Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ontario Knives' Quality

Biru · 8 · 2095

Offline Biru

Ontario Knives' Quality
on: March 14, 2008, 11:51:34 PM
Aside from the other thread concerning Ontario Knives (the nature of which I have no idea), have any of you experience with the survival knives made by Ontario? I've read mixed reviews of their products and trust you fellows much more than other sites.

Thanks for any info, Bill.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: Ontario Knives' Quality
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:18:53 AM
I have (and USED) an Ontario Spec Plus pilots' survival knife.  It's a solid chunk of steel with a solid handle.  No shine, no bits of style, no BS!  It came with a very nice fitting, well made sheath also.  I can't think of a way I can break the knife, even the tip is heavy duty.  The finish on the grind isn't perfect, but for the price you can't ask for more.

I think I grabbed it on ebay for around $25.

There are a bunch of sizes and designs in the Spec Plus line.
[

us Offline Splat

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 01:07:42 AM
FWIW, the general consensus is that Rat Cutlery's knives are more comfortable in the hand with also a slightly longer handle than OKC's versions. As for blade quality Ontario Knives makes decent blades. The only knife of theirs I've considered was the D2 version of their Rat-7.
Splat

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 01:13:38 AM
I had the TAK D2 and it was made really good, I traded it only because it didn't fit my hand right (I'm picky)
but I thought the QC was great.

I have a 12" machete (with the saw on the spine) and really like it, for heavier limbs it's like budda! I'd recommend Ontario
stuff to anybody, great prices and very good users.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 01:43:16 AM
I have had a few Ontario knives and never had an issue with the quality.  I had a Frontiersman Bowie for some time and it was one of the best large blades I've ever owned.

I'd love to get another one someday but since they started production of the Bagwell Bowies the Frontiersman seems to have been dropped.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Biru

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 12:15:28 AM
As always, I am MUCH obliged for your generous comments. If you fellows like them in general, I'd say they are a safe bet. I was trying to get a Camillus variety, but since they are belly-up, the prices are too high for a knife that might get lost/damaged in the brush.

Thanks again, Bill.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 12:41:53 AM
I've gotten some good deals here Bill; http://tinyurl.com/32af4d
hope it helps bro.

Offline Biru

Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 01:17:06 AM
Thank you much, WD! I'll check them out (they didn't come up when I did a Google of Ontario dealers). I can't tell you how much I appreciate your kindness. I'm trying to figure out whether I'd like the leather or kraton handles better. I've never had a kraton before.

I'm also going to see whether EDC on this site has anything that peaks my interest. I'm hoping to get my Surge from them when I finally commit.

Again, my thanks to all, Bill.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD