Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK's & Lighters 1183

Full Member Posts: 102
Re: SAK's & Lighters
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2021, 11:10:35 PM »
My pocket worn Zippo, Ronson and soldier. The Ronson was picked up as a curiousity and I don’t know much about it. It has an issue striking the flint so doesn’t work. If anyone can shed some light I am all ears.
Sr. Member Posts: 350 The SAK Also Rises
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2021, 11:18:51 PM »
Wish I could help, but lighter flint mechanics are like the dark side of the moon. NICE ZIPPO!

He had decided none of it was true, except what he carried with him everyday.-—SgtTowser
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2021, 11:22:30 PM »
Wish I could help, but lighter flint mechanics are like the dark side of the moon. NICE ZIPPO!

Thanks SgtTowser! The Zippo was found in the snow by my dad. Saw something sparkle and picked it up. When he flipped it over it already had my name on it so he gave it me and I carried it for years. Wore the chrome right off in a bunch of spots and the hinge is a bit janky. I display it in my gun room now that I no longer smoke except the odd cigar.

The mechanics of the Ronson I may be able to figure out with some patience. I was hoping to know a little more about the lighter and its vintage.
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2021, 11:28:05 PM »
McGyvers Ronson Princess looks just like mine. Although,mine has a very faint crest on one side.
No Life Club Posts: 3,900 join The American Legion Family - since 1919
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2021, 02:52:53 AM »
Thanks SgtTowser! The Zippo was found in the snow by my dad. Saw something sparkle and picked it up. When he flipped it over it already had my name on it so he gave it me and I carried it for years. Wore the chrome right off in a bunch of spots and the hinge is a bit janky. I display it in my gun room now that I no longer smoke except the odd cigar.

The mechanics of the Ronson I may be able to figure out with some patience. I was hoping to know a little more about the lighter and its vintage.
I have one of those somewhere here from when everyone smoked! Probably dad's...

join KNIFE RIGHTS
Newbie Posts: 25
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2021, 03:09:37 PM »
My old IAFF Zippo. 

No Life Club Posts: 1,278
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2021, 11:43:39 PM »
McGyvers Ronson Princess looks just like mine. Although,mine has a very faint crest on one side.

Nice Ronson :D

What do you figure the problem with the flint system may be...?  :think:

Can you give more specifics on what it's doing and what exactly doesn't seem to be working?

The system it's pretty simple it's just a screw/lid at the bottom of the lighter with a spring with a bushing at the end that holds the flint at the top against the abrasive wheel on a pivot point that's actuated when the lever it pressed. So if the lever mechanics is ok and the wheel with the abrasive turns, it maybe down to just the spring tension being a little loose and not pressing the fling enough against the abrasive... Just a wild guess here...  :think:

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2021, 01:29:46 AM »
When I press down on the lever the striker wheel doesn’t spin and the cap that covers the wick doesn’t raise completely. Only flips up about 45 degrees. There seems to be a ratching system for the wheel that I am suspecting isn’t actuating properly or is gummed up with crud.

I was rumaging around in some of my curiosities and found another Ronson. It is marked Princess and the one in my previous photo is marked Standard after a closer look. Very much the same but the Standard is slightly bigger than the Princess.
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2021, 01:37:18 AM »
When I press down on the lever the striker wheel doesn’t spin and the cap that covers the wick doesn’t raise completely. Only flips up about 45 degrees. There seems to be a ratching system for the wheel that I am suspecting isn’t actuating properly or is gummed up with crud.

Humm... it might well be the issue...  :think: These things are from the 40's and 50's so wear or dirt on parts is pretty common...

Here are some decent diagrams that may help a bit if you try to disassemble it to fix:

Open them on a new tab to see in full size.

;)

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2021, 02:17:37 AM »
Thanks Mac! That is really helpful.  :cheers:
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2021, 02:54:12 AM »
Thanks Mac! That is really helpful.  :cheers:

You're welcome mate  :cheers:

There is also this repair manual... I think there is some pages for the Princess at the beginning

http://www.toledo-bend.us/VCL/manual/manual.asp?page=007

Sr. Member Posts: 350 The SAK Also Rises
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2021, 05:05:38 AM »
Holy moly!

That is a lot of parts to light a butt!

Excellent introduction to the nano world of lighters.

He had decided none of it was true, except what he carried with him everyday.-—SgtTowser

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
February Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: $157.48
PayPal Fees: $9.21
Net Balance: $148.27
Below Goal: $151.73
Site Currency: USD
49%