Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I DON'T LIKE SEMI-SERRATED BLADES!

gb Offline nelson

Re: I DON'T LIKE SEMI-SERRATED BLADES!
Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 10:21:21 PM
Mostly using my blades for electrical work, stripping coaxes etc, so semi serrated is a PITA for me I'm afraid... Gotta have straight and sharp :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wake up in the morning and piss excellence  :)           (Talladega Nights)

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 12:01:54 AM
Ok , My turn to chime in... Lynn I personally have to disagree.... I work around boats,Having my Kershaw Leek with the CE is indispensable, I simply could not do without it. Cutting through dry rope, manila, polymer and a few others is much easier with serrations. I need the plain edge also during the day. Just my opinion.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 12:04:34 AM
And wouldn't it be better if you had both a full plain edge and a full serrated edge?

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 01:04:22 AM
I dont like combo edges cause it doesnt give you enough of either edge to do any good.  I would rather have one or the other.  Mainly use plain edge but I do own a serrated Spydie.  I like MT's that have both. :D

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 01:35:01 AM
Preaching to the choir here!!!   :rofl:  (Okay, okay... I know, it was mostly just for catharsis!... :D )

And wouldn't it be better if you had both a full plain edge and a full serrated edge?

Like, a Byrd Wings, maybe?

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SPBY20GPS/Spyderco-Byrd-Wings-Two-Blades-Plain-and-Serrated-Edges-G10-Handle
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 01:38:46 AM
I don't like green eggs and ham, does that count? :rofl:

I use to like CE blades, but they ended up annoying me. Not enough SE, and not enough PE to make it really useful. I do have to say that I do love a fully SE blade though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 04:37:53 AM
I've had some luck sharpening serrated blades with a pocket fish hook sharpener with an approximately 1/8" diameter rounded diamond file.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:40:00 AM by Landrew »

sg Offline henryhcyap

Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 07:18:55 AM
Ok , My turn to chime in... Lynn I personally have to disagree.... I work around boats,Having my Kershaw Leek with the CE is indispensable, I simply could not do without it. Cutting through dry rope, manila, polymer and a few others is much easier with serrations. I need the plain edge also during the day. Just my opinion.

Must agree that the SE is indispensable for cutting through ropes  :tu:, I help maintain my brother's small fishing boat. But I prefer the full SE and PE combo like the leatherman Wave or Charge. Cutting rope with a CE is fine, but when you want just the PE, you can use only a small section of the blade on a CE. :(
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 284.77 KB)

Offline mulou

Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 10:32:31 AM
I like combo because it looks cool. That's right!

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 01:10:43 PM
I have had no trouble sharpening my CE serrations on my Leek, others I have had problems, When you can only carry 1 knife the CE works best for me.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 01:51:52 PM
I have found them useful on rare occasions, so I don't mind a combo blade as a back up, but otherwise they are just a big pain! Plain blade all the way for the main one :salute:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 03:57:12 PM
Just made a serrated edge for my squirt, even the tiny tools need SE and PE!!

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice job Metro :tu:  You never cease to amaze me with the mods I've seen from you so far here :cheers:

Thank you! I mounted this morning. Looks and is super useful. Full SE for life!!

Nice job, it looks pretty cool :tu: :cheers:  What tool did you replace with that new serrated blade?
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #42 on: January 24, 2013, 05:49:27 PM

Nice job Metro :tu:  You never cease to amaze me with the mods I've seen from you so far here :cheers:

Thank you! I mounted this morning. Looks and is super useful. Full SE for life!!

Nice job, it looks pretty cool :tu: :cheers:  What tool did you replace with that new serrated blade?

I replaced the old SE blade I made.

Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #43 on: January 24, 2013, 06:36:45 PM

I replaced the old SE blade I made.

Oh wow, that old SE blade looks vicious :)  How well did it work?
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #44 on: January 24, 2013, 06:39:18 PM

Too well. I was worried about the "teeth"
Break off.
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

ba Offline IoNForce

• I'm supposed to be the smart one
Reply #45 on: January 24, 2013, 07:12:55 PM

Too well. I was worried about the "teeth"
Break off.

Personally, I think those serrations (more like teeth  :D ) are more like a saw than a knife!
I do like combo-edge serrations, especially on Victorinox knives. I own a combo Sentinel and I find the serrated edge to be an advantage on utility knives.

us Offline Swearengen

• Betcha I could go 24hrs without betting...aww crap
Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 05:41:17 PM
Having a CE blade merely cuts down on the size of working edge.  Not only is that bad, but it moves the majority of your work towards the pointy end and away from the safer and higher leverage hilt area.

I like combo because it looks cool. That's right!
We're gonna keep seeing CE blades until we outbuy the majority of consumers who buy because CE "looks cool".

Ropework and boating are two needs for CE, but it doesn't justify the whole industry going to this feature. 

Pirates, historically speaking, were some of the finest and most dedicated Multitool guys ever.  They commonly cut their limbs off just to take advantage of Multitool capabilities: e.g. Captain Hook, Long John Silver, Pegleg Pete, the list goes on and on...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #47 on: March 19, 2013, 05:59:26 PM
Combo edges are more of a sales feature to sell the knife, rather than a use feature.

Yes full serrations can aid in rope cutting, but mariners of old used sheepsfoot style blades for most rope cutting.  Yout put the blade on top of rope, on some wood, and hit with a hunk of wood.. rope cut.

The only place I personally felt a serration is useful is in the kitchen to cut my bread, and as a rescue blade.

Now thats not to saw have 2 blades, one plain, one serrated isnt a bad idea, that's the best of both worlds, instead of a combo edge, the worse of both worlds.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #48 on: March 19, 2013, 06:17:51 PM
+1 !!!
Combo edges are more of a sales feature to sell the knife, rather than a use feature.

Yes full serrations can aid in rope cutting, but mariners of old used sheepsfoot style blades for most rope cutting.  Yout put the blade on top of rope, on some wood, and hit with a hunk of wood.. rope cut.

The only place I personally felt a serration is useful is in the kitchen to cut my bread, and as a rescue blade.

Now thats not to saw have 2 blades, one plain, one serrated isnt a bad idea, that's the best of both worlds, instead of a combo edge, the worse of both worlds.
Sailors of old had to cope with wires and ropes of old i think. And you cannot lay on a piece of wood a line that is in full tension and needs to get cut suddenly.
Antonio

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: March 19, 2013, 07:16:13 PM
Also worth remembering that a line under real tension will part far more easily that one that isn't.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #50 on: March 19, 2013, 07:34:28 PM
Thanks for bringing up this thread, I had been meaning to post here before joining.  :D
I don't really hate serrations, they can be plenty useful. Just not on a general utility blade.
I am biased towards hybrid blades with both plain and serrated edge. Don't think they are that useful but for a few exceptions cases. I too think that no matter where they are placed on the edge, serrations compromise a lot of function on these semi-serrated blades as others have pointed out and that's why I don't care much for them. It's also why I like MTs with two different, dedicated blades. Good thing Vic didn't put better scissors on the Spirit, I had one option really. :D This brings us to another interesting point of the serrations debate, the bevel. My personal preference is a good V grind but this doesn't work well for serrations and though a chisel grind can be scary sharp and go even worse with some good serrations on it I dislike the fact it can really be useful for one hand only, depending directly on the side it is found on the blade. Then there's the serrations pattern and its tremendous role in this whole question. This is were things get ugly and disappointing as well. How they are made tells us something about the very actual value of the knife itself in my opinion. I see cheap kitchen knifes that could perform better than more or less expensive, supposedly action-orientated stuff if asked to do so and I end up wondering why these serrations are so pointy, so dense, so wavy and so on. Finally, there's the maintenance thing. Serrations are difficult to make and hard to take care of. In return they last a long time. So, in conclusion I think I can say I prefer a plain edge and have a carefully picked fully serrated blade or two for those tasks these were meant to accomplish. Still wondering about the perfect serrations pattern but not intensively.  :whistle:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:07:06 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #51 on: March 19, 2013, 08:56:03 PM
Also worth remembering that a line under real tension will part far more easily that one that isn't.
True, even easier if you have serrations on your blade!
Antonio

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #52 on: March 19, 2013, 09:14:44 PM
True, even easier if you have serrations on your blade!

.... but if you DO need to cut a tensioned line with a plain edge blade and the blade "rides" rather than slices, the answer is to push cut on an angle ... imagine sharpening a stick - that's the action you're looking for. Just remember to keep your distance and allow for both ends of the rope to go TWANG and any other movement that might happen as a result ... cos it'll happen quick!

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #53 on: March 19, 2013, 09:43:49 PM
Very true 50ft-trad! I wanted to express that concept of the plain edge "riding" but i couldn't! Overall i just say: SE and CE have their place in the world! At least IMVHO!
Antonio

us Offline Yalius

Reply #54 on: March 19, 2013, 09:51:18 PM
I'd love to have a PE blade with a single large, half-moon serration right near the pivot. I use the large serration on one of my Kershaws frequently for ringing Cat-5e.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: March 19, 2013, 10:58:39 PM
I used to hate CE blades, but then I accidentally picked up a skeletool with a CE from here.
And actually whilst I'm not converted to a CE evangelist I'm certainly not a hater any more. I can see their uses for me, and I found that the larger serrations worked pretty well for stripping the sheath from cables.

I actually have more of an issue with having two blades mounted symmetrically on a tool as in the Wave, because when I pull it out of my pocket and flick the blade open there's a 50:50 chance I've got the wrong one. And that's really irritating for me. "look, I've got a really handy fast deploying blade. Oh wait, not that one, just a moment, *fold, twizzle, flick* there we go!"

The Wave would be hugely improved for me if the two blades were on the same side, e.g. one swapped with the file, so that I knew that the quick deploying blade was my primary and the one on the other side was my secondary. It would also help the lefties because there would always be a quick deploying blade on the correct side.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #56 on: March 19, 2013, 11:21:13 PM
On the Wave, with your thumb on the blade, just before deploying it, you can feel the area just over the thumb hole. The serrated blade has notches there, and the plain one doesn't. You don't even need to look to know which blade you're about to open.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: March 19, 2013, 11:33:10 PM
you must have a lot more feeling in your fingers than me  :)

I have very little fine feeling in my fingers and thumbs.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #58 on: March 20, 2013, 01:04:01 AM
On the Wave, with your thumb on the blade, just before deploying it, you can feel the area just over the thumb hole. The serrated blade has notches there, and the plain one doesn't. You don't even need to look to know which blade you're about to open.
You know, I'd never noticed that. :-[  I just look at the other long tool; if I can see the saw then I know it's the plain edge next to it, if I can see the file then I know it's the serrated.  Plus I make sure it goes back in the sheath the same way every time.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #59 on: March 20, 2013, 01:54:05 AM
Agreed here.  I love having a full PE and a separate full SE blade, but really dislike a partially serrated blade on an EDC knife.  One exception is that on a larger survival type fixed blade knife, I could justify having a partially serrated edge, and gven the right implementation and need I would prefer it.
:)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD