Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are you reading?

enki_ck · 321 · 18200

gb Offline edcmad

Re: What are you reading?
Reply #90 on: May 17, 2014, 11:38:53 AM
Past Mortem by Ben Elton. Great comedy/Crime.    Not usually one for comedy novels but I can't put this one down!

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #91 on: May 18, 2014, 03:55:46 AM
The Graham McNeil ones?

If so there excellent mate :)
Indeed...and so far they are.
Reading James Swallow's books were a chore, drudging along through the pages. Where as reading Graham Mcneill's Ultramarine's is a delight. Started Friday and already about the halfway point of book one in the Omnibus. Can't wait to dive into the other books.

With nearly 20 books (a few of those being omnibuses) I have months worth of reading ahead of me. :D

Won't be surprised if I start speaking a pseudo Latin and chanting words in High Gothic.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #92 on: May 18, 2014, 11:03:18 AM
I read Warhammer pretty much exclusively and I do find myself saying 40k lingo a lot :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: May 19, 2014, 08:38:25 PM
Just finished 'I am Pilgrim'. What an amazing book!!! You have to read that…

ie Offline haulinthedollaghan

• sláinte
Reply #94 on: May 19, 2014, 09:17:18 PM
Lord of the rings .... For the 4th time
An té nach bhfuil láidir, ní foláir dó bheith glic-He who is not strong must be clever.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #95 on: May 27, 2014, 09:01:45 PM

The motherload has arrived. Will be busy for months. Still have another pair of books on the way.
Since I last posted I finished another book, Warriors of Ultramar, and am now jumping between two books.
Let The Galaxy Burn, and Heroes of The Space Marines. Both compilations of short stories. Seeing which authors I favor.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:04:12 PM by Fattsgalore »

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: May 27, 2014, 09:07:37 PM
Just read my 25th book this year. Can keep posting here almost every week!!!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #97 on: May 27, 2014, 10:15:40 PM
Just finished 'the Bridge' Trilogy by William Gibson who is a sublime writer IMO, and 'The Perfect Fool' by Stewart Lee who is a better comedian than writer. I've just started 'Fludd' by Hillary Mantell, who again is sublime.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #98 on: June 04, 2014, 04:21:21 AM
I'm on a Clive cussler binge lately, I've read three in the last six weeks and I am currently about a third of the way thru "the Mayan secrets".  Its not anywhere near as good as anything he and his team of ghostwriters has done before but the characters are familiar at least.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #99 on: June 04, 2014, 12:02:40 PM
Just finished Dennis Wheatley's classic Devil Rides Out. Fantastic!

Just started The Devils Chariots...development of tank warfare in WW1
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #100 on: June 07, 2014, 09:16:55 PM
Does the K-ISOM magazine special "Infantry weapons of the german Bundeswehr" count as a book?  :think:

Well, the topic is not "What books are you reading?"  :D

The most interesting part, imo, is that the Israeli army started out with K98s and the Bundeswehr bought Uzis during their first years.   :o

And the author is letting loose his anger about the politics of gun buying and training at every fitting chapter.  :whistle:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #101 on: June 07, 2014, 09:29:09 PM

The most interesting part, imo, is that the Israeli army started out with K98s and the Bundeswehr bought Uzis during their first years.   :o

Almost as odd as the fact that the IDF's first fighter planes were Avia S199s...Bf109Gs fitted with Junkers Jumos

:whistle:

Ok so I find that interesting :shrug:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #102 on: June 07, 2014, 10:05:26 PM

Almost as odd as the fact that the IDF's first fighter planes were Avia S199s...Bf109Gs fitted with Junkers Jumos

:whistle:

Ok so I find that interesting :shrug:

A lot of pics you see of Haganah and early IDF troops show them armed with Kar.98K and SMLE rifles, while wearing a mix of British and US web gear and helmets. 

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #103 on: June 09, 2014, 10:13:07 AM
Reading Newsweek right now, with breakfast :p

Sent from... Where am I, anyway?

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #104 on: June 10, 2014, 06:50:45 PM
I don't do a lot of recreational reading as I read and write on a daily basis to earn an income, and that pretty much fries my brain.  I like to listen to books on CD in the car, though, and am alternating now between David McCullough's John Adams (for about the 4th time) and The Word of Promise Audio Bible, which is voiced by actors and has music and sound effects.  But I am reading now The Hobbit that I stole from my 13 year old son, as I have already listened to it a couple of times on CD and am watching it at Peter Jackson releases it.  You do get a different flavor from listened rather than reading, but I like to read and do it when I can.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #105 on: June 24, 2014, 06:25:49 AM
I've been reading let me tell you. Since the seventeenth of last month I've read about 9 books.
Ultramarines Omnibus: Nightbringer, Warriors of Ultramar, Black Sky dead sun
Ultramarines: The Killing Ground
DeathWatch: Xenos Hunters
Warrior Brood
Warrior Coven
Heroes of the Space Marines
Salamander

Nightbringer, The Killing Ground, and Salamander were good. Everything else was either mediocre or sub par IMO, but the three mentioned were really good.
So if anyone is interested in some Sci-Fi goodness try the WH40k Ultramarines saga as well as the Salamanders series.

Reply #106 on: June 24, 2014, 09:27:40 AM
Try the Night lord series by Aaron Dembski Bowden there really dark yet funny with it :)

All the Horus Heresy book are amazing too :tu:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #107 on: June 24, 2014, 07:05:24 PM
Last night I started A Night to Remember by Walter Lord.  It's supposedly a true story about some British ocean liner in 1912.  If anyone knows the story, don't tell me how it ends. ;)

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #108 on: June 24, 2014, 07:17:49 PM
Last night I started A Night to Remember by Walter Lord.  It's supposedly a true story about some British ocean liner in 1912.  If anyone knows the story, don't tell me how it ends. ;)

Alright I won't give the game away, to save you from that 'sinking' feeling. D'you see what I did there?

I'm two thirds of the way through the excellent 'Walk in the Woods' by Bill Bryson.

No spoilers please.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #109 on: June 24, 2014, 08:51:28 PM
Try the Night lord series by Aaron Dembski Bowden there really dark yet funny with it :)

All the Horus Heresy book are amazing too :tu:
Aaron Dembski Bowden I hear is good. Normally the three names unanimously spoken of with high praise in the halls of the Black Library are: Dan "The Man" Abnett, Graham Mcneill, and Aaron Demski-Bowden.
I heard at least the first three in the Horus series are absolutely outstanding reads.

Today I've started Sons of Dorn by Chris Roberson, which I heard nothing but bad things about, plus I was apprehensive since I had read one of his short stories which I didn't care for, but so far I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Ripped through the first 25% of the book in a couple of hours. If it continues to interest me I'll be done by tomorrow evening.

Followed by either James Swallow Faith & Fire or finish off the Ultramarines saga...Undecided.
I got Eisenhorn and more then a half dozen others waiting to be opened up so my choices are plentiful.

When I'm all Warhammered out I'll get books from a series called Legends of the Seeker, they made a horrid TV show about it but the books are nothing like the TV show. Read the first and was surprised how much I liked it, not as big of a Fantasy guy as I am a fan of Sci-fi.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #110 on: June 24, 2014, 08:53:22 PM
I'll agree with that - I loved the first three Horus books and I'd read anything to do with Space Marines by McNeill and Abnett - not read anything by Demski-Bowden though.

Reply #111 on: June 24, 2014, 09:23:33 PM
Give him a go, Chris Wraight is a good one to read too :)

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #112 on: June 24, 2014, 09:50:11 PM
Thanks - I'll remember that  :salute:

no Offline Grathr

What are you reading?
Reply #113 on: July 12, 2014, 06:06:28 PM
Im reading "the Martian" by Andy Weir.
Great sci fi book about an Astronaut beeing stranded alone on Mars after an accident  in the not too distant future. Very well written and quite realistic as far as I can tell. Quite funny too.

Quick quote: "yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped. "

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:09:14 PM by Grathr »
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #114 on: July 13, 2014, 02:03:45 PM
All hail the mighty D!  :clap:

I am currently rereading Tom Clancy: Special Forces, a non-fiction book from early 2001. To think how much our perception of the world changed afterwards, but how actual this book is till today. There is even a potential scenario for an Iraqi war in 2005. If I have caught up to this chapter I might write a little comparisson to what I know about OIF.

I really like the non-fiction books of Clancy I have, Submarine, Fighter Wing, Marine, Special Forces. They give you an insight into tactics and motivation most other publications lack.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #115 on: July 17, 2014, 05:28:51 AM
Since I last posted I've finished...
Sons of Dorn; Chris Roberson, first third was good then trailed off into mediocrity.

Faith & Fire; James Swallow, just not a fan of this author. Don't know what it is about his writing. ???

Courage and Honour; Graham Mcneill, ok. His books are generally decent reads. Some are just better then others.

Last Chancers Omnibus; Gav Thorpe. Liked it but not as much as I was hoping. Not the biggest fan of stories in a first person narrative, unless there's great character development. (Great character development is something lacking from majority of the titles in the franchise TBH, the great never ending war makes for some dreary characters that are stoic archetypes straight out of some black and white war movie) Was hoping for more emphasis on an entire team of misfits (A la Dirty Dozen) instead I got a sole character's perspective and thoughts. Left me wanting.

Then I switched between Graham Mcneill's Storm of Iron and the final Ultramarines book; The Chapters Due. Neither grabbed me.
Now reading Emperor's Mercy by Henry Zou which did, but I'm just not ripping through the book like I have with the others. Reading a page or two then putting it down. It's good though just not into reading right now.

I noticed it wasn't either of the other books fault. It's just I've been stuck reading for about a month with no other activity.

I need work! Real bad. Not hurting on money, but ideally sitting by doing nothing is getting to me. Job market over here is balls.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:10:55 AM by Fattsgalore »

Reply #116 on: July 17, 2014, 08:36:42 AM
Been there mate, unemployment really is smurfty awful business! I hope it turns round for you soon mate :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #117 on: July 17, 2014, 09:32:46 AM

Been there mate, unemployment really is smurfty awful business! I hope it turns round for you soon mate :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

+1

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #118 on: August 21, 2014, 11:02:44 PM
I just got done with a road trip I had to take. I checked out the unabridged 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' (english translation) audio book, my favorite thing to do for long drives.

8/10

Interesting. I felt there was something of a structural flaw having the two main characters separated for the first half of the book. The entire Wanger Family storyline bordered on convoluted, but I followed along. Overall, I thought it was a pretty entertaining book.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #119 on: August 22, 2014, 12:40:02 AM

I just got done with a road trip I had to take. I checked out the unabridged 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' (english translation) audio book, my favorite thing to do for long drives.

8/10

Interesting. I felt there was something of a structural flaw having the two main characters separated for the first half of the book. The entire Wanger Family storyline bordered on convoluted, but I followed along. Overall, I thought it was a pretty entertaining book.
are you going to read all three?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD