Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you mind the weight of a large multitool?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Do you mind the weight of a large multitool?
Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 03:01:33 AM
Maine huh?  It's getting high time we started doing another Maine Meetup.... I think the last one was '08!  It seems like only yesterday....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 03:37:25 AM
Yup, good old downeast Maine :)  So what are these meetups exactly? 
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #32 on: January 01, 2013, 04:29:29 AM
The last (and only one in Maine) one was in Freeport.  You can see all the fun here:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,6802.0.html

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 04:52:54 AM
Thanks for the link.  I'll have to read it soon.  Looks like a fun time from what I saw so far.  You guys like Sam Adams by any chance?   :cheers:
K-Tibbs

Offline hiljentaa

Reply #34 on: January 01, 2013, 06:32:10 AM
I don't have a 'heavy duty multitool'.

I don't mind carrying the weight of a Wave when I know I'm going to be using it, but I'm not sure if I could see myself happily lugging around a Surge...

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #35 on: January 05, 2013, 03:05:12 AM
Large MT's can be very comfortable if they are carried the right way.  When my Surge arrived I tried deep carry while I awaited the arrival of the pocket clip.  The weight didn't bother me too much but the bulge in the bottom of my pocket was uncomfortable.  When I carried it with the pocket clip it was very comfortable.  While on vacation recently I used the belt sheath so I could carry the bit kit.  Surprisingly I noticed the weight on my belt more than I did in my pocket. 

Tick Magnet

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Reply #36 on: January 05, 2013, 04:47:09 AM
I don't want to carry a Surge around all day, but my Charge TTi rides horizontally in my belt at about the 4 o'clock position on my waist, and I can't even feel it most of the time.

Offline alanmoortician

Reply #37 on: January 05, 2013, 08:24:07 PM
Large MT's can be very comfortable if they are carried the right way.  When my Surge arrived I tried deep carry while I awaited the arrival of the pocket clip.  The weight didn't bother me too much but the bulge in the bottom of my pocket was uncomfortable.  When I carried it with the pocket clip it was very comfortable.  While on vacation recently I used the belt sheath so I could carry the bit kit.  Surprisingly I noticed the weight on my belt more than I did in my pocket.

I wear the Surge on the belt sheath, on a second belt that hangs lower (I don't put it through the front loops) and keep the bits in a thin padded pouch in my pocket.

gr Offline Aleister

Reply #38 on: January 05, 2013, 08:56:15 PM
Right now I carry a Charge TTi and a Vic Climber in my pants pockets. Charge is clipped in RF pocket, Climber is hanging high, clipped with a coupler, in LF pocket. Naturally, I would prefer if they weighted nothing, but for the functionality I am getting, I don't really mind the extra weight.

But I haven't tried clipping my Surge... Hmm, be right back!  :D

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #39 on: January 05, 2013, 09:13:20 PM
For much of the day, I honked around a BO Surge in my 5.11 pants.  Just because its fun.  But I was reminded that I just don't want to handle 12 ounces on my belt or in my pocket day after day.  The upside of carrying a heavy MT is that when you downsize to a Rebar, it seems like it weighs nothing.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #40 on: January 05, 2013, 09:44:38 PM
Nothing in my pants today, but I'm still very pleased to see you all ::)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #41 on: January 05, 2013, 09:44:59 PM

::) ::)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #42 on: January 06, 2013, 04:49:22 AM

Nice one  :rofl:
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Gallows

Reply #43 on: January 06, 2013, 05:19:35 AM
I usually have my pockets full of odds & ends so the MUT on my belt really isn't noticeable weight-wise.

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #44 on: January 06, 2013, 06:21:41 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was at Cabelas y'day getting the mrs a fishing license for trout fishing today and in the next couple of weeks. Of course, I went over to the shiny stuffs and checked out what they had there both in the display cabinets and on the shelves. I was greatly surprised when I saw a ST300 in the display!¡! That thing is massive!¡! I have the MUT and that's a large tool as well but I have never touched or even seen a ST300 up close until then. I was greatly impressed by that tool. I didn't get to 'use' it but I could tell that it was well thought out and well made. I did own the original ST but gave it to my son years ago to get him started with a tool to use at work and hunting/ fishing. I even forget what it even looks like :think: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #45 on: January 07, 2013, 05:27:56 AM
When I daily carried a ST300 that darned thing nearly tugged my pants off!  Same thing goes for the Surge.  I had to always be conscious of it, pulling up my pants on one side.  I couldn't go back to that... which is why my current EDC is a SAK.
SAW

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #46 on: January 07, 2013, 07:30:08 AM
Don't you ever need pliers steve?

spam Offline Warfusion

Reply #47 on: January 07, 2013, 07:41:27 AM
I have to disagree I love the weight of the st300 it's not too heavy with a belt on. Thats my main tool at work and doing all the Spiderman type work I need to its an easy carry.

Sent from my Android toothbrush!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #48 on: January 07, 2013, 03:23:58 PM
Don't you ever need pliers steve?

That's the reason I still like to carry a full size multitool on me as you never know when pliers may come in handy.  They've come in handy more than I really ever expected they would, and mostly for just finer tasks that require needlenose gripping, not full-on bolt turning or anything like that.  If it wasn't for that, I would probably be almost content with just carrying SAKs.  I do like knowing I have the multitool though, just in case there's a more serious task to take care of. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #49 on: January 07, 2013, 03:48:36 PM
If I need pliers, I'll take the Swiss Champ  :D
SAW

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #50 on: January 07, 2013, 04:34:23 PM
I don't really notice my Swisstool on my belt.  I did notice my Gerber 800 more though, but I think it was because of the sheath and the extra width of it.

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #51 on: January 07, 2013, 04:41:08 PM
When I daily carried a ST300 that darned thing nearly tugged my pants off!  Same thing goes for the Surge.  I had to always be conscious of it, pulling up my pants on one side.  I couldn't go back to that... which is why my current EDC is a SAK.

I have a fix for that :think: :think: :think:  Put the ST300 in the right pocket and the Rebar in the left pocket :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Then you'd be at least even  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Pulling up both sides at the same time :think: :think: :think:

Surprising that no one has posted this yet :think:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

gr Offline Aleister

Reply #52 on: January 07, 2013, 06:16:43 PM

I have a fix for that :think: :think: :think:  Put the ST300 in the right pocket and the Rebar in the left pocket :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Then you'd be at least even  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Pulling up both sides at the same time :think: :think: :think:

Surprising that no one has posted this yet :think:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
...and clip two helium balloons on your backpockets, that should do!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Reply #53 on: January 08, 2013, 06:09:05 AM
I forget which western it was in which Jason Robards said, "How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?"  Actually, that's the secret to carrying a heavy multitool on your belt all day.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%