Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

chinese Gerber.

RDog · 12 · 3507

Offline RDog

chinese Gerber.
on: October 06, 2012, 06:58:23 PM
I have never owned a Gerber MT, but years ago in the Marines they were pretty common and I had handled them if just to compare them to my Leatherman...

Well, the other day I am looking for a new MT, and didn't want to rule out Gerber.  I picked one up on ebay...and just got it this morning.  Problem is I still don't own a Gerber!  Or, Gerber is the maker of the worst MTs period...I'm leaning towards this not being a Gerber.

Worst part is I had a slight bad feeling about it, but still bought it any way!  Not sure what  it was, but something didn't seem right and my dumb ass still clicked "buy it now."

I did contact the seller, and will be contacting Ebay soon if this problem is not fixed.

Here are some pics, but not very good ones...

Notice how "USA" is painted on...that can't be right...Right?

woops, need to resize them...pics to follow.

Offline RDog

Re: chinese Gerber.
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 07:28:37 PM
Well, I don't know whats going on...pics do not want to up load.

First it tells me my photos are too large, so I reduce them 50%...still nothing.

Why different forums have such different problems is beyond me...

I'll keep trying a little longer.
Fake Gerber 1.jpg
* Fake Gerber 1.jpg (Filesize: 201.86 KB)
Fake Gerber 2.jpg
* Fake Gerber 2.jpg (Filesize: 145.11 KB)

Offline RDog

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 07:30:20 PM
now it works!
Fake Gerber 3.jpg
* Fake Gerber 3.jpg (Filesize: 182.73 KB)
Fake Gerber 4.jpg
* Fake Gerber 4.jpg (Filesize: 181.29 KB)
Fake Gerber 5.jpg
* Fake Gerber 5.jpg (Filesize: 172.6 KB)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 07:49:39 PM
Yep thats a fake.  See this thread.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=18527.0

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline RDog

Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 11:41:54 PM
Yup, thats it.  I however am not happy, and don't think its a good copy.  It feels like crap.
My hope is the seller will refund and I'll return it at cost to me, or ebay buyer protection will refund my money, if thats how they work.

Really wish I had seen that info linked above in the first place. 

Thanks for the link.

(Note, mine shipped from Virginia.)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 11:52:05 PM
If the seller wont do a refund, I would raise a paypal dispute, assuming you paid by paypal.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 03:14:21 AM
Yep if it does not have a Remgrit saw + saw bit holder , it is a fake. You are definitely with in your rights to ask for a refund as it is a fake & not made in the USA as it claims to be.
Good luck mate.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 07:17:26 PM
Sorry to hear you got stung mate. :-\ 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 08:52:35 AM
I have one of those too. I got a full refund from the seller after several buyers complained.  I hope you get a full refund too.

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Offline Scott86

Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 08:55:25 PM
I intentionally bought the fake one(from another online store. Only $11) to compare it to my legit 600. Did the same with the knock-off wave (mammut, also $11). It really is amazing how drastically different the quality is.

Though honestly, for $11, the fake gerber isnt too bad. Better than the crappy $20 sheffield i got at walmart. I had to oil the pivots and work it out, but now other than extra ratting of the pliers and the obvious paint texture, its an okay tool that i dont worry about getting damaged or lost.

The mammut on the other hand, is a complete POS. The scissors are great, but everything else is substandard or downright dangerous because of the low quality.

Offline oldmanadrift@gmail.com

• New User
Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 04:45:10 AM
I should have known better on the MP 600 DET too.  I wanted  an one hand tool and planned to use the C4 punch as a marlinspike to deal with splices and knots in small diameter line.  I got sucked in at $35.00 US and thought I was maybe getting some old stock that needed to be moved.  I was not aware that gerbers were faked but now I know better.  If I knew I was buying an $11.00 fake I would be OK with it.  I thought I was getting some special deal, live and learn (again).  :-\

I noticed that the seath was poorly made and the tool was a little less well made than my old Gerbers.  I am glad I found this site, I know what to look for  much better than I use to do. Thanks for all your posts and photos.

All in all it is the best fake I have seen.  If they can be sold for $11.00 then Gerber must be making HUGH profits.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 05:10:55 AM
I should have known better on the MP 600 DET too.  I wanted  an one hand tool and planned to use the C4 punch as a marlinspike to deal with splices and knots in small diameter line.  I got sucked in at $35.00 US and thought I was maybe getting some old stock that needed to be moved.  I was not aware that gerbers were faked but now I know better.  If I knew I was buying an $11.00 fake I would be OK with it.  I thought I was getting some special deal, live and learn (again).  :-\

I noticed that the seath was poorly made and the tool was a little less well made than my old Gerbers.  I am glad I found this site, I know what to look for  much better than I use to do. Thanks for all your posts and photos.

All in all it is the best fake I have seen.  If they can be sold for $11.00 then Gerber must be making HUGH profits.

YEP I HATE those Gerber DET knock offs  >:( >:( >:(, be VERY suspicious of DET's coming out of China/Hong Kong  :think: especially those for under $50  :think: :think:

If you paid with Paypal mate you can put in a claim & you should be able to get a refund as the item is a copy/fake  :think:

I picked up a new genuine Gerber DET for $40(yep that is a awesome price :D) from a sale here on the forum  ;) 8). You can pick up genuine DETs for $40-$60 if you hunt around mate :tu:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69