then make up my mind about getting more :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 02:00:54 PM
Thanks guy's , i think i will try a used one on ebay and then make up my mind about getting more :tu:

Good idea and let us know your thoughts  :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 04:21:50 PM
I gotta stick up for the SOGs here!

Personally I feel the PPPs and the Paratools are the best of the bunch.I've had both the PowerAssist,and the Powerlock.Gotta say I'd love to add a PowerPlier too.

The Powerassist I just plain don't like,mostly because of the'switchblades',and the rather dodgy safety locks.I had no particular issue with the Powerlock other than the size....that and I liked Zeds Kukris rather more  ;)

I've never had a problem with the pliers folding on the Paratool,but I can see how it could happen.The PPPs are,in my experiance directly comparable to a PST,just with the benefit on compound leverage.As to the quality of the individual tools,again I'd say they're on a par with a PST.

If you can get a PPP,or better still a Paladin,at a good price,they're well worth a punt.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 04:42:03 PM
I gotta stick up for the SOGs here!

Personally I feel the PPPs and the Paratools are the best of the bunch.I've had both the PowerAssist,and the Powerlock.Gotta say I'd love to add a PowerPlier too.

The Powerassist I just plain don't like,mostly because of the'switchblades',and the rather dodgy safety locks.I had no particular issue with the Powerlock other than the size....that and I liked Zeds Kukris rather more  ;)

I've never had a problem with the pliers folding on the Paratool,but I can see how it could happen.The PPPs are,in my experiance directly comparable to a PST,just with the benefit on compound leverage.As to the quality of the individual tools,again I'd say they're on a par with a PST.

If you can get a PPP,or better still a Paladin,at a good price,they're well worth a punt.

well put john  :salute: and good comparison of the pst  :tu: i feel the ppp is like my pst but in a way better as i can remove the blade and add what i wanted too it plus the compound leverage is a bonus but yes gears can be a pain  :-\ so a paladin 510 would be better with guards and just wish sog would add them too there ppp as they did the powerlock  :think: for me the wood saw saws wood  :D the drivers drive screws  ::) and the blade cuts  :tu: and due to its size the ppp is ok in the pocket, i started with a paratool but wasnt for me as a user and prefer the ppp but still would have another paratool if one came along in BO  :D the powerlock is my go too mt for rough stuff and the 1/4 driver is a bonus, and im glad you like the Kukri still john  :tu: mine lives on top of my wardrobe  ;)

us Offline 6thtexas

Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 07:07:01 PM
I love my old tweeked Paratool.  It sees more use than any of my other MTs.

Offline mulou

Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 10:46:53 AM
I looked at all MTs and for me the main usage is as pliers/wire cutters.
Screw drivers on pliers-based MT always suck somehow. I use that instead : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21141__Turnigy_6_in_1_Multi_Tool_Flat_Phillip_Hex_1_5_2_0_2_5_3_0mm_.html  - true hardened heads too, it's actually very good). So I just need a bit driver for "exotic heads" in fact.

So in the end what I "want" is:

- very good pliers/cutters
- good saw
- decent file
- bit driver
- scissors

So I looked at the surge, and modding it with a supertool 300 head (no fun..and the 2013 surge will have the head but not the bit driver, gaah), and still weaker than the SOG.. even thus all other tools do seem better, I went with the SOG power lock (S60 N w/ bit driver and scissors).

Worst case if I don't like it.... I'll get knippex pliers and just use keychain MTs :P

Oh and yeah.. I didn't go for the powerassist because the assisted blades&lock looked too strange to me. I don't carry that stuff in a pouch and I'm pretty sure i'd unlock it by mistake from time to time while searching for stuff in my backpack.. which would probably suck :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:49:59 AM by mulou »

Offline mulou

Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 07:33:15 AM
Received the SOG Powerlock S60.
It's basically what the other posts said, more or less (surprise surprise! haha)

Pliers are excellent (even thus I expected them to be good, I was surprised), cutters actually get damaged quickly (i just cut a tiny copper wire 3 times and theres 3 small dents....). The gear system does really help.
Tools work fine. Even the clumsy scissors.The saw is pretty good also. But access to tools is really bad, that's the real problem - it makes the tools "useless" because it's bad enough that you don't really want to get them out :P

Since I didn't see what I wanted in the various YT sog vids, I made one. No talking, just gear and some close ups. Maybe someone will find it useful.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 10:06:54 PM
Received the SOG Powerlock S60.
It's basically what the other posts said, more or less (surprise surprise! haha)

Pliers are excellent (even thus I expected them to be good, I was surprised), cutters actually get damaged quickly (i just cut a tiny copper wire 3 times and theres 3 small dents....). The gear system does really help.
Tools work fine. Even the clumsy scissors.The saw is pretty good also. But access to tools is really bad, that's the real problem - it makes the tools "useless" because it's bad enough that you don't really want to get them out :P

Since I didn't see what I wanted in the various YT sog vids, I made one. No talking, just gear and some close ups. Maybe someone will find it useful.

That doesn't sound right to me at all.
Is this the new version made by our eastern friends??

I'm pretty certain the SOG of old wouldn't have suffered quite so badly - especially on copper!!
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

Offline mulou

Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 01:22:56 AM
i just got it and it looks pretty new, but meh.. theres no serial number on these is there?

anyhow, hard to picture properly but this might do:

there's actually 4 dents now (im not talking about the rear wire cutter of course)
the copper wire is 0.9mm thick (is pretty thin stuff), obviously, none of my other tools get any dent at all, including my tiny squirt es4 ;-)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 05:01:29 PM
Yeah, there's something wrong there. The SOGs I had would cut 12-gauge (2.05mm) wire without batting an eye. In fact, my Leatherman Squirt will also cut 12-gauge wire pretty effortlessly.

If possible, you should send this in for replacement.

Offline mulou

Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 05:43:18 AM
I think i will. Might even just send it back "period" (its via amazon) and get a powerassist just to see how it is, since I don't like the tools too much anyway.

I also had the opportunity to really use the pliers today, some nut to hold some equipment on my bike fell off.. it always does. So I decided to screw it real tight (and add some locklite). Well where my regular pliers started slipping (and they actually have pretty good grip, but there is no compound leverage), the sog could screw it many more turns. Impressive  :multi:

The sog head did twist a little but it didn't break or get damaged.

I wish the rest of the tool was as awesome  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD