Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Big Red 2104

Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,836 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Big Red
« on: January 16, 2013, 12:03:56 AM »
This is another tool I found at the Sheffield booth at SHOT 2011.

It seems like a bit of an overly complicated design, but it did have a certain Disco-like appeal to it.

I haven't actually found one for sale anywhere, but then again I never really looked too hard either!  :P

It isn't all just pizazz though, there's a few things that I like on this one.  The pliers seemed really solid for something so bulky and flashy.  I also like the bit driver, although if I recall correctly it wasn't a standard 1/4" type.

The corkscrew was kind of an odd choice as well, but it was actually done nicely.  However, as I mentioned in the Mastergrip thread I thought the fold out wrench doodad is brilliant.

It makes this one worth buying just for that.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,038 I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: Big Red
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 12:10:45 AM »
I quite like the wrench bit, but apart from that, it might be the ugliest tool you have ever posted :rofl:

A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,836 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 12:30:06 AM »
Yes, it certainly could be.  And, without anything for reference it's hard to tell, but this thing is actually quite large too- if I recall correctly it was about twice the size of a PST or Spirit.  It wasn't heavy because of the sheet aluminum and plastic used through most of the construction, but it was bulky.

The wrench was a really cool feature that I really wish PEOPLE IN OREGON WOULD INCLUDE ON BETTER QUALITY TOOLS.   :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:

[/subtle hint]

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
No Life Club Posts: 4,950 Never forget Yourself in the wind of success!!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 12:31:22 AM »
Clever wrench.

• Too bad the wrench position wasn't reversed. That way a bigger nut/bolt would allow some use of the blade in one hand and the tool on the other for more torque.
• For smaller nuts/bolts that smaller portion should be positioned toward the outer end as they would more than likely not need that much torque. If they did it would be a good sign to go grab a real wrench.

My 2¢ worth.

¬ Outback in Idaho

Ran out of toilet paper, started using lettuce leaves. Today was just the tip of the iceberg, tomorrow romaines to be seen.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 12:32:55 AM »
Yes well if the designer had to put actual thought into it then they might have had to double the price on this one to almost $14....

But then the big guys are also guilty of having great ideas and not following through with them properly either.

Def

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,375
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 01:19:41 AM »
I think I saw a Tekut model at Cabela's website.

*goes to look*

Whoops, nope, it was Sportsman's Guide.

Really expensive, though.  :think:
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 01:51:52 AM »
Yeah, that looks like the same one, only not quite as Disco-ey. 

I doubt I would part with that much cash for it though disco or not.

Def

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,909 Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 03:08:30 AM »
Oh God, for the love of Smurf, MY EYES!  :ahhh

I can HEAR my retinas sizzling. Thank you! :ahhh
Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,038 I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 11:32:21 PM »
You need to start handing out darkened safety goggles before you pull that stunt again Def :o

A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 33,306
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 02:12:33 PM »
it is pretty fugly isn't it. :ahhh  Not one I'd be tempted to spend my hard earned cash on. :)

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $98.19
PayPal Fees: $6.07
Net Balance: $92.12
Below Goal: $207.88
Site Currency: USD
31%