Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are you reading?

enki_ck · 321 · 18228

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: What are you reading?
Reply #210 on: November 13, 2015, 12:49:05 PM
Started reading Stephen King's - IT.
Always loved the miniseries and loving the book even more.
(Image removed from quote.)

Starring our very own firiki!

Yeah, don't get too excited, magentus; I'm only transient at this job.

This, of course, means that if by some miracle you do manage to escape the inevitable during my service, someone else will come for you...  >:D

:facepalm:
Why all this activity over little old me? I'm sure I don't warrant all this attention.

Top news today, I've managed to demist my Spargel! And I just uncovered a stash of Kommissbrot I never knew I had!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #211 on: November 13, 2015, 01:01:31 PM
Because you seem to be the only one making a fuss about the imminent end of days and, as you probably know, fear triggers aggressiveness in us hounds. Your impressive knowledge of German vocabulary helps, too.

To be honest though, there's another reason as well. You might be the one that will stop eschaton's advent but I'm not going to tell you that, ha ha hahh......

........ :facepalm:

Oh, by the way, how do you know that Kommisbrot you didn't know you had isn't poisoned? ::)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:02:35 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #212 on: November 13, 2015, 02:00:54 PM
Because you seem to be the only one making a fuss about the imminent end of days and, as you probably know, fear triggers aggressiveness in us hounds. Your impressive knowledge of German vocabulary helps, too.

To be honest though, there's another reason as well. You might be the one that will stop eschaton's advent but I'm not going to tell you that, ha ha hahh......

Oh, by the way, how do you know that Kommisbrot you didn't know you had isn't poisoned? ::)
I'm trusting the universe firiki. I've done what I can myself - Refitting the U Boat, Sorting out a Biber in case of Aussteigan, packed my lunch of the aforementioned Kommisbrot - at some point you have to trust in the universe.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on my involvement with the advent of eschaton - I'm mixing myths here but having survived the Gom Jabbar I suspect I may be the Kwisatz Haderach. But then if I had real faith I wouldn't need the U Boat - Bit like the pope in his bullet proof popemobile innit? Who knows?

Not sure whose fear is triggering your aggression - I am chillin' out at the bottom of my undisclosed location with some Kommisbrot mit marmite.  8)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 03:18:31 PM by magentus »

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #213 on: November 13, 2015, 02:02:48 PM
Started reading Stephen King's - IT.
Always loved the miniseries and loving the book even more.

excellent book!  read it a few times
If I can help, let me know 

gr Offline firiki

Reply #214 on: November 13, 2015, 03:30:56 PM

I'm trusting the universe firiki. I've done what I can myself - Refitting the U Boat, Sorting out a Biber in case of Aussteigan, packed my lunch of the aforementioned Kommisbrot - at some point you have to trust in the universe.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on my involvement with the advent of eschaton - I'm mixing myths here but having survived the Gom Jabbar I suspect I may be the Kwisatz Haderach. But then if I had real faith I wouldn't need the U Boat - Bit like the pope in his bullet proof popemobile innit? Who knows?

Not sure whose fear is triggering your aggression - I am chillin' out at the bottom of my undisclosed location with some Kommisbrot mit marmite.  8)

Someone's been reading Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist, I see ::)

I am not familiar with Dune's narration, all I can say is: would you be hiding in a U boat at the bottom of the Indian Ocean (see, I know you tried to deceive me, but that's OK) -eating marmite!- if you weren't afraid of something?...

cat - red eyes.jpg
* cat - red eyes.jpg (Filesize: 158.14 KB)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 03:37:08 PM by firiki »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #215 on: November 13, 2015, 04:00:30 PM

Someone's been reading Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist, I see ::)

I am not familiar with Dune's narration, all I can say is: would you be hiding in a U boat at the bottom of the Indian Ocean (see, I know you tried to deceive me, but that's OK) -eating marmite!- if you weren't afraid of something?...

Don't think I do this because I'm afraid firiki. I like submarines, I like marmite. I also have some great books down here, and a fully kitted out Funkraum. I'm getting Funky in the Funkraum. Bring on the wassenbomben!

Also, who'd thought I could get wifi all the way down here at the bottom of an undisclosed location? It's all good!

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #216 on: November 14, 2015, 06:32:08 AM
To totally change the subject…

Just finished "First Crossing", by Derek Hayes. Its a very interesting biography of Alexander Mackenzie, who explored what is now called the Mackenzie River to the Arctic Ocean, and later crossed the continent to the Pacific a decade before Lewis & Clark. Naturally he doesn't get a lot of mention down here in the US.    :D

« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 06:34:54 AM by ColoSwiss »

no Offline Grathr

Reply #217 on: November 14, 2015, 09:36:42 AM

Just finished "First Crossing", by Derek Hayes. Its a very interesting biography of Alexander Mackenzie, who explored what is now called the Mackenzie River to the Arctic Ocean, and later crossed the continent to the Pacific a decade before Lewis & Clark. Naturally he doesn't get a lot of mention down here in the US.    :D

Very interesting. Ill have to look into that.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #218 on: November 16, 2015, 02:53:15 PM
... and later crossed the continent to the Pacific a decade before Lewis & Clark. ...

I was watching a documentary on those two the other day, sadly only the last 20 minutes. I saw some great scenery though  :tu:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 02:54:26 PM by firiki »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #219 on: November 17, 2015, 12:05:43 AM

I'll need to look that one up.  I've heard of Mackenzie before on a Ray Mears program and I'd like to know more about him.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #220 on: November 17, 2015, 01:03:47 AM
For anyone interested in Lewis & Clark, check out "Undaunted Courage", by Stephen Ambrose. Excellent book.

http://www.amazon.com/Undaunted-Courage-Meriwether-Jefferson-American/dp/0684826976/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1447718472&sr=1-1&keywords=undaunted+courage

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #221 on: November 19, 2015, 10:28:02 PM
Catching up on my classics in preparation for going back to school,

Half way through The Republic at the moment.

us Offline detron

Reply #222 on: November 20, 2015, 08:18:15 PM
For my Cyber-Aces Cohort Program Discussed here, I am reading these right now

I already have this certification, but it will be smart of me to study up so I have a proper foundation for the remaining certification that will come after this.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #223 on: November 20, 2015, 09:59:07 PM
Other than textbooks, I'm reading The Crystal Shard again.  A good friend of mine and I are doing a book club of sorts, as in we are reading the same book and discussing it whenever we see one another.  We are writing a book together and using the discussion as launch pads for brainstorming sessions.  Since I'm back in school the going is slow, but it's still a ton of fun.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #224 on: November 21, 2015, 02:41:26 PM
I've got two in the go at the moment. The first one,

The Strongest Tribe: War, Politics, and the Endgame in Iraq by Bing West

Is as far as I'm concerned the single best account of how the Americans turned themselves around at the tactical level in Iraq (I mean no dis-respect with that comment to any US forces personnel, past or current).
It provides exceptional insight into CQB tactics and how not to implement strategy. It doesn't pull any punches but also gives credit where it is due.

The second is ideal if you want to learn about what we will be facing going forwards

The Accidental Guerrilla: Fighting Small Wars in the Midst of a Big One by David KilCullen
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #225 on: January 18, 2016, 08:44:12 PM
Here's the current ones I hit for 5-10 pages then switch to another....kind of my "EDR" rotation. My interests include history, bushcraft/camping, mythology, art and the origins/fragility of civilization.
Current books.JPG
* Current books.JPG (Filesize: 181.33 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

no Offline Grathr

What are you reading?
Reply #226 on: January 18, 2016, 08:50:30 PM
The icelandic sagas:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #227 on: January 18, 2016, 08:51:58 PM
just started Ray Mears my outdoor life :)
20160118_122222.jpg
* 20160118_122222.jpg (Filesize: 292.03 KB)
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #228 on: January 18, 2016, 09:42:07 PM
Elephants on acid. A book about strange experiments.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #229 on: January 21, 2016, 12:29:57 PM
Elephants on acid. A book about strange experiments.

That's an interesting read. If you enjoy it I would recommend 'Opening Skinner's Box: Greta Psychological Experiments of the Twentieth Century' by Lauren Slater.

Currently I am enjoying '1610: A Sundial in a Grave' by Mary Gentle. Excellent fantasy based on real events, well researched history with a bit of magic bunged in the mix. On the strength of reading the 'Ash' history and this she is one of my favourite writers at the moment.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #230 on: January 22, 2016, 12:46:00 AM
Just started to read " Shackleton " Its a new novel on my hero Ernest Shackleton and the voyage of the Endurance

Offline wsm0807

Reply #231 on: January 22, 2016, 02:05:35 AM
Just started reading Over The Top by Zig Ziglar. Undecided how i feel about yet as i dont usually go for the self help motivational fare. Just trying to motivate myself in a new way.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #232 on: January 22, 2016, 02:14:59 AM
Thunderball,by Ian Fleming. First time I've read it since I was 16 or there abouts
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #233 on: January 22, 2016, 04:02:41 AM
Nothing really heavy --- more of like adolescent book...something you'd read in 3rd/4th grade...

Second picture shows Rey's toolkit as shown in the book...
- bit drivers
- hex drivers
- hydrospanners with extra batteries
- wrenches
- duct tape
- tester
- and some other technology-specific stuff

:multi:
IMG_1827.JPG
* IMG_1827.JPG (Filesize: 192.83 KB)
IMG_1828.JPG
* IMG_1828.JPG (Filesize: 258.96 KB)

us Offline detron

Reply #234 on: January 22, 2016, 04:05:22 AM
CISCO CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide. 
900 pages of networking!  ahhhh      :facepalm:     :rofl:

i LOVE IT, AND HATE IT AT THE SAME TIME

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
What are you reading?
Reply #235 on: January 22, 2016, 06:21:22 AM
CCNA was mandatory for me to pass before I could get my degree :ahhh
It's been a while. I need to renew :ahhh Good luck with the studying!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #236 on: January 22, 2016, 09:22:03 AM
Just started to read " Shackleton " Its a new novel on my hero Ernest Shackleton and the voyage of the Endurance

if you're interested in Shackleton and british polar exploration may I recommend an unsung here ? It's from the perspective of one of the crew who was on 3 of the 4 expeditions - including the Endurance
http://www.micksmith.co.uk/an-unsung-hero.php
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #237 on: January 22, 2016, 02:36:06 PM
OH oh, another subject I can join.. At this moment I'm reading "20,000 leagues under the sea".. Normally I don't have enough time to read cause I'm on here, that and I'm not a big reader, I've only been at that book for over a year and half :whistle: I gave up a little bit ago just because of time, but a few days ago I started back up, I'm only on :think: chapter 8, but of the second half, so I'm getting there! The wife is the big reader, she'll have a book done in like two days! A few years ago I got her one of those Amazon reading things, the one you need a light on, but they had a cover with a little led lamp built in, great for when I want to clonk out. But this Xmas I got her a new one, this time the lamps built into the reader thingy! Guess who got the old one? I got a bunch of other books that I downloaded for free but there's two others I want to get which are, "Nothing lasts forever" and "58 minutes", there the original two books from the "Die Hard" series.. Then of course all the, Bourne series, Indiana jones, and can't forget the James Bond collection..
JR
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 02:38:31 PM by MadPlumbarian »
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline detron

Reply #238 on: January 22, 2016, 02:37:53 PM
CCNA was mandatory for me to pass before I could get my degree :ahhh
It's been a while. I need to renew :ahhh Good luck with the studying!

how long ago did you pass it?  I ask because they have made a lot of changes in the past several years,  things that were in CCNP are now in CCENT   ::)

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #239 on: January 22, 2016, 02:47:34 PM
I've read a several of Dean Koontz's thrillers in the last two or three months, but haven't read anything since the new year. I've had another of his books on my desktop for ages, started it, but haven't been in the mood to finish it :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%