Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are you reading?

enki_ck · 321 · 18203

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: What are you reading?
Reply #120 on: August 22, 2014, 12:55:22 AM
I just got done with a road trip I had to take. I checked out the unabridged 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' (english translation) audio book, my favorite thing to do for long drives.

8/10

Interesting. I felt there was something of a structural flaw having the two main characters separated for the first half of the book. The entire Wanger Family storyline bordered on convoluted, but I followed along. Overall, I thought it was a pretty entertaining book.

I listen to audiobooks while driving, mowing the grass, snow blowing, sometimes at my desk at work, and if I am working in the garage.
I use an android app on my phone as the player that gives me extra features like:

auto pause if the phone rings or makes any noise (GPS, notification, etc)
short pauses, the player backs up 3 seconds,  long pauses it back up further, up to 30 seconds.
I can alter the play speed.  so those slow readers can be speed up with ease, this is really great for me, and I think many of them read too slow.
you can see how long is left in the current chapter or in the whole book.
there are a ton of other great features that I do not use that much, but  Check it out here  I bought the pro version.

since I use my phone, I am always current in my book no matter where I am.
If I can help, let me know 

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #121 on: August 22, 2014, 01:09:49 AM
Just returned from galactic co-ordinate a ZZ9 Pural Z Alpha,in the the firm of Life,The Universe And Everything by the late great Douglas Adams.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline detron

Reply #122 on: August 22, 2014, 01:12:21 AM
Just returned from galactic co-ordinate a ZZ9 Pural Z Alpha,in the the firm of Life,The Universe And Everything by the late great Douglas Adams.

:tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #123 on: August 22, 2014, 01:14:09 AM
He wrote some of the best books.

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #124 on: August 22, 2014, 01:17:18 AM
The older I get,the more I can identify with Arthur Dent!

By the by,if anyone sees a cover for an iPad mini,that says in bright,friendly letters 'Don't Panic'
,grab it for me :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #125 on: August 22, 2014, 01:20:12 AM
Will do!

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #126 on: August 22, 2014, 06:26:51 AM
Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom stories. The movie had issues, but I think I liked that version of Dejah Thoris a little better- she wasn't just decorative fluff that needed saving.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #127 on: August 25, 2014, 11:04:02 AM
Just started reading 'Temeraire' by Naomi Novak - military dragons fighting in the Napoleonic wars  :drool: - Very good so far.....Anyone else read it?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #128 on: August 25, 2014, 03:59:35 PM
Sir Walter Scott's "Rob Roy". Not in english, I'm affraid...

:-[

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #129 on: August 25, 2014, 04:12:07 PM
Just finished "All you need is kill" by Hiroshi Sakurazaka. Not in Japanese though :P

Its the book to the "Edge of Tomorrow" movie. :2tu: for both from me... I both like, the absence of explanation in the movie and the explanation in the book, either way works for me.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline detron

Reply #130 on: August 25, 2014, 04:50:01 PM
Just finished "All you need is kill" by Hiroshi Sakurazaka. Not in Japanese though :P

Its the book to the "Edge of Tomorrow" movie. :2tu: for both from me... I both like, the absence of explanation in the movie and the explanation in the book, either way works for me.

I read that too before the movie had made it to the theater,  I loved it!  (still have not seen the movie yet)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #131 on: August 25, 2014, 05:12:29 PM

I read that too before the movie had made it to the theater,  I loved it!  (still have not seen the movie yet)
I have seen the movie first and I like both.
They did change quite a lot in the movie adaptation, for example the Mimics are quite flashy and look scary. Sometimes, the holywoodization ruins the story, but I think in this case they did a good job. Personally, I feel that a lot of things work better in the movie, others work better in the book.
The most important part of any story with time traveling is to keep the reader/viewer so enthralled that they don't start to analyze, I think both, book and movie, accomplish that.

Think of the movie as a homage to the book rather than a strict visualization and I think you will enjoy it.

us Offline detron

Reply #132 on: August 25, 2014, 05:19:46 PM

I have seen the movie first and I like both.
They did change quite a lot in the movie adaptation, for example the Mimics are quite flashy and look scary. Sometimes, the holywoodization ruins the story, but I think in this case they did a good job. Personally, I feel that a lot of things work better in the movie, others work better in the book.
The most important part of any story with time traveling is to keep the reader/viewer so enthralled that they don't start to analyze, I think both, book and movie, accomplish that.

Think of the movie as a homage to the book rather than a strict visualization and I think you will enjoy it.

thanks!  sounds good

us Offline bdAmmo

• No Life Club
Reply #133 on: September 03, 2014, 01:54:07 PM
Miracles and Massacres by Glenn Beck

us Offline detron

Reply #134 on: September 26, 2014, 01:09:39 AM
I am reading "Doctor Sleep"

when taking a break from that, I am reading MARVEL Omnibus "The Infinity Gauntlet"

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Gauntlet-Omnibus-Marvel-Comics/dp/078515468X

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #135 on: September 26, 2014, 11:31:25 AM
Just rereading all my William Gibson books - Spook Country and Neuromancer, as well as a David Icke book :sa:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #136 on: September 26, 2014, 11:35:28 AM
His Dark Materials Series - Philip Pullman. Now at The Golden Compass/The Northern Lights
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #137 on: September 26, 2014, 11:38:51 AM
His Dark Materials Series - Philip Pullman. Now at The Golden Compass/The Northern Lights

What do you think of them?

They are one of the few books I loved enough to read them for myself after reading them to my daughter. The man is a genius.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #138 on: November 19, 2014, 01:13:49 PM
I'm really enjoying 'And I shall wear Midnight' by Terry Pratchett - His Tiffany Aching series is excellent and I'm enjoying this particular one the most.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #139 on: February 18, 2015, 01:42:06 PM
Just finished the new William Gibson 'The Peripheral' - As usual it will make a lot more sense on second reading, but very enjoyable and interesting all the same.

Also just finished 'Hydrogen Sonata' by Iain M Banks and have started 'Matter' by same and they are both SciFi at its best.

I can't recommend the Culture novels enough. I want to come back as a member of the Culture.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #140 on: February 24, 2015, 03:47:48 PM
Just finished Locked On by Tom Clancy (From the Campus series) and now I am waiting for my bookstore to get me the next 2  :D

Come on, hurry up!

The sad part is, I am catching up with Clancy's books, but there seems to be already one by a co-author.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #141 on: February 24, 2015, 04:51:16 PM
I started Catch-22 by Joseph Heller again the other night.  Such a great if surrealistic book. :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #142 on: August 17, 2015, 03:40:01 AM
Been wanting to read the Jack Reacher series so slowly I've been scoring them at the flea market.  $1 per book with several yet to complete the series so I'll read slow till I get books 3 thru 6. 
IMG_8550.JPG
* IMG_8550.JPG (Filesize: 295.07 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #143 on: August 17, 2015, 08:39:33 AM
Been wanting to read the Jack Reacher series so slowly I've been scoring them at the flea market.  $1 per book with several yet to complete the series so I'll read slow till I get books 3 thru 6.
Love those books...

Also loved the movie although they changed a lot.

us Offline detron

Reply #144 on: August 17, 2015, 02:23:51 PM

PM me your address and I can supply your missing novels.  I have read them all, and it would be a waste for them to just sit here.

us Offline detron

Reply #145 on: August 17, 2015, 02:27:48 PM
Love those books...

correct,  Tom Cruise is NOT 6 foot 5 inches tall   :rofl:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #146 on: August 17, 2015, 02:28:53 PM
I'm re-reading Neil Oliver's History of Anicent Britain

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #147 on: August 17, 2015, 02:46:04 PM
Love those books...

Yes, but not being a human mountain makes it more believable that he could drop off the radar... I always thought that the book version was a bit too much Conan.

Movies and books are very different. A car chase works way better in a movie, while in a book you can involve the reader much more. It's why I think movies that use the book as inspiration rather than a fixed script commonly work better.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #148 on: August 17, 2015, 05:59:51 PM
Love those books...

He's certainly not even close.  I think he did well from what I do know of Reacher characters physical apperance because Tom is a baddass IMO. 

Thanks for the book offer I pm'd you.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #149 on: August 18, 2015, 04:15:33 AM
Just finished "Battle Cry of Freedom", by James McPherson. Won the Pulitzer back in the 1980s; excellent overview of the US Civil War. Get the feeling that Ken Burns used this as an outline for his 'Civil War' tv series; a lot of the same quotes.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%