Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Warranty Service - Two Thumbs Up

Offline Yak-er

Gerber Warranty Service - Two Thumbs Up
on: December 31, 2012, 08:46:18 PM
To start I'll give a little back story. In circa 2000 I purchased a Gerber MP-400 Compact Sport almost immediately I sheared off the small flat driver with a screw that was too tight. I also dinged up the wire cutters to the point the pliers wouldn't open. So I filed them a bit till the pliers would open but it still took two hands. At that point I threw them in my fishing bag and used the regularly to cut mono (with scissors) and dig hooks out.

Last week I dug them out and decided to send them to Gerber for warranty repair. I mentioned the broken driver and the dinged wire cutters. Today I received a brand new MP-400 from Gerber. I never expected them to fix the wire cutters but I felt the driver should have been replaced. So a BIG THUMBS up to Gerber for sending a brand new tool!

Now a minor gripe, whats with the blade in the new MP400? The old one was half serrated (nice round serration) and half straight with a nice point. The new blade shape is funky, serrations are equally weird and a drop point? I also notice the can opener was redesigned and looks less effective than the last one.

Long story short: Gerber impressed me with their service. I am less impressed with the design changes on the MP400.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:10:00 PM by Yak-er »

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: Gerber Warranty Service - Two Thumbs Up
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 10:58:35 AM
I don't have any trouble with the latest can opener unless this is a really new one thats just come out. When opening the can just be conscious not to let the tip wander towards the centre of the can .Once you get the hang of it you shouldn't have any trouble.
   I'm not a massive fan of the new style blade but it does take a sharp edge. Have you noticed the nail nick is on the wrong side of the blade ?   what were they thinking  :facepalm:

Offline Yak-er

Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:57:42 PM
I did notice the nail nick. :D

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 01:26:31 PM
I'd not noticed the difference in can opener either. :think:  I'll need to go look at the ones I have.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 10:49:14 PM
In most cases it's actually cheaper to give you a new tool rather than repair an existing one.  It's nothing for someone to grab a new one off the shelf and send it back and a lot easier than having someone trained to take it apart, replace or refurb anything that has issues, put it all back together and send it out.  I think you'll find most, if not all of the major manufacturers do it this way, although they also do have repair staff on hand in case you want that specific tool back because of sentimental value or other reason.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Yak-er

Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 02:09:59 AM
I am not really complaining about a new tool, I just don't dig the new blade design.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 09:15:47 AM
Can't say I'm a missive fan of the updated MP400 blade either.  Happily it does actually work quite well, it's just that it's pretty ugly to my eye.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%