Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Jeepers out there?

Thisjk38 · 1143 · 58636

us Offline WECSOG

Re: Any Jeepers out there?
Reply #1020 on: January 21, 2019, 11:21:54 PM
Wranglers are great, for sure. And even the new Wranglers are great. Best 4x4 out of the box. But I agree to some extent with Wes. They have packed so much electronics into the new ones, of course needing to appeal to the younger audience. And they have done silly things as well, such as swelling the interior door handle pods for no obvious reason. Creating a center stack that doesnt really need to be there...This type of move takes up interior space for no obvious reason, making the interior less roomy for all practical matters.

Where the hell do you put the CB in a new Wrangler? Ya, ya, wedge it here or there, but in the CJ and even the YJ, you had lots of space for something like that.

I'd love to get another K1500 Blazer from the 90's. In fact, I'd rather have a 90's big Blazer over today's Wrangler.  (except the Wrangler is still one of the few vehicles that can be got with standard shift).

The fuel economy between a new Wrangler and a new Ford F-150 is practically the same, and you get so much more people AND cargo space with the pickup

I don't know. I'm rambling.

I agree, older Jeeps are much better and everything is getting too bloated and electronically controlled. I got the simplest JK I could, manual transmission etc, but had to accept power windows. I expect it will be my last new Jeep, or new vehicle of any type. But at least Wranglers still have solid axles front and rear.
You're right about space for radios, too. I'm a ham and GMRS operator so that's definitely a consideration. I might remove the center console and build a new, more radio-friendly console.

The new Jeeps also seem good, but again, the iPad screen and the fact that they try to create managed space instead of having a freely flowing open cabin

I know you can still get a brand new Sport model that is standard shift and hand crank windows. You may want to take a look.

To be honest, I'm less a fan of the cameras and such, but the navigation comes in handy, but there's nothing that says you have to use it.

Nope. No more new vehicles for me. For the 30K+ that a new Wrangler costs I can put Dana 60s front and rear, lockers, new NV4500, Atlas transfer case, 4BT Cummins, new winch, brand new remote mount HF/VHF/UHF radios, great stereo, new top, secure lockable storage, tools, etc. for my old JKU and have plenty of money left over. And have a much better vehicle.

WEC, that is exactly the kind of thinking that has me searching for yet another full sized Chevy Blazer or 80'something to 90's Ford Bronco.

I don't have near the mechanical or radio experience you have, but I'm building on that

:like:  Yeah, building it is a big part of the hobby for me. There are lots of guys out there with way more expertise than me, though. I know just enough to know which boxes to check!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #1021 on: January 22, 2019, 12:28:19 PM
I'd be after a bone stock cargo van, which I may or may not outfit myself, depending on what I feel like.  I'd even thought of a small pellet stove in the back to keep it warm for extended periods when I'm in it without the engine running, which happens a lot when I'm at work.  This is pretty close to what I'd like, except that I am thinking of an olive tinted or flat black bedliner on the entire thing.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #1022 on: January 22, 2019, 12:38:34 PM
You need to think if you still need solid axles on both ends and a body on frame.

In your new line of work, and age, you may be able to get something softer and still be satisfied.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1023 on: January 22, 2019, 12:57:27 PM
Last week as I was driving down the pier in the freezing rain, alternating between hitting sheer ice and 8-10 inch deep puddles, many of which were hiding potholes and rail lines all I could think of was "smurf I am glad I have a Jeep."

This was largely reinforced in my mind when I saw a car on the back of a flatdeck truck with a completely buckled front suspension and the fender sitting directly on the tire.  I was reminded of all the times that I have seen that situation.  If normal conditions around here kill IFS in a normal car then I will stick to my solid axles.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #1024 on: January 22, 2019, 04:24:17 PM
Last week as I was driving down the pier in the freezing rain, alternating between hitting sheer ice and 8-10 inch deep puddles, many of which were hiding potholes and rail lines all I could think of was "smurf I am glad I have a Jeep."

This was largely reinforced in my mind when I saw a car on the back of a flatdeck truck with a completely buckled front suspension and the fender sitting directly on the tire.  I was reminded of all the times that I have seen that situation.  If normal conditions around here kill IFS in a normal car then I will stick to my solid axles.

Def
Same here. Lorries don't have IFS, do they?  :iagree: :like:

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #1025 on: January 22, 2019, 04:29:11 PM
You need to think if you still need solid axles on both ends and a body on frame.

In your new line of work, and age, you may be able to get something softer and still be satisfied.

:iagree:

And a lot of vans don’t come stock with 4wd as well.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1026 on: January 22, 2019, 10:22:00 PM

Def

Most pickups nowadays have IFS, but I have yet to see any of them fail.  Still, I will take a solid axle any day of the week.  The front end of my Jeep would have been on the ground long ago if it had IFS.

And no, most vans don't come standard with a solid axle, nor do they usually come as a 4x4, but luckily there are kits for both, and they usually go hand in hand.  That's why I'd be looking for a used van versus a new one, as I would end up spending a lot more money once I got it.

Def

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #1027 on: January 23, 2019, 05:19:14 AM

Def

Most pickups nowadays have IFS, but I have yet to see any of them fail.  Still, I will take a solid axle any day of the week.  The front end of my Jeep would have been on the ground long ago if it had IFS.

And no, most vans don't come standard with a solid axle, nor do they usually come as a 4x4, but luckily there are kits for both, and they usually go hand in hand.  That's why I'd be looking for a used van versus a new one, as I would end up spending a lot more money once I got it.

Def

I'm not talking about pickups; I'm talking about commercial trucks. My point is that there's a reason they don't have IFS. I have seen IFS fail. Solid axles last longer, are more rugged and work much better offroad.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1028 on: January 23, 2019, 11:04:21 AM
100% agreed.   :tu:

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1029 on: January 23, 2019, 12:27:11 PM
IFS strikes again!

Def
FB_IMG_1548242768794.jpg
* FB_IMG_1548242768794.jpg (Filesize: 75.71 KB)

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #1030 on: January 23, 2019, 06:16:51 PM

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #1031 on: January 24, 2019, 10:50:36 AM
You do have a VW golf too, right Grant ?  :)

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1032 on: January 24, 2019, 03:55:43 PM
Nope.

I used to, back when I also had a wife.

The difference is mass- a Jeep has a lot more of it than a Golf.  The Jeep is somewhere in the neighborhood of 4,400lbs versus the Golf which is under 3,000lbs.  The difference in the impact of hitting a pothole at 100kms/hr with almost 1,500lbs in the difference is significant.  IMHO, they can only barely make IFS strong enough for a small car, but they would have to scale it up exponentially for my Jeep.  At that point, why bother, why not just put in a solid axle instead?  There would be no weight savings by the time they made a strong enough IFS.

Further, I have a paranoia that IFS can potentially cause a lot more damage to valuable engine and drive line components.  Look at this diagram I lifted from a Hilux site:

With a solid front axle your precious engine is always off the ground.  If you bottom out your suspension it just means that the chassis hits the axle and stays off the harsh and unfriendly rocks.The fragile mechanical bits will never be lower than your axle, unless of course you have a serious mechanical issue, in which case you aren't driving home anyway.

The same situation with IFS can potentially allow things like your soft and easily destroyed oil pan to hit the ground.  That seems like a really bad thing, and it's not really limited to off road concerns.

:D

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #1033 on: January 24, 2019, 04:13:34 PM
:tu:

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #1034 on: January 25, 2019, 04:29:28 AM
Nope.

I used to, back when I also had a wife.

The difference is mass- a Jeep has a lot more of it than a Golf.  The Jeep is somewhere in the neighborhood of 4,400lbs versus the Golf which is under 3,000lbs.  The difference in the impact of hitting a pothole at 100kms/hr with almost 1,500lbs in the difference is significant.  IMHO, they can only barely make IFS strong enough for a small car, but they would have to scale it up exponentially for my Jeep.  At that point, why bother, why not just put in a solid axle instead?  There would be no weight savings by the time they made a strong enough IFS.

Further, I have a paranoia that IFS can potentially cause a lot more damage to valuable engine and drive line components.  Look at this diagram I lifted from a Hilux site:

(Image removed from quote.)

With a solid front axle your precious engine is always off the ground.  If you bottom out your suspension it just means that the chassis hits the axle and stays off the harsh and unfriendly rocks.The fragile mechanical bits will never be lower than your axle, unless of course you have a serious mechanical issue, in which case you aren't driving home anyway.

The same situation with IFS can potentially allow things like your soft and easily destroyed oil pan to hit the ground.  That seems like a really bad thing, and it's not really limited to off road concerns.

Def

:iagree: :like:  Solid axles also have much better articulation, which might not be important onroad but is very important offroad. And by offroad I mean seriously rough terrain; not just dirt roads.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1035 on: January 26, 2019, 05:27:55 PM

Def
FB_IMG_1548519953476.jpg
* FB_IMG_1548519953476.jpg (Filesize: 44.85 KB)

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #1036 on: January 27, 2019, 01:46:24 AM
 :o :think: :facepalm: :rofl: :like:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #1037 on: February 05, 2019, 10:27:28 PM
Don't knock IFS completely!  I would not want one for what I do off-road, but they are very well proven in off-road racing.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1038 on: February 06, 2019, 11:48:45 AM
Unfortunately most road going vehicles are not overbuilt like a racer like that- and those are not built with longevity in mind either!

Plus the average driver can't afford the level of maintenance that something like that receives!  :P

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #1039 on: February 06, 2019, 01:07:35 PM
I have had IFS on all the vehicles I have used a lot off road, since the early 90s, with no issues. They were all Japanese, so that helped. (Isuzu, Mitsubishi) Skid plates help. Avoiding to crash too quickly onto things also helps

IRS is a pain but it seems to be popular with new offroaders, so they must have it under control in some way.

The only solid front axle smaller vehicles we see here are old LR and G-Wagen, but there are very few around and even fewer go offroad  (mainly used by the army or rich Russians) you also see some older toyota pickups (bone shakers).

The main offrad vehicle here is the Mitsubishi Pajero 1st and 2nd generation, with some Nissans

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #1040 on: February 06, 2019, 08:51:48 PM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1041 on: February 14, 2019, 02:47:59 PM
Popular Mechanics seems to think the 4 cylinder turbo diesel is pretty good:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/trucks/a26303321/2019-jeep-wrangler-four-cylinder-engine/?src=socialflowFBRAT&fbclid=IwAR3fqI3hj5VwF8gM87UszHryp6RJneRlYZne7Bakb9EzCYnVJ9LTnU7Y-WA

I have to wonder if it is good enough to justify the cost, given that diesel (here at least) is about 20% more expensive than gas?

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #1042 on: February 14, 2019, 09:55:22 PM
Or you could swap in an Isuzu 4 cylinder for much cheaper if you can pull it off well  :dunno:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1043 on: February 15, 2019, 09:50:36 PM
I think if I was going to go to the effort and expense of an engine swap I'd probably put in something better, like a Hemi.

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #1044 on: February 15, 2019, 11:24:50 PM
 :dunno: :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1045 on: February 16, 2019, 12:31:36 PM
I have heard that the ideal engine for a Jeep if you want to go diesel is actually a Parker forklift engine.  But again, as diesel is easily 20% more than gas right now I don't feel like a diesel swap is worthwhile, unless it gets at least a 50-60% increase in efficiency, and I doubt it is that much.

Better to wait for the Hybrid Jeep that is expected next year.

Def

us Offline WECSOG

Reply #1046 on: February 17, 2019, 05:32:09 AM
I would like to have one of those Isuzu 4 cylinder diesels in one of my Jeeps.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #1047 on: February 24, 2019, 06:26:44 PM
Sorry I’m late to the party.

Here’s my baby: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ), with the brilliant 4.0 straight six cyl engine.

...and yes I know she is no show car, but cars are meant to be driven...and at 320.000 km she surely has been!

She has a few quirks that needs to be addressed and some cosmetic stuff too.

But overall, not bad for a 21 year old Jeep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1048 on: February 24, 2019, 06:39:19 PM
Not bad?

I'd say pretty darned nice, especially for being 21!

The 4.0L was a great engine.  Maybe it's a bit long in the tooth and archaic by modern engine standards, but it has always been a bulletproof workhorse engine.  I don't believe I have ever heard of a 4.0 failing- it always seems to be a transfer case, axles, transmission or other component around it, but the engine itself seems to go forever.

Great rig!

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #1049 on: February 24, 2019, 06:55:28 PM
Sorry I’m late to the party.

Here’s my baby: 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ), with the brilliant 4.0 straight six cyl engine.

...and yes I know she is no show car, but cars are meant to be driven...and at 320.000 km she surely has been!

She has a few quirks that needs to be addressed and some cosmetic stuff too.

But overall, not bad for a 21 year old Jeep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice!  :tu:

The 4.0 is great :dd:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41