Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cattleman/Sheffield/SpyderGuppie

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
on: January 15, 2013, 09:46:01 PM
Here's some photos of the Sheffield incarnation of the Cattleman Cutlery tool that Bob called the SpyderGuppie on account of it's similarity to the SpydeRench and the Guppie.  This is one of those generic company tools that are purchased by the truckload and marketed by any company that will take them.  I've seen identical tools with a number of different brands on them, right up to ones with a Jeep brand.

I still haven't gotten around to getting one of these for myself, but I did play with one at SHOT a couple of years ago.

It seemed like a neat toy, and I keep meaning to buy one, but I often forget.  Even though I doubt very much it's an officially licensed product, I think I may try to find a Jeep one since, you know, I'm apparently a Jeep guy.   ::)

All in all it seems like a decent little tool, although I'd hate to count on it when I'm broken down at the side of a trail.  It seems to have pretty limited functionality with just pliers, adjustable wrench, screwdrivers and a blade, but I've seen much more limited tools go for more money.  With not a lot of features, there's less to be poorly made or go wrong with it. 

Hopefully....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Cattleman/Sheffield/SpyderGuppie
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 09:49:17 PM
This is one tool I always liked the look of; it's original, it appears well enough made and it's still pretty cheap. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline nelson

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 09:54:01 PM
I've never seen one of these for sale anywhere, I'm wrecking my brains trying to think where I would ever use it, but its certainly me of the more interesting tools
Wake up in the morning and piss excellence  :)           (Talladega Nights)

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:10:26 PM
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

gb Offline nelson

Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:18:16 PM
I quite like the look of the one Lister. Bookmarked it and hope they get some more in stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 10:23:41 PM
Screw it... I just grabbed one on eBay...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline nelson

Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:25:59 PM
LOL, how much?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 10:28:37 PM
I'm scared to look at the link above and see how cheap I could have gotten it, but I just paid $16 with free shipping from Hong Kong, so I don't feel I did too bad.

Def

gb Offline nelson

Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 10:31:36 PM
Have you got a link to see if they have any more?

I can't buy multitools on UK EBay, which is absurd when I've had one on my hip for 20 years and never killed anyone!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 10:35:25 PM

Def

Good man  :D It's one I've hovered over a few times too, particularly having a OHO non-locking blade  ;) I know the adjustable spanner will be a bit slack jawed, and I know it's going to ride a little high in the pocket, and I know the jaws will creep open by putting my hand in my pocket to fish other stuff out - I know this because it's like my Li'l Guppie  :D - but there is something very endearing looking about this tool.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 10:37:57 PM
You overpaid :ahhh by $1,90. :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 10:45:42 PM
Have you got a link to see if they have any more?

I can't buy multitools on UK EBay, which is absurd when I've had one on my hip for 20 years and never killed anyone!

More than 10 available:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Survival-Pocket-Cutlery-Multi-Tool-Pliers-Adjustable-Wrench-Knife-screwdriver?item=230825424862&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4900659048806722739

I don't know this seller, so if you are concerned about dealing with an unknown party feel free to wait until I get mine and report back.  Of course, in 4 days the price goes up to $33, and there's no way it's worth that much.   :ahhh

If it helps I just did a search for "multitool adjustable" and several sellers came up, all of them under $20 even factoring in shipping, at least to Canada.

Def

gb Offline nelson

Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 11:01:13 PM
I've got a few notes in my Paypal account so I'll take the plunge

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 11:02:32 PM
Guess what I just did... :facepalm:

gb Offline nelson

Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 11:07:44 PM
Does not ship to UK or Ireland :(
I'll have a look at the other sellers in a mo

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 11:16:58 PM
It looks like the b@stard love child of a night to forget involving a SOG Toolclip, a Spyderench and as you say a CRKT Guppie.

I quite like it actually!
I used to come here a lot.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 11:22:47 PM
Yes, definitely a mongrel! For the price I'm thinking it's worth having it in the car as an extra tool.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 11:30:02 PM
It looks like the b@stard love child of a night to forget involving a SOG Toolclip, a Spyderench and as you say a CRKT Guppie.

I quite like it actually!

I think the ToolClip was just watching and holding the camera....  :facepalm:

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 07:45:06 AM
Anything with cheap adjustable wrenches/spanners will probably be problematic.

I do buy such cheap adjustable tools, provided I can see them myself and choose the best one. Usually there is a huge difference in performance between the same models.

Last time I got an adjustable wrench I looked through about 20 of them to find one that was decent. Still works fine.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 08:03:22 AM
Last time I got an adjustable wrench I looked through about 20 of them to find one that was decent. Still works fine. 

:tu:

I'm always doing that.  If there are several of the item I'm looking at I have go through them all to find the one that seems to have been assembled/finished to the best standard and/or has the best action.  I'm often surprised at the big difference between the "best" and "worst" examples of the same product, and not just on the cheap stuff, either.

I also do it when buying fruit, meat etc.

I figure if you can buy better for the same price then why not ?  I've even gotten my missus into it as well  :D
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 12:21:59 PM
You should see the dirty looks I get at Home Depot for checking the levels on the floor before buying one, or opening the fire extinguishers to check the gauges.   ::)

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 11:11:17 PM
My SpyderGuppie arrived safe and sound today!

It's actually not a bad little tool- in fact, I'd say that (initially at least) it appears to be more or less on par with the fit & finish as the SpydeRench or the Guppie.

The hex slot isn't 1/4" which is limiting in my mind- 1/4" bits are by far the most common and I don't understand why anyone even bothers with anything else.  I like this tool, and I think if one of the big names were to have come out with something like this I'd be really quite pleased- at least moreso than I am with some of the "big" current releases.   ::)

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 02:27:10 PM
I've been carrying and using this one lately, and you know what?  It isn't bad.

There are a few niggling problems with it, but then if I didn't complain about a tool then you'd all think I was snatched up by aliens or something, so here goes... :D

The pliers are a bit stubby, which I suppose is more my issue than the tool's since I'm more used to the half assed needlenose pliers on most multis.  I was trying to pull packing staples out of a cardboard box with it, and they took a considerable amount more energy to get at because of this.  Not a deal breaker as there are times when stubby pliers are preferable to needlenose, like the time I tried tightening my starter bolts in the Jeep with a Leatherman and the pliers were long enough to connect both terminals and I got a jolt.

The other issue is the small lever on the side to release the pliers from the locked/closed position seems to be a bit too exposed and several times when trying to pull out the afore mentioned staples the pliers locked shut on me.  Again, not a big deal as a quick swipe with my thumb released them.

The screwdriver issue also bugs me- I'd much rather see an actual 1/4" slot on it, even if it's just added to the current design and didn't include any bits.

Oh yeah, and it doesn't have the most important tool that every other tool has... a bottle opener.

Otherwise it's shaping up to be a pretty decent little doodad.  :D

Def

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 05:41:17 PM

Def

Good man  :D It's one I've hovered over a few times too, particularly having a OHO non-locking blade  ;) I know the adjustable spanner will be a bit slack jawed, and I know it's going to ride a little high in the pocket, and I know the jaws will creep open by putting my hand in my pocket to fish other stuff out - I know this because it's like my Li'l Guppie  :D - but there is something very endearing looking about this tool.

... and a couple of days after posting this, one turned up in the post I'd ordered weeks before and forgotten about  :D :D

My thoughts so far (quite simliar to Grant's) ...

OHO blade - it's a slippy which is great for the UK guys, but it's not the easiest OHO
Wrench - limited in size but mine isn't overly sloppy so works OK
Pliers - I'd say they're good enough, but I've not used them hard (I've not had probs with the locking lever yet)
Drivers - Again they're OK, but yes - 1/4" would have been better

I think it's a good value reasonably made complimentary tool (for let's say a Compact or Climber), but not a single tool solution

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 07:49:08 PM
I'd agree there as well- it is a bit limited as a standalone tool, but as part of a balanced breakfast including milk and juice... uh, wait, sorry, got derailed there...

Put it with a good SAK like a Climber or Huntsman and you'd really be onto something here.

Def

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 07:58:03 PM
I'd agree there as well- it is a bit limited as a standalone tool, but as part of a balanced breakfast including milk and juice... uh, wait, sorry, got derailed there...

Put it with a good SAK like a Climber or Huntsman and you'd really be onto something here.

Def

:rofl:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 02:06:09 AM
Since I had the camera gear out I snapped a few shots of this one.

As you can see, I ended up getting a Jeep branded one.  I thought I had gotten a no name version, but I got a special one!  :D

You can see they even went to the effort/expense of putting the Jeep logo on the blade, which is more effort than these cheapo tools usually go to.  I doubt very much that this is an officially licensed tool, so you really have to admire the dedication!

I also put it next to the Lil Guppie so you could see that there is definitely some similarity between the two, hence our unofficial name for it.  As you see in the photo above though, the pliers open a decent amount and are sprung, which is a pain in the man parts (literally) as the lever doesn't do the greatest job of securing it, and the powerful spring can make you have a few very unpleasant moments if carried in your front pocket.   :ahhh

Closed up it actually makes a nice carry-able, compact tool, and the pocket clip protrudes enough to easily clip it on to something, but not enough so that it's awkward or in the way.

Despite being somewhat larger than the Lil Guppie, the jaws don't open any wider, which is a bit of a disappointment.  Still, anythign much larger than this and you are probably going to want a heavier duty tool.  Even so, the SpydeRench opens further than the SpyderGuppie, and would open even further yet if I removed the file.

Another interesting point is that you can actually see through this one- the bit holder goes completely through the thin part of the plier head but not the thick part.

This one is reasonably well equipped with two flatheads and a small Phillips head bit.  There is no retention mechanism to keep them in there though, which is another bit of a drawback.  I'd like to see a ball detent or a magnet or something to keep them falling out.

Def

Offline Royalfizbin

Reply #27 on: December 21, 2013, 08:56:00 AM
Hey does anybody here have a measurement for how wide the wrench opens?  I've been looking over ebay listings and nobody has this information listed.   Also, what advantage does having teeth in the wrench jaws have?  I have lots of wrenches and all of them are smooth jawed except for my pipe wrenches.  I think the teeth would just slow you down when you need to slip the wrench on and off of a nut or bolt.

00 Offline freginold

Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 08:09:33 PM
I just saw this post looking through the various topics.  I bought one of these tools on eBay a few weeks ago for about $15 or so, and I'm pretty pleased with it.  It is a little limited in the amount of tools, but I like the way they worked in the tools it does have so that they don't interfere with each other.  I haven't had any problems with the bits falling out of their slots, and it's nice to have two slots to be used as a straight driver or offset driver.

Royalfizbin, the wrench opens up to half an inch.  It is a little weird having teeth in the wrench jaws, especially since you have pliers with teeth right on the other side.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:27:14 PM by freginold »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 11:31:52 AM
I got one of these a little while ago and have to agree with the general sentiment here; it's really not a bad little tool. :tu:

One thing I'll note, that doesn't seem to be the case for everyone, is that mine has a magnet to retain the screwdriver bits in the 'in-line' holder, though it doesn't do anything for the 90deg slot.  If that is some kind of update, then it's a good one. :)  Though as i got this second hand, there is every chance the previous owner simply fitted a tiny magnet in the bottom of the holder.  If that's the case it seems a very simply and practical mod. :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 11:33:38 AM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%