Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Waterproof?

meanx · 21 · 3769

za Offline meanx

Waterproof?
on: April 07, 2010, 10:00:00 PM
Don't know if this has been discussed or not,(can't find anything with a quick search) but are knives like the Traveller, Voyager,and all the other lite versions waterproof? I am

thinking of getting a Spartan Lite but I do a lot of fishing and time and again walk waste high in the water,lost a couple of Cellphones this way already,

will it still work after being submerged? 
Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Waterproof?
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:09:49 PM
Ooooo interesting question.  I'm guessing no, but then what about cleaning?

I'm curious to see what those in the know have to say.  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 10:22:22 PM
I have never dunked or sprayed my Spartan Lite model but I would definitely say it is NOT waterproof since the battery compartment just pops off very easily by your thumbnails. No seal of any kind for it.

Have heard similar things about the electronic models as well.

za Offline meanx

Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 10:43:03 PM
I have never dunked or sprayed my Spartan Lite model but I would definitely say it is NOT waterproof since the battery compartment just pops off very easily by your thumbnails. No seal of any kind for it.

Have heard similar things about the electronic models as well.

Thanks,does it say anything about water on the leaflet you get with?
Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 10:58:04 PM
the linner next to the scale with the electronics has a couple of holes to make space for the electonic components and the battery, soo its absolutly not waterproof...  about the led module, its very easy to open and has no seal to be considered waterproof, the users manual of my voyaguer lite doesnt say anything about it...  :P
custom swiss army knives

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 11:00:35 PM
The LED models can all be cleaned in soap/water - just pop the batteries out first, clean, rinse well (preferably in distilled water) and let them dry thoroughly afterward. I've done this many, many times. They are just a switch, an LED and a resistor. None of these things will be damaged by cleaning in water with the batteries removed.

The electronic models.... well, that's a little different. The scales are NOT waterproof, so if you submerge them, the circuitry inside will get wet. Now, will this be a bad thing? That depends. There is a circuit board inside, and depending on the type the board itself can be damaged by water. Most electrical components themselves are sealed, so water won't affect them or their solder connections. If the circuit is energized when it's submerged, damage can occur if the water becomes a conductor and various parts short circuit. This is more of a danger with devices that have higher output batteries (like cell phones) as opposed to something running off a 1.5V watch battery, but it can happen.

I personally wouldn't submerge for cleaning an electronic scale model. If I did have one and it got dropped into some water, I'd immediately pull the battery and give it a couple days to dry out complete. Most of the time it'll be fine after that. If I did need to clean one with a liquid, I'd use something like Chemtronics Electro-Wash PX - a PCB-friendly spray solvent that will degrease, is volatile (evaporates quickly) and doesn't dissolve plastic.

us Offline bren10man

Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 10:05:26 PM
Now, after hearing the above, I am GLAD I am NOT taking my brand new Traveler Lite SAK out to the field the next two weeks (yep, I may not be around for a stretch).  Forecast calls for rain.   I thought about it but, nah......it was WAY too expensive to get it screwed.

Just think: the thought of the scales not waterproof on the electronic scale makes the Expedition and the SwissChamp XAVT (the BIG one) worthless in a survival situation.  Snow is water when melted...no good for mountain use.  How about scaling fish?  Nope, definately water there, let alone salt water that will ruin electronics if dunked or whatever.   Someone was not thinking when they designed the scales then.

I will have my old reliable Champion, 2008 Soldier, and SOG PowerPlier handy with me on my LAST field exercise in Korea,  :tu:......
MOLON LABE!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 10:13:46 PM
On the older analog Timekeeper and Supertimer, the battery cover has a small Oring in it, so perhaps fairly water resistant.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:04:03 PM
The LED models can all be cleaned in soap/water - just pop the batteries out first, clean, rinse well (preferably in distilled water) and let them dry thoroughly afterward. I've done this many, many times. They are just a switch, an LED and a resistor. None of these things will be damaged by cleaning in water with the batteries removed.

The electronic models.... well, that's a little different. The scales are NOT waterproof, so if you submerge them, the circuitry inside will get wet. Now, will this be a bad thing? That depends. There is a circuit board inside, and depending on the type the board itself can be damaged by water. Most electrical components themselves are sealed, so water won't affect them or their solder connections. If the circuit is energized when it's submerged, damage can occur if the water becomes a conductor and various parts short circuit. This is more of a danger with devices that have higher output batteries (like cell phones) as opposed to something running off a 1.5V watch battery, but it can happen.

I personally wouldn't submerge for cleaning an electronic scale model. If I did have one and it got dropped into some water, I'd immediately pull the battery and give it a couple days to dry out complete. Most of the time it'll be fine after that. If I did need to clean one with a liquid, I'd use something like Chemtronics Electro-Wash PX - a PCB-friendly spray solvent that will degrease, is volatile (evaporates quickly) and doesn't dissolve plastic.

Just thought I'd update this. I recently received a Traveller knife from eBay. It was in great shape, but crusty from typical pocket carry. I cleaned it up pretty good and all is in working order. Here's what I did:

- Remove the battery, let sit overnight for all components inside to discharge. These knives have a capacitor inside that can keep the knife running while the battery is out to allow you to change the battery without having to reset everything. Waiting overnight was probably overkill, but better safe than sorry.

- Using an old toothbrush and some dish soap, I scrubbed the knife to remove the gunk. The knife got wet, even inside the scales, but I avoided submerging it.

- Rinse the knife off using running water, again not submerging. However, water DID get into the scales.

- Shake to remove as much soapy water as possible.

- Submerge in a container of distilled water for 10-20 sec to get rid of all soap residue from the cleaning. Shake the water out of the scales, repeat 2 more times.

- Shake all of the water out, and then blow the water out of the scales with compressed air (I use one of those cans of compressed gas for blowing dust out of electronics).

- Let dry for a day

- Replace battery

Worked great. The electronics work fine, and the knife is clean.

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 09:21:55 PM
Don't know if this has been discussed or not,(can't find anything with a quick search) but are knives like the Traveller, Voyager,and all the other lite versions waterproof? I am

thinking of getting a Spartan Lite but I do a lot of fishing and time and again walk waste high in the water,lost a couple of Cellphones this way already,

will it still work after being submerged?
Anything electronic of mine that I had washed accidentally, only worked once afterwards. I turned it on, seems to work, then off for the last time, ever.

Strange phenomenon.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 09:22:55 PM
I think that a regular SAK with no electronics and separate  multisensor watch (I have the Casio Protrek, Suuntos and Tissot T-Touch are more fancy) is a better choice for the field. All these watches are waterproof, I dive with mine and wear it in the shower.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 09:25:34 PM
Anything electronic of mine that I had washed accidentally, only worked once afterwards. I turned it on, seems to work, then off for the last time, ever.

Strange phenomenon.

That happend to me once. My explanation is that, after the water is expelled and evaporated, it leaves shalts behind. Salts conduct electricity, so they short- circuit. Just a thought, I'm not sure about it.

ca Offline Landrew

Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 09:27:27 PM

Strange phenomenon.

That happend to me once. My explanation is that, after the water is expelled and evaporated, it leaves shalts behind. Salts conduct electricity, so they short- circuit. Just a thought, I'm not sure about it.

I actually thought of that once, and submerged the device in pure solvent. No help whatsoever.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 09:30:19 PM
Short circuit might "burn" the "motherboard"?  :think:

Offline ilader

• New User
Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 10:04:59 PM
I have used Swiss Army Midnite Minichamp II extensively in salt water, sand, and orange juice environments. The switch does not seem affected by contaminants, but the battery contacts corrode. I have been able to revive them by scraping and polishing. I have also ruined the contacts by waiting too long (years) to clean them.

ca Offline Landrew

Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 10:16:46 PM
Orange juice environments are the worst.  :-\

I prefer grapefruit.  :)

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 11:42:48 PM
Short circuit might "burn" the "motherboard"?  :think:
It all depends on what type of liquid was on a electronic component.
Sea water is the worst. It corrodes (because of the salts) the metal components of a electronic cirquit and if the cirquit has live components (batteries,capacitors etc), creates short circuits.
Short circuits may burn some areas of the electronic board.
One good way to clean a electronic board from water is to rince it with isopropyl alcohol, or better a ultrasonic bath in isopropyl alcohol.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 02:38:52 AM
@ilader

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 07:20:35 AM

You beat me to it. While the phrase 'orange juice environments' is not one you expect to hear, and sounds hilarious, orange juice really is horrible. High acid and sugars which turn into a sticky mess. I worked in the computer field for 10 years, and had the joy of getting to clean several keyboards that folks decided to bathe in soda.

I don't think I'd want to get anything more complex than an LED light wet.

Interesting thread, and I appreciate the info, as a Midnite Manager might be in my future.

ca Offline Landrew

Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 03:17:53 PM

You beat me to it. While the phrase 'orange juice environments' is not one you expect to hear, and sounds hilarious, orange juice really is horrible. High acid and sugars which turn into a sticky mess. I worked in the computer field for 10 years, and had the joy of getting to clean several keyboards that folks decided to bathe in soda.

I don't think I'd want to get anything more complex than an LED light wet.

Interesting thread, and I appreciate the info, as a Midnite Manager might be in my future.
I didn't like using sarcasm on the new guy, but i couldn't resist that one. :)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 11:07:59 PM
In general, electronics with no current handles pure water just fine. Now, for SAKs specifically, Vic says all circuitry is sealed with lacquer or something, so they are supposed to handle submersion, just pop out the battery/-ies first.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%