Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Genus

J-sews · 19 · 6614

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Leatherman Genus
on: March 23, 2008, 02:10:15 AM
All I can say is, “Wow!”
From the moment I opened the box it was clear that this was no ordinary multitool. On the contrary, it may well be the most industrial-strength multitool ever produced. No thin, flimsy sheet metal construction is to be found on it anywhere. The handles are all solid cast aluminum, just like a big Rigid brand pipe wrench. The shears themselves are two slabs of hardened stainless steel ground to perfection, and they pivot on a massive 1/4” diameter bolt. The whole device simply oozes quality and strength.

But does it work? You betcha. Not that previous pruner tools from Leatherman (the Hybrid and the Vista) were any slouches, but the commercial grade Genus completely outclasses them. Doing a little judicious trimming on my junipers this morning with a Hybrid and a Genus left no doubt about the superior cutting ability of the Genus. Something about the way the cutter head is on an angle to the handles makes it so much more comfortable to use. That of course, and the smooth metal handles with no blade channels pressing into the palm of my hand.

Again though, its not that the Hybrid was lacking, its just that the Genus is so superior. And it should be, given that Leatherman designed it as a tool for the landscaping professional.

To that end, the tool can be completely disassembled in a matter of moments for ease of cleaning or sharpening. A handy diamond file with open end wrench is included with the Genus. The wrench is for taking apart the tool, the diamond file is for touching up dull pruners. It stores easily in a compartment on the belt sheath.

So what else can the Genus do? Push the big button on the side, rotate the handle half way around, unfold some blades and find out. There’s a 3” long knife blade that looks like its been borrowed from the Core, as well as the Core’s phillips screwdriver and saw blade. All are impressively long, and all of them lock open.

Also included is an extra long flathead screwdriver that doubles as a “sprinkler head adjustment key.” Given that it is well below freezing outside as I write this, we’ll have to wait until later this summer to test out that function. :P

Speaking of the locking blades, Leatherman came up with a clever way of making the unlocking part go a little easier. Because the handle is rotated half way around when deploying the blades, it makes pushing the lock release lever down somewhat awkward. To solve this problem, two “ears” on the locking lever overhang the sides of the handle somewhat, and the undersides are knurled. This makes it a simple matter to pull up on the lever, releasing the locked blade. (More complicated to explain than to do. In practice it works smoothly and feels natural)

Should you ever damage the pruner blade beyond its ability to be resharpened, replacements are available from Leatherman. Same goes for the mainspring. And the diamond file/wrench.

Did I mention how great the quality is on this thing? It’s fabulous. This is the way all tools should be built. From the crossbolt safety lock button that looks to have been machined on a lathe, to the rubber overtravel stop nested behind the jaws, even down to the little oval-shaped washer that prevents the safety lock from dragging on the aluminum; every little detail is done right. Quite frankly, I feel as though I’ve got a rather critical eye for nitpicking faults, and I can’t find anything to complain about on this tool. (Well, maybe except for the price.)  ;)

Good:
Heavy duty construction
Comfortable grip, without the use of plastic parts
Long reach on blades and drivers

Not so good:
High price
I can’t think of anything else

Dimensions:
Length                    9”  (225mm)
Width          2-1/2”  (65mm)
Thickness      3/4”  (18mm)
Weight         11.9 oz   (336g)

Food for thought:
It seems to me that the industrial strength handles and frame of the Genus would make an excellent platform for future Leatherman tools featuring channel-lock type plier jaws, or lineman’s plier jaws. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
:)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 02:50:21 AM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Leatherman Genus
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 04:04:52 AM
How much did it cost you?  :o

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 08:25:35 AM
I love that tool, Bob.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 10:08:52 AM
The Genus never really appealed to me, but up close that thing is pretty cool.  8)  I like the way the wearable parts can be replaced.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 01:52:29 PM
If ever there was a LM that was built to last a life time, this is it :)

Great review mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 01:55:39 PM
How much did it cost you?  :o

I got lucky and "stole" mine on an eBay auction for only $53.00  8)   (most often I see them listed at around $80 to $90)

Which if a Charge TTi is able to justify its $120 MSRP, then at $90 the exquisitely built Genus is a bargain.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 01:58:24 PM
In fact the more I think about it, the more I feel that this could be the best tool for bushcraft out there :) (after a fixed blade obviously ;))

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 10:50:20 PM
I dunno if I'd want one for that much. Sure it's cool, but around the house a much cheaper fiskar pruner work just as well. If I need a saw I'd walk a couple of feet and get a full sized one.

The blade looks pretty awkward to use with that big of a handle.

Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 11:11:38 PM
Yeah but when your out in the wood's it'd really earn it's keep :)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 11:58:41 PM
I really don't know much about bushcraft, but why would you need a pruner in the woods?  ???

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 01:36:54 AM
Have you tried using the screwdrivers? I'm wondering if it would be a bit difficult/awkward to really bear down on a screw... ???

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 02:06:00 AM
Have you tried using the screwdrivers? I'm wondering if it would be a bit difficult/awkward to really bear down on a screw... ???

Well, actually I hadn't tried the screwdrivers until you made that post. Nothing close at hand to give them a good test on. Playing around with the screws in the door jam here, the Genus doesn't feel any more/less awkward as a screwdriver than most other multitools.

The pruner head just extends out the other side of my hand and isn't a factor. (Of course, if driving screws in areas with tight clearance this could be a problem)

I used the saw blade outside today to cut a few dead branches. No problems at all there. Just now used the knife blade to cut out a shipping label. Holding onto the whole rest of the tool makes delicate knife work like this a bit clumsy. But its doable. Shouldn't be any problem using the knife to cut things like rope or hose or such.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 02:34:27 AM
I really don't know much about bushcraft, but why would you need a pruner in the woods?  ???

Cutting brush and small branches is much easier with the pruners.  I can't speak for the Genus, but the pruners on the Hybrid/Vista will cut branches 3/4" thick.  You could use that for cutting small branches for kindling, cutting fir tree boughs for a ground cover or for a roof on a lean to.  There's lots of ways the pruners could help.  You have to think of them as some heavy gage shears, not just gardening cutters.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 03:08:11 AM
Thanks Bob! I had wondered about that ever since I saw the design (way back when...). Now all I need is a good excuse to spend the $$$ on one! I know my wife wants to take up some gardening this summer, so that might be a good start... But why she needs a screwdriver in the garden is beyond me! (Though if I think hard enough I'm sure I'll think of something. :D )

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 03:44:19 AM
Don't forget, its not just an ordinary screwdriver......its also a super ultra-useful "sprinkler head adjustment key."

Wouldn't want to set foot outside without one of those!  ;) :D

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 04:01:33 AM
Hey got 'er up on the main page for you buddy, awesome review!

David

http://www.multitool.org/leatherman-tool-group/large-tools/leatherman-genus.html

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 04:18:52 AM
I agree with David. Great review Bob. I thought with the Hybrid and Vista LM was done with the pruner market. Looks like with the Genus they still have some ideas left.
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 04:49:28 AM

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 04:57:35 AM
I agree with David. Great review Bob. I thought with the Hybrid and Vista LM was done with the pruner market. Looks like with the Genus they still have some ideas left.

Yah, and I'm thinking the Genus represents somewhat of a different target market for Leatherman. Always before they designed tools for folks like us to carry around "just in case" we needed them. As such, the need to be lightweight and fold into a compact little package was critical.

With the Genus it seems like they are targeting someone who is going to carry it on their belt and use it hard every single day. The professional so to speak. This guy doesn't want to screw around unfolding the whole tool every time he needs to cut a branch. So Leatherman made the Genus really heavy duty, and non-folding.

I'd like to see them continue in this direction with other professional tradesmen. Like plumbers for instance, with an industrial-strength channel lock multitool. Or a set of linesman multitool pliers for electricians. (I'm sure there's more.)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%