Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

C'mon Tim, I want a blunt nosed surge...

tosh · 14 · 2830

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
C'mon Tim, I want a blunt nosed surge...
on: February 09, 2013, 03:54:09 PM
I've been looking at all the various models leatherman does, impressive must say.

BUT..

There isn't a blunt nosed version (or even a cable cutter version for that matter)

I think Tim really ought to branch out a little. The whole line is very much a bit of a muchness, some just beefier than others.

I really like the idea of the new Surge with the ST300 head, sounds great, if it was bluntnosed  and B/O I'd be buying one.

When the new one hits the shelves, I might just pick one up and chop it's snout off!!
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline baja820

Re: C'mon Tim, I want a blunt nosed surge...
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 04:10:27 PM
Talk to metro.....

:salute:
God made man but Samuel Colt made them equal.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 04:11:44 PM
While I realize you are saying "Tim" and meaning the whole Leatherman company, I do believe the actual Tim is pretty well retired these days, so pleading to him may not have much of an effect!  :D

That having been said, I believe it was Metroplocity that cut the tips off some LM and made a blunt nosed something.  (I see I was beaten to it!)  I think it was a great idea and I've been thinking of doing it longer than MTO has been around.  I've always preferred blunt nosed pliers for EDC, and even moreso after last spring when I got a nasty shock tightening the nuts on my starter at the side of a trail.  the ersatz needlenose pliers were just long enough to contact the other nut and give me a good jolt.   :twak:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 04:20:15 PM
While I realize you are saying "Tim" and meaning the whole Leatherman company, I do believe the actual Tim is pretty well retired these days, so pleading to him may not have much of an effect!  :D

That having been said, I believe it was Metroplocity that cut the tips off some LM and made a blunt nosed something.  (I see I was beaten to it!)  I think it was a great idea and I've been thinking of doing it longer than MTO has been around.  I've always preferred blunt nosed pliers for EDC, and even moreso after last spring when I got a nasty shock tightening the nuts on my starter at the side of a trail.  the ersatz needlenose pliers were just long enough to contact the other nut and give me a good jolt.   :twak:

Def

Glad you agree Def!!

If I need pliers, then it's PLIERS that I need, not needlenose.
The surge is a powerful beast, make no mistake - yet it's full potential is never realised due to it's limited head design.
Thanks for the heads up of metro's work - looks fantastic (a little too posh for hard graft maybe). But the idea just looks so........right!!  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 04:41:20 PM
That's really the thing, and I've complained about this loudly before- they aren't needlenose pliers either.  These are proper needle nose:

The "needle nose" pliers found on most multis are actually somewhere between needle nose and blunt nose pliers.  I think Coast has some actual needle nose plier multitools in their fishing section, but that's really about it.  What you get with these half assed needle nose plier tools is pliers that are too dainty and awkward to do proper blunt nose plier jobs and too blunt to do fine needle nose work.  I understand they are supposed to be a happy medium of sorts, but hows about giving the customer some choice- Gerber does, and Leatherman has no sompunctions about taking ideas from them, so why not blunt nosed pliers too?   :pok:

SOG especially should offer blunt nose pliers- super tough plier head with the compound leverage would be awesome, but unfortunately they died out with the Power Plier and CrossGrip.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 05:17:59 PM
I sense you feel quite strongly on the limited head design issue?

But, you are quite right.

..and like you say, SOG would make an unbelievable comeback were they to listen to the customer and actually give us a real choice. Blunt, Shear and Needlenose. The first 2 coupled with their compound leverage system would, I believe put them back on track where they were a few years back.

Basically, it's there for the taking and nobodys taking it.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:04:26 PM by tosh »

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 05:18:44 PM
I wish leatherman would do blunt nose!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 05:37:33 PM
Bluntnosed MP 600, that´s what i always say...  ;)

I´m looking forward to getting my 2nd Leaterman, which is tha Wingman to accompany a Sideckick.
I´m aware both are on the lower end of the Leatherman scale, but I´ll try out a Blunt nose on one of them.
I often look and bid low on Waves, but i know I´ll want a modded head.

I tried the Needlenosed MP 600 and a Power assist, too but always come back to the Bluntnose for EDC.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 05:50:30 PM
Bluntnosed MP 600, that´s what i always say...  ;)

I´m looking forward to getting my 2nd Leaterman, which is tha Wingman to accompany a Sideckick.
I´m aware both are on the lower end of the Leatherman scale, but I´ll try out a Blunt nose on one of them.
I often look and bid low on Waves, but i know I´ll want a modded head.

I tried the Needlenosed MP 600 and a Power assist, too but always come back to the Bluntnose for EDC.

The Blunt nosed 600 is.....Okay - I have one too!!
But it aint a Surge, and as much as I love the one handed flick action plier head, I truly dislike retrieving the inside tools - The handles just don't - in my opinion, open wide enough for the tool to be fast enough to use in real life work enviroments. Going for the philips is a BITCH!! in my view, far, far easier on the butterfly design, namely leatherman and yet I don't really fly the flag for their stuff either due to the pretty poor grade steel used (not the tti's).
But if I wanted a poweful pair of pliers "today" - the surge would be my answer.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 06:02:34 PM by tosh »

us Offline baja820

Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 05:57:30 PM
Ohhh that's a great idea! Modding the pliers on a sidekick. I bet AKadvenurer or metropolicity would take a crack at it!

us Offline baja820

Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 06:11:23 PM
Hmm on second thought the shape may not be ideal for blunt nose

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 06:55:21 PM
I sense you feel quite strongly on the limited head design issue?

I have given it some thought over the years, yes.....:D

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 05:30:33 PM
I wish leatherman would do blunt nose!

I agree!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 05:57:45 PM

The Blunt nosed 600 is.....Okay - I have one too!!
But it aint a Surge, and as much as I love the one handed flick action plier head, I truly dislike retrieving the inside tools - The handles just don't - in my opinion, open wide enough for the tool to be fast enough to use in real life work enviroments. Going for the philips is a BITCH!! in my view, far, far easier on the butterfly design, namely leatherman and yet I don't really fly the flag for their stuff either due to the pretty poor grade steel used (not the tti's).
But if I wanted a poweful pair of pliers "today" - the surge would be my answer.

After 16 years of carrying one i am on the one hand quite aware of the limitations, on the other hand i am quite used to them and am likely rating it better than it objectively is, but all in all the MP 600 offers all i ask of my Multi on a daily basis. The plier head opens wide and is sturdy, after getting the "Sportsman, i finally have scissors a diamond file and a nice awl.
I did and do own several other tools, but i think the one you carry and are used to is the best for you.
I do look at other tools and am not shy to retire my MP 600 if something better comes along.

Back to topic, if Leatherman had the Bluntnose option, I´d be in for one to test for EDC.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%