Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are your opinions about SwissCards and other credit card tools?

tr Offline TurkTeen

• Meet The Youngster: 13 Years Old and SAK Collector
So yeah, I've been eyeing the SwissCard Classic for a while lately. It packs useful functions (letter opener blade, great scissors) into a different yet sleek package for a fairly reasonable price. What do you masters of multitools think? Is it worth a buy?
I cannot mod.
I cannot trade.
But I can collect.

You have not felt real pain until you have used Tapatalk on a Blackberry...

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
I've looked at them... and looked at them again... and just keep thinking they're a Vic 58mm that takes up more space.

Minus things like a magnifying glass, they really don't offer anything above what I see on a 58mm line.

I think in some specific instances, their form factor might be preferred over the knife style.

Some of the gear on Tool Logic cards looks more interesting to me.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
I'd have to say I agree with Lynn.

The only reason I can see for carrying one of these is for it's original intention.......to be put into a wallet or purse and basically fogotten about.
Yeah, I do have one of the swisscards but have never carried it, my Explorer performs just as well if not better.

UPDATE   I've just realised my wallet does indeed contain a credit card tool - the all steel version (£3-4 off ebay). It's been there for almost 2yrs and never once been called into action - pretty pointless carrying  I suppose.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
No appeal , or use to me .

Chris

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
The "just in case" part of my brain keeps telling me to buy one and stick it in one of the credit card slots of my wallet.  Because, you know, you never know.   :whistle:

In general though, I always have a small SAK (or a Squirt) and a light in my pockets.  And if I've got my EDC bag I've got my CT41, Juice S2, Spydie Stretch 2, Preon 2, an extra pair of AA's, an extra pair of AAA's, 20' of paracord, a lighter and 10' of duct tape, a Fox 40 whistle, a pocket full of band-aids and spare meds, a nail clipper, a packable hand towel, my sunglasses and case, and a notebook and pen.  So, I've never really felt the need to actually get one, because I'd rather have other things that I think would be more useful to me.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
I've got the toollogic  t1 business card in my organiser and it's there as back up but a handy thing for night outs when other options are too big or blade orientated  :tu:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
I've got the toollogic  t1 business card in my organiser and it's there as back up but a handy thing for night outs when other options are too big or blade orientated  :tu:

I have a toollogic card too.  The survival card with firesteel This one:

While the SwissCard has nicer tweezers and toothpick, the knife is MUCH nicer on the toollogic and the firesteel works well.  I think it would be great in a backpack survival kit.

nl Offline Wootz

Swisscard: did you know you can slide the handle of the blade in the card for better grip?

What's really ackward to operate are the balpen and scissors..  :-\

ca Offline Landrew

• Not yer typical toothless abductee
Amazing coincidence, I read this just as I was using my SwissCard blade to fix a hangnail. Used the scissors to trim a nail, and the file to smooth it down.

I was given a ToolLogic card for Christmas a few years ago, and it turned out to be junk; parts fell out and got lost, handles broke off and some parts were badly made.  I went to a local knife store for parts, and saw the SwissCard, bought it instead, and as far as I'm concerned, there's no comparison. The SwissCard is vastly superior.

ca Offline Landrew

Swisscard: did you know you can slide the handle of the blade in the card for better grip?

Wasn't sure what you meant until I slid the knife handle in backwards. It doesn't stay in that way however.

nl Offline Wootz

Wasn't sure what you meant until I slid the knife handle in backwards. It doesn't stay in that way however.

Well on a swisscard lite you can hold it somewhat with thumb or finger, that or duck tape  :P

ca Offline Landrew

Well on a swisscard lite you can hold it somewhat with thumb or finger, that or duck tape  :P
Then how would I cut the duct tape?  ???

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Amazing coincidence, I read this just as I was using my SwissCard blade to fix a hangnail. Used the scissors to trim a nail, and the file to smooth it down.

I was given a ToolLogic card for Christmas a few years ago, and it turned out to be junk; parts fell out and got lost, handles broke off and some parts were badly made.  I went to a local knife store for parts, and saw the SwissCard, bought it instead, and as far as I'm concerned, there's no comparison. The SwissCard is vastly superior.

Interestingly enough, I've already done a formal review (it's searchable if interested).

But here's the gist of it: I found the Toollogic Survival I card a much more useful toolset for form. 

First off, the knife was MUCH more robust.  Larger blade, thicker spine:

Certainly more capable than the 58mm Classic blade of the Swiss card.

Nothing else on the card is really "breakable".  Not the whistle, nor compass nor firesteel.

As I mentioned, the SwissCard tweezers and toothpick were nicer--not really what I would call "Survival critical however.

The one caveat is: If you happen to have a SwissCard with Quattro driver, that is a lovely feature.  Great little one piece flat driver:

As for the standard SwissCard,

I think it is little more than a Vic Classic 58mm with a lot of extra plastic. 

My daughter likes one in her clutch purse, but I haven't asked her if she'd prefer a Classic instead. :think:

ca Offline Landrew

Interestingly enough, I've already done a formal review (it's searchable if interested).

I'm willing to give ToolLogic a second chance on the promise that they may have been able to step up the quality control since my unfortunate experience. Thanks.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice

I'm willing to give ToolLogic a second chance on the promise that they may have been able to step up the quality control since my unfortunate experience. Thanks.

The Survival I card is really quite nice.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!

I have a toollogic card too.  The survival card with firesteel This one:

(Image removed from quote.)

While the SwissCard has nicer tweezers and toothpick, the knife is MUCH nicer on the toollogic and the firesteel works well.  I think it would be great in a backpack survival kit.

I have the same model in black, plus a Companion Ice II (I think) which has a plain edged blade and different tools including a very useful mini-driver. I do think they make for OK back up tools ... but I have a Classic, Mini Bucktool and other goodies in my wallet anyway  :)

Totally agree on the superior knife BTW - I really like it  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21