Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Drunk driver hit me

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Re: Drunk driver hit me
Reply #30 on: January 19, 2013, 06:34:38 PM
For sure.  I do get a new brush guard though, and that's nice.  It looks like they only need to paint the fender and blend the hood, so it's not even that much bodywork.  Most of the price is in replacing parts like the bumper, brushguard, tire, etc.

Sure glad I have insurance. 

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #31 on: January 19, 2013, 06:41:04 PM
That's nearly as expensive as my old RC car hobby  :rofl:
SAW

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #32 on: January 19, 2013, 06:42:59 PM
That's nearly as expensive as my old RC car hobby  :rofl:

I've had a few of those, a day out running them almost always ended in the need for yet another trip to the hobby shop or tower hobbies, and spending $50(or more).

Now my Dad wants me to get into RC Airplanes.  He has like 20 of them and much more money than I do. 

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 09:45:21 PM
Just got the estimate on my truck, it was $2600, and will probably be more once they take everything off and really see what's broken. 

Just about what my accident cost to repair afaik :think: Very thankful for insurance :tu:

I've had a few of those, a day out running them almost always ended in the need for yet another trip to the hobby shop or tower hobbies, and spending $50(or more).

Now my Dad wants me to get into RC Airplanes.  He has like 20 of them and much more money than I do. 

A very pricey hobby :think:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline sawman

Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 09:50:12 PM
A few years ago, my parents got me an RC plane for Christmas.  As I didn't have the real estate to fly it safetly, I returned it and got a helicopter.  The chopper was nice but I tended to wreck it on landing and could not afford all the replacement parts, so I retired it. 

I still like the idea of RC racing, but if I ever get back into it, it will be a land vehicle (those are the most fun and safe IMO).
SAW

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: Re: Drunk driver hit me
Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013, 11:16:19 PM
A few years ago, my parents got me an RC plane for Christmas.  As I didn't have the real estate to fly it safetly, I returned it and got a helicopter.  The chopper was nice but I tended to wreck it on landing and could not afford all the replacement parts, so I retired it. 

I still like the idea of RC racing, but if I ever get back into it, it will be a land vehicle (those are the most fun and safe IMO).

I have a plane that I'm building. I've never flown one before, so it will be interesting to say the least. I tried flying a helicopter, and it always turned out really bad!

I have an HPI Savage XL, and that thing is a blast! Being able to do 30ft plus jumps definitely brings a smile to my face :D Just make sure you don't get in the way of a 15lb truck that can do 45mph! :o

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 02:59:15 AM
Glad you weren't hurt . Bummer about the deductable .

Chris

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 06:42:29 AM
Glad you weren't hurt . Bummer about the deductable .

Chris

Thanks Chris. 

Got a call today saying my particular tire has been discontinued so I guess I get a cheaper one, now not only will I have mismatching tires but one will be el cheapo. 

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 12:27:23 PM
Another reason to have a full sized spare- then you could put that on and have the El Cheapo held in reserve.

It's sad that actually getting in an accident is no where near as painful as the bullsmurf you have to put up with afterwards isn't it?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 03:40:01 PM
are you allowed to mix tires? Here you need to have the same tires on one axle, and even worse, when one is already worn beyond a certain point, you´ll need to change it, too even when the tire is still available new.

You can only have different tires on teh different axles.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #40 on: January 22, 2013, 04:12:11 PM
Hate to post late into this but:

If she's a "girl" (ie under 21), get a personal injury attorney and go after her and her parents.  THe attorney will get their cut, you will hopefully recover all out of pocket costs.

This sort of thing makes me crazy and I would make her (and her family) pay for her actions.  It's the best form of education.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #41 on: January 22, 2013, 05:00:15 PM
Absolutely. Getting no sense of responsibility for her actions isn't going to make a decent human being >:(
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #42 on: January 22, 2013, 05:21:24 PM
Unfortunately she's 26.  My insurance company is going to go after her, but even me suing her wouldn't work, she's broke.  It wasn't her car and her license is suspended, and I'm certain I saw a foodstamp card in her wallet when the Trooper showed me her ID. 

As much as I'd like to ensure I get my deductible back, these things happen and it sucks but I have to deal with it.  My $500 is the last of her worries at this point; she fled the scene of an accident and had no insurance.  None of that ends well.  I think I counted at least 4 citations that were definite, and that's not including being under the influence if she was indeed drunk.  She will definitely learn from it all.  She'd have to be a complete neanderthal to walk away without learning something.

Another reason to have a full sized spare- then you could put that on and have the El Cheapo held in reserve.

It's sad that actually getting in an accident is no where near as painful as the bullsmurf you have to put up with afterwards isn't it?

Def

Ya know I do actually have a full size spare, it's on right now.  I might see if they can do that swap.

Totally true about the bullsmurf.  Would have been worse if I'd gotten injured.  Then I'd have medical deductibles too and time off work and all that. 

It's like I told my wife, it is what it is.  Me getting mad won't do any good and there really isn't any way to get a penny from this.  This chick is obviously irresponsible and I just happened to be coming the other way when it came to a head.  I just count my blessings that no one ended up on a gurney or a bodybag. 

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #43 on: January 22, 2013, 07:25:11 PM
Totally true about the bullsmurf.  Would have been worse if I'd gotten injured.  Then I'd have medical deductibles too and time off work and all that. 

... I just count my blessings that no one ended up on a gurney or a bodybag.

Yeah, dealing with all the legal stuff and paperwork, claims forms is all very unpleasant. But you didn't wreck a vertebra, or sever a nerve, or some life altering injury. No one got a dirt-nap out of it. She's an idiot, but she survived to (hopefully) learn from it. and you survived uninjured. Bank accounts can recover.

Glad you're okay.  :tu:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #44 on: January 22, 2013, 08:04:52 PM
Glad you are OK Sean, but I have to say I doubt she'll learn from this. Hopefully she will, but if she had any brains, I don't think she would have been possibly driving someone else's car drunk with no insurance or license.

I remember quite a few years ago, myself and a couple of buddies were on the way home from golfing and came across a car in the ditch on its side. We were the first ones there, so we hopped out to see if anyone was hurt, and the stereo in the car was so loud that it hurt our ears from over 20ft away. To make a long story short, she had a broken leg, and we later found out that this wasn't the first time she'd done this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: January 22, 2013, 08:29:43 PM
And that boys and girls is what we call "Natural Selection."  All the airbags, crumple zones and water wings in the world won't stop the truly dedicated stupid.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #46 on: January 22, 2013, 08:33:09 PM
And that boys and girls is what we call "Natural Selection."  All the airbags, crumple zones and water wings in the world won't stop the truly dedicated stupid.

Def

:rofl:

So true its actually sad. 

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using crapatalk two point oh.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: January 22, 2013, 08:36:57 PM
My entire day job revolves around the stupidity of others.  In the old days they had to be drunk at work to have enough accidents to keep us going, but these days the natural stupidity makes up for the fact that few of the drinkers are still around... :P

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: January 22, 2013, 08:56:48 PM
Very very glad to hear your OK Sean. :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #49 on: January 23, 2013, 05:29:53 AM
Very very glad to hear your OK Sean. :salute:

Thanks Gareth.  I've been replaying it in my head and seeing it again and again after the adrenaline is gone has given me a lot to be thankful for.  We were going 55mph(me) and 65ish(her).   If I hadn't reacted as fast as I did, I would have hit her square in the driver door; she was perpendicular to me in my lane.  My airbag would have deployed and after seeing vids of that it's something I want no part of.  The scary part is my grille guard is about as high as the belt line of her little ford compact, meaning it would have had little resistance other than the B pillar, and would have caved in the driver side of the car. 

No matter whose fault it would have been, I would have struggled with that near certain outcome for the rest of my life. 

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #50 on: February 04, 2013, 09:25:08 PM
Update.

Spoke with the State Trooper who responded to the accident.  He told me that the owner is claiming that neither he nor the girl were driving the car and that it was stolen.  Nevermind the smurfing fact that she left her smurfing ID in the car and I identified her to the Cops, nevermind that, no she claims she wasn't in the car so she gets away with it.  smurfing system, it's so flawed.  Now I can't even get my money back through insurance. 

us Offline sawman

Reply #51 on: February 04, 2013, 09:40:00 PM
Get a rope...  :rant:
SAW

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #52 on: February 04, 2013, 10:06:16 PM
That is not cool at all.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: February 04, 2013, 10:20:45 PM
If someone borrowed my car and got in an accident I'd be sure to say it was stolen too.

If they admitted to allowing her to drive the car the insurance wouldn't cover it and they'd be on the hook to pay for all the damage.  From their perspective its really the only choice they could make.  As for the girl getting off, try talking to the officer about pressing charges against her. If she is convicted then you can sue her for your out of pocket expenses.  As it is, you can try and sue the car owners.  You probably wouldn't get far legally, but a little squeeze on them may get them to give up the friend.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #54 on: February 04, 2013, 11:00:06 PM
Not good Sean.
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #55 on: February 05, 2013, 12:27:27 AM
That sucks. :(

Ash's mobile on the move.

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #56 on: February 05, 2013, 01:06:52 AM
Sorry to post so late, but just now i saw this.
I am glad to hear that you are ok Sean, health is the most important thing.
As for the damages and the repairs, is something that you will not avoid.
Shame for the girl and the owner.
I know it's awful, i was in your place a year ago, not with a girl but with a dog!
An idiot had left loose a big German Shepherd, and he ran across the main road to chase a cat. :facepalm:
The dog was ok after the hit, but the bumper of my car was broken in two !
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:09:51 AM by MARIOS7319 »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #57 on: February 05, 2013, 01:22:54 AM
That's a real bummer Sean! I hope you find a way to nail the slimy little smurf and get your insurance back on your side or get her to fund repairs directly. I'm still glad we're griping about a metal box on wheels being damaged rather than you though mate :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #58 on: February 05, 2013, 01:29:57 AM
and the fact you ID'ed her as being at the scene doesn't count for anything? ??? 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #59 on: February 05, 2013, 03:43:58 AM
Welcome aboard the political smurf, government, and law bending lawmakers. You are now in the United States. :woohoo: Aren't you proud?

Ash's mobile on the move.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD