Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swissbianco 84mm scissors and cadets

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Swissbianco 84mm scissors and cadets
on: December 05, 2012, 03:15:36 AM
Hi folks,

As with many of you, I would greatly love a Alox Cadet with a pair of scissors.  I know there are some excellent modders out there who do exemplary custom work that make a fine Sak.  There is also Swissbianco which offers some limited run knives that are also great, but not made to order (although they often have nonstardard functions).

So, what to do?  Carry a rambler with a cadet?  Step up to the big boy plate for custom work?  Or if we are patient, will there be 50 Cadets plus scissors available for us?

There are two pieces of public info from Swissbianco that give me hope and also frustration.  The first is a post on youtube from 4 months ago:

the 84mm scissors are not made for many years and the 93mm scissors will not? be made anytime and the 91mm ones do not fit so we can not do sutch a victorinox sak. we do the best we can with what we have.  youtube.com/watch?v=IGWnrsk4f20

The second is a photo SB posted on Facebook in March (2012?):

Interesting huh?  Did SB already use the 84mm scissors?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:41:33 AM by papercut »
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Re: Swissbianco 84mm scissors and cadets
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 04:01:47 AM
I wouldn't be suprised to see some über cool custom 84 mm alox SAK with scissors coming out of this at some point. Why else for would them nice scissors be gathered like this together... Just a guess.

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 05:33:05 AM
Minifarmer plus scissors?  Yes please! $50-70 and I am all in, over $100 and I have to really think about it.

What out of production 84mm models could they recreate though?  Is that more likely than a minifarmer plus scissors?

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:49:50 AM
Sure there are other models possible in theory since there were before done (see standard Vic 84 mm models from past). Then anything that can be done in 84 mm alox could potentially have a scissors layer added, why not.. That pic gives hope. When and what will be done, if at all, no ideea.   
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:52:00 AM by Marius »

de Offline crackout

Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 09:01:57 AM
Let's see. If they see the light of day, they will sell out in minutes.
Even tough I have a Cadet with scissors and another Golfer coming for a mini Alox Huntsman, the original riveting is tempting of course.
Say my name.

Offline space cowboy

Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 03:19:53 PM
I read somewhere that SAK's were selling because of the scissors alone. The scissor function is very popular.

de Offline crackout

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 03:25:18 PM
They always argue that the scissors are not made anymore. But why not just make new ones?
Is the 84mm line that unpopular?

I think for the kid knives a pair of scissors is much better than a woodsaw. :facepalm:
Say my name.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 04:03:10 PM
To me the springs are more valuable than scissors.  I can take a pair of 91mm scissors, change the pivot and shorten the handle in about 15 minutes, but hacking the old backsprings I use takes well over an hour of fiddling.  Putting nice new modern 91mm scissors on is nicer anyway, but Id love to have a pile of the right springs, that would save me so much time!  I thought about making up springs for cadets too, but I dont mod as many of those as I do pioneers, so I dont think Id really need 250 of them.  :D

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 04:23:33 PM
The 91mm scissors do look vey cherry on the cadet. So nice!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 04:36:25 PM
Go custom, no question. Syph can make the knife you want, not something you have to wait for that may or may not happen.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 07:53:50 PM
They always argue that the scissors are not made anymore. But why not just make new ones?
Is the 84mm line that unpopular?

I think for the kid knives a pair of scissors is much better than a woodsaw. :facepalm:
Compared to the 91mm line I suspect it is.  The only ones we see regularly here are Waiters and sometimes Cadets. 

It should also be kept in mind that standard Wenger SAKs are 85mm long and a lot of them have scissors.  I did wonder a while ago if Vic and Wenger had mutually decided to focus on different sizes. :think:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

de Offline crackout

Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 08:02:04 PM
Wenger scissors are in no way comparable to the Vic ones. For one the blade are way thicker and serrated making them unsuited for delicate cutting work (like skin and nails). The other problem is the spring mechanism. When closing the scissors, the spring makes the fixed blade move which is a total precision killer. For me, Wenger scissors are total waste.
Say my name.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 08:07:34 PM
Wenger scissors are in no way comparable to the Vic ones. For one the blade are way thicker and serrated making them unsuited for delicate cutting work (like skin and nails). The other problem is the spring mechanism. When closing the scissors, the spring makes the fixed blade move which is a total precision killer. For me, Wenger scissors are total waste.

I have to admit that I felt the same way when I first tried out the Wenger scissors, but I have become more forgiving after using them for a while (still not as nice as the Vic one's though  ;)).  Lots of other people seem happy with them anyway.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 08:09:05 PM
I would like the wenger ones WAY more if they used a dual backspring.  One for the scissor spring, one for the scissors held open.  Someday I'll do that mod.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 08:59:43 PM
Personally I think that the 91 mm scissors would be too big into the 84 mm frame. If not for the scissors themselves for the fact that they are thicker than the main blade and the other tools. To me the 91 mm scissors look a bit big inside the 91 mm frame already. The 84 mm alox are so compact and thin in comparison that I cannot believe the big scissors sit too well in there. But I may be convinced the other way when I will get to try myself one of these customs, if I will get one of those.

Regardless, is a very cool mod  :cheers:

de Offline crackout

Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 09:42:17 PM
Personally I think that the 91 mm scissors would be too big into the 84 mm frame.
I also think they're a little too big. Looks somewhat overpowered. :D

If not for the scissors themselves for the fact that they are thicker than the main blade and the other tools.
The stock 84mm scissors are also thicker than the blade layer. :whistle:

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:48:27 PM by crackout »
Say my name.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 10:19:34 PM
The stock 84 scissors and stock 91 are identical thickness. (0.100 inches)  They differ very little actually after the pivot is altered.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 10:38:57 PM
I did not know that. You can tell I never had a 84 mm SAK with scissors  :cry: I was/am not much of a fan for this size.

Crackout (sorry I do not know your real name): what is missing from that picture is the original, older, full width tang blade. With an older blade in there I Imagine there won't be that much of a difference left.

So then if the two are the same thickeness I will wait to see when dedicated (either standard or custom) backsprings will be available :)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 10:44:22 PM
Im working on another 84 scissor mod tonight.  I'll take a picture of some stock 84 scissors next to my modded ones to show the differences.   I use the 84s as a guide to grind the 91s, which is why I said they are almost identical.  The cutting portion is the only difference, in that it is a few mm longer, which to me is a plus.

de Offline crackout

Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 10:48:05 PM
Crackout (sorry I do not know your real name): what is missing from that picture is the original, older, full width tang blade. With an older blade in there I Imagine there won't be that much of a difference left.

You're right indeed. I just measured the old style blade to be 2.45mm just like the scissors.

Same thickness. :angel:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:52:49 PM by crackout »
Say my name.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 10:58:18 PM

So then if the two are the same thickeness I will wait to see when dedicated (either standard or custom) backsprings will be available :)

Yes the spring is the pain part.  Right now I make them with 2 91mm springs.  I cut the rest off a modern 91 scissors spring and use it with the 'tail' part of an old style 91mm scissors spring.  Its takes significant fiddling around to get the fit just right.  I only have about 20 of the old style springs left, so thats as many more scissor mods on 84s I can do until Im forced to make some.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 04:46:10 PM
Pictures as promised.  Note the scissors are almost identical, except my hacked 91s have about 2 mm longer cutting surface, which to me is a plus.  Other than that they have the same profile and thickness.

Stock 84mm scissor parts on on bottom in first 3 pictures, and on top in last.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 02:35:55 AM
I known that Syph007's 91mm scissors in an 84mm frame are  :drool: 

They work absolutely fantastic.   :cheers:  :gimme:

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 06:48:33 AM
I asked +B what he is to use the 84mm scissors for and he gave me an interesting and cryptic message:

we work on it - good things needs time - i will post as theyr ready - x projects in the works.

End quote

Hehe

de Offline crackout

Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 11:38:03 AM
On one hand it's exciting of course. One the other hand however, it's bad that he aquired so many 84mm scissors. I noticed an extreme lack of 84mm Climbers and Golfers lately. Bad for modders.

I'm still waiting for my Golfer to arrive. It's been on its way for almost 50 days now. I guess it's lost, yay. >:(
Say my name.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD