Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mystery solved!!!

us Offline bren10man

Mystery solved!!!
on: January 01, 2013, 07:16:00 AM
Hello and greetings...I have been absent as the rush to buy firearms and related items have taken a huge hit the past 3 months: election, mentally ill people going nuts and doing unspeakable things, and now calls to ban and gut the 2nd Amendment...these have taken my time.  Gunshows have been CRAZY: some take 2 hours to GET IN, after arriving 1 HOUR PRIOR to opening of show.  UGH!!

Anyways, mystery solved: A few years ago, 2009 to be exact, I got this:

I recently bought some items (firearms related) from a gunsmith who restores Swiss and German firearms here in the U.S.  Some items (like what I purchased) are quite rare.

I inquired, thinking he would know.  Here is his reply:

My swiss friend sends them to me occasionally. They now retail for around $86.oo with the poor exchage rate and cost around $15.oo by swisspost to get to the USA. The swiss refere to it as the shooters knife. For reasons uknown, it does not appear in the Wenger catalog. After 1998, I was told, they included  a tooth pick and tweezers. The tublar tool adjusts elevation on the rear sight, and the large screw driver at the buttend of the knife adjusts for windage. Reference the large windage screw in the lower portion of the photo and the small elevation screw on the left side of the diopter drum in the attached photo. Do you have an issue soldiers knife with the arsenal stamp in your collection?

So, it appears what I call the Wenger STG-90 (as I have seen them enclosed with the contents in the boxes that Swiss SIG 550-1 rifles imported prior to 1989 import rifle ban) is actually called the Wenger Shooter Knife.   I am pretty sure the odd tool and the screwdriver that is actually part of the liner on the end of the knife are actually screwdrivers that are used to adjust rifle sights with.

You can see on the scales the following:
T (Tiefe) = Down; H (Hohe) = Up.  This corresponds with elevation corrections (up or down).
L (Links) = Left; R (Rechts) = Right.  This corresponds with windage corrections (left or right).
You use the tools apparently to adjust rifle or pistol adjustable sights.

I am assuming the long tool with the tube on it is for front sights to zero for elevation.  The rear fixed screwdriver for adjusting rear sights to zero for windage.  At least, that is how it is done on M16/M4 weapons systems when we zero them at the range prior to qualification.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 07:27:54 AM by bren10man »
MOLON LABE!

ca Offline KDX

Re: Mystery solved!!!
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 07:26:17 AM
Very interesting. Thanks for the post.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30