Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which SAK is getting pocket time today?

k12cop · 43679 · 1509747

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Which SAK is getting pocket time today?
Reply #42900 on: September 17, 2021, 08:13:45 PM
Climber today, being used to test the fit of new scales I’m working on. Don’t worry, toothpick slot will be added in the next design  :whistle:

Nice, keep us posted!

:cheers: :tu:

Have you thought about the pin slot, too?

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #42901 on: September 17, 2021, 08:19:57 PM
Nice, keep us posted!

:cheers: :tu:

Have you thought about the pin slot, too?

Of course  :cheers:   Waiting on the right bit to come in, can’t have plus scales without pin slot. Also have some better scale material on the way, this stuff is just a prototype though I kind of like it.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42902 on: September 17, 2021, 08:54:37 PM
Of course  :cheers:   Waiting on the right bit to come in, can’t have plus scales without pin slot. Also have some better scale material on the way, this stuff is just a prototype though I kind of like it.

Look at the videos from Felix Immler. He has a lot of scale mods, maybe you can include them as base design.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FelixImmler

:tu: :tu:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 08:59:54 PM by pfrsantos »

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #42903 on: September 17, 2021, 09:38:39 PM
Cool scales!

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #42904 on: September 17, 2021, 09:58:42 PM
Look at the videos from Felix Immler. He has a lot of scale mods, maybe you can include them as base design.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FelixImmler

:tu: :tu:
Lots of fun stuff there, thanks, I got a lot to browse!  :hatsoff:

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #42905 on: September 18, 2021, 10:29:53 AM
Wow - those are impressive scales! :tu: :like: :like:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #42906 on: September 20, 2021, 04:15:44 PM
Hoffritz Master Craftsman Small

- Terry

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42907 on: September 20, 2021, 04:27:17 PM
Hoffritz Master Craftsman Small

(Image removed from quote.)

That Small is a Great SAK.

:D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #42908 on: September 20, 2021, 06:02:19 PM
Thanks.  :hatsoff:

It's another example of the great SAKs that Victorinox has seen fit to retire.
- Terry

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #42909 on: September 21, 2021, 05:28:50 AM
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
84mm: Bantam
85mm: Evolution S557, Serrated Commander, Traveler, Evolution 18
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #42910 on: September 22, 2021, 08:34:12 AM
Me and my youngest are ready for another day of adventures

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #42911 on: September 22, 2021, 08:54:22 AM
Yellow scales... :like:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline MrPink

Reply #42912 on: September 23, 2021, 04:19:05 AM
Today: Explorer by day and Tinker by night (yeah, in the PJ's).  On weekends, the Evogrip S18 replaces the Explorer. 
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #42913 on: September 23, 2021, 05:06:07 PM
It looks like a busy day.  GAK and Compact.  Considering one blade is serrated and the other isn't and the Compact's opener is a smaller flat blade driver than the GAK's prybar there are no redundancies.  Two reasonable sized knives make more sense to me than a oversized monster like the Champ.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #42914 on: September 23, 2021, 07:56:04 PM
It looks like a busy day.  GAK and Compact.  Considering one blade is serrated and the other isn't and the Compact's opener is a smaller flat blade driver than the GAK's prybar there are no redundancies.  Two reasonable sized knives make more sense to me than a oversized monster like the Champ.

:iagree:  And typically give more blade choices, your pair being a good example.

I'll be on vacation in the mountains next week, and I will likely carry a GAK and a Sportsman on long day hikes for the same reason.
- Terry

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #42915 on: September 23, 2021, 08:28:21 PM
:iagree:  And typically give more blade choices, your pair being a good example.

I'll be on vacation in the mountains next week, and I will likely carry a GAK and a Sportsman on long day hikes for the same reason.

More often than not I get by with only one or the other.  it's only on a really busy day do I carry both or some combination with my Gerber CD .  I have proper tools at home or work SAKs and my CD are really for out and about on weekends and after work.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #42916 on: September 24, 2021, 04:43:54 PM
Amici,
Here is my EDC for the day, basking in all of it's Yellow/Gold glory.. Dunno why, but as of late, I try to "match" all of my gear before venturing out for the day..  :facepalm: I pray I snap outta this sooner than later.. 

Today, it is a 1980's Champ (better fit & finish plus best made mag glass), Dragonfly in H2 steel, Brass S-Baton mini, along with a Brass Zippo.. As for the Swisschamp, I am trying a different method of carrying.

For carry, I am using what they call a "slip" in slip joint land. the knife merely "slips" into a leather pouch that then can be carried in either your front or back pockets. It offers an additional layer of protection as well as prevents it from the assorted lint bunnies from taking root between the springs.

When carrying the knife in this setup, I can best describe as if one was carrying a standard leather wallet in their front pocket. This is my preferred SOP for this specific configuration. If I was asked to improve the design, I would add a clip to attach to the pocket, to keep it more stationary, as well as to cut down one of the sides a tad lower, as to be able to withdraw the knife with more ease. Either using the "O" ring or a lanyard of some form.. Otherwise, it is a different way to carry the big guy over the standard suspension/McGizmo clip rig..

Cheers,
Serge 
EDC.jpeg
* EDC.jpeg (Filesize: 249.36 KB)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 05:48:18 PM by sergemaster »
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42917 on: September 24, 2021, 05:22:28 PM
 :drool:  Great carry and very nice slip. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline Echotech

Which SAK is getting pocket time today?
Reply #42918 on: September 25, 2021, 08:14:46 AM
Not my pocket but my best mate. Hadn’t  seen him for 3 months thanks to lockdown.

He’s never expressed any interest in SAKs before, always thought he found my interest a bit odd, anyway pulls out a Huntsman to chop some food, turns out he thinks he’s had it since the 80’s, no hook, fluted corkscrew, Vssr

Good bloke!

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #42919 on: September 27, 2021, 04:39:59 AM
Ambassador helped me to free a new lanyard.
I found this "Mandalorian" at a good price.
The next step is: Find a "Baby Yoda" bead for my son! :-)

Enviado de meu Moto Z2 Play usando o Tapatalk

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42920 on: September 27, 2021, 04:16:23 PM
Not my pocket but my best mate. Hadn’t  seen him for 3 months thanks to lockdown.

He’s never expressed any interest in SAKs before, always thought he found my interest a bit odd, anyway pulls out a Huntsman to chop some food, turns out he thinks he’s had it since the 80’s, no hook, fluted corkscrew, Vssr

Good bloke!

(Image removed from quote.)

Cool! Bring him to the pack!

:D :D :D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42921 on: September 27, 2021, 04:17:20 PM
Ambassador helped me to free a new lanyard.
I found this "Mandalorian" at a good price.
The next step is: Find a "Baby Yoda" bead for my son! :-)(Image removed from quote.)

Enviado de meu Moto Z2 Play usando o Tapatalk

Nice that would be! Posted you must keep us!

:D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #42922 on: September 27, 2021, 07:15:21 PM
Newly acquired Ranger; what a great tool selection.
I wanted a SwissChamp but cannot abide that cheap looking magnifier, so I bought this one with the idea of adding the old mag/Phillips and pliers layers. It’s so nice as is though, so I think I’m putting that idea on the back burner.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #42923 on: September 28, 2021, 07:44:17 AM
I wanted a SwissChamp but cannot abide that cheap looking magnifier, so I bought this one with the idea of adding the old mag/Phillips and pliers layers. It’s so nice as is though, so I think I’m putting that idea on the back burner.

The champ may have it all, but as far as I am concerned it's too much of a good thing.  It's okay to make do with less or carry two smaller SAK's instead of a ungainly thing that throws off your stride.  Just an opinion. 

SR

us Offline trichosirius

Reply #42924 on: September 28, 2021, 01:08:51 PM
The champ may have it all, but as far as I am concerned it's too much of a good thing.  It's okay to make do with less or carry two smaller SAK's instead of a ungainly thing that throws off your stride.  Just an opinion. 

SR

I actually really like the Champ, but it’s not something I really need or plan on carrying all the time. I generally prefer a minimalist approach and try to avoid redundant tools. The in-line phillips is very good but the can opener works well for 90 percent of my screw-driving needs. Handy pliers, but I always a ps4 on me so they’re redundant. The Ranger is a bit of a tank itself, but IMO well balanced with a useful selection of tools that can take care of a wide variety of tasks. 

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #42925 on: September 28, 2021, 02:22:03 PM
I’ve been a bit MIA this summer due to a new claim I’m working. Regardless other than my trusty 80s era Explorer I’ve also some days been pocket carrying this Outdoorsman (basically an Explorer with a saw and Fish scaler) I’ve used both the saw and scaler quite a bunch so I might start EDCing this one more. I’m way behind on my posts here.. lots of new SAK finds from my explorations to take pictures of and post. Waiting for a vintage 111mm Cowboy coming in the mail today. My first 111mm! More to come  :ahhh  :cheers:
 :mail:

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #42926 on: September 28, 2021, 05:26:05 PM
It's okay to make do with less or carry two smaller SAK's instead of a ungainly thing that throws off your stride.
Packing a SwissChamp in my pocket doesn't throw off my stride...but I do think it's better suited to carrying from the belt.

Waiting for a vintage 111mm Cowboy coming in the mail today. My first 111mm!
Sweet! A 111mm model has yet to make its way to me...
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #42927 on: September 29, 2021, 01:38:26 PM
I actually really like the Champ, but it’s not something I really need or plan on carrying all the time. I generally prefer a minimalist approach and try to avoid redundant tools. The in-line phillips is very good but the can opener works well for 90 percent of my screw-driving needs. Handy pliers, but I always a ps4 on me so they’re redundant. The Ranger is a bit of a tank itself, but IMO well balanced with a useful selection of tools that can take care of a wide variety of tasks.
My pay check is earned using proper tools so that is what feels normal to me.  I like my SAK's, but at their core lot of their tools are compromises.  There are some jobs I just won't do with a SAK or a MT.  That doesn't mean that you can't find total bliss with a champ and if you do, I am happy for you.  I would just rather spend the money on a tool that would pay for itself saving me time at work.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #42928 on: September 29, 2021, 01:42:50 PM
Packing a SwissChamp in my pocket doesn't throw off my stride...but I do think it's better suited to carrying from the belt.

I was using exaggeration to make a funny.  I am glad to hear you don't need a consult with the ministry of funny walks. 

ca Offline Altis

Reply #42929 on: September 29, 2021, 08:26:36 PM
My pay check is earned using proper tools so that is what feels normal to me.  I like my SAK's, but at their core lot of their tools are compromises.  There are some jobs I just won't do with a SAK or a MT.  That doesn't mean that you can't find total bliss with a champ and if you do, I am happy for you.  I would just rather spend the money on a tool that would pay for itself saving me time at work.

I think you'll find most people far prefer dedicated tools for doing work... but those ones are never with me  :pok: When I did field work a few years ago I carried a backpack with dedicated tools, no multitools at all.

For me SAKs are all about being able to resolve on the go, or quicker than having to find and fetch other tools for short little tasks, with a device small enough to always have with you.

Lately I've been using the CyberTool 34/M as it has everything I need to work on my rimfire rifles and scopes for small game hunting season.  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%