Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Jeepers out there?

Thisjk38 · 1143 · 59828

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Any Jeepers out there?
Reply #121 on: May 04, 2013, 12:16:59 AM
You and me both!   :drool:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #122 on: May 06, 2013, 12:42:24 AM
Amongst some other chores today I managed to get the tops on the Jeep swapped. That soft top was quite unwilling to go on. If/when I ever buy another convertible I'm going to buy it in the summer and have the dealership put the darn thing on!

Part of the reason I waited so long to do it this year is I wasn't certain how I was going to store the hard top.  I had seen carts designed to hold the top vertically with the rear glass on the bottom, so I decided to look into them again. When I looked I saw they were just a few 2x4's with wheels on the bottom and some padding and they sell for $170.  Screw that!

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12020_301_07.htm

Off to Home Depot I went, got some weather-stripping, castors and bolts and made my own for well under $10 and Def is storing his hard top in the garage with no problems!

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #123 on: May 06, 2013, 01:40:35 AM
I heard from someone at work that the soft top can be a pain to get on!  Write, can't believe that they want that much for that rack!  Glad to hear you were able to make something up yourself.

Since putting the bigger tires on I'm having minor rubbing at full lock on the fender liners. They'll push back far enough that the tires won't rub, but I can't figure out a good way to keep them pushed back. I'll have to pull the liners to see if there's a spot that I can zip tie them to.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #124 on: May 06, 2013, 03:25:13 AM
Did you look at the rack?  $170 for some 2x4's!  I'm in the wrong business!  The castors were $8/each except for the one with the brake that was $10, the hardware was less than $10 and I bought foam even though I think I already have some.  I figured I probably wouldn't find it in a reasonable amount of time so I got more.

I seem to recall them being a lot more involved than that, but I guess I was imagining it.

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #125 on: May 06, 2013, 05:09:35 PM
Yeah I couldn't believe it!  I figured that it must have been something a little more "special" than it is for that price.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #126 on: May 09, 2013, 12:13:39 AM
I've been riding around with the top down for the last two days and now I've got a pretty good sun burn.  Summer showed up overnight and its been beautiful here the last couple of days.

It seems almost criminal not to have the top down in this weather!

Def

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #127 on: May 10, 2013, 01:40:56 AM
I've been riding around with the top down for the last two days and now I've got a pretty good sun burn.  Summer showed up overnight and its been beautiful here the last couple of days.

It seems almost criminal not to have the top down in this weather!

Def

Grrrrr oh shut up :P. It hasn't stopped raining long enough or got warm enough here yet :( ugh
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #128 on: May 10, 2013, 02:58:01 AM
Nothing but rain here for the next week, so I had to enjoy it while I could.

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #129 on: May 14, 2013, 01:01:55 AM
The rain made for some nice mud, and my new tires really like to sling it around!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #130 on: May 14, 2013, 02:44:48 AM
Good to hear Derek!

I swapped out my fog lamps and marker lights for LEDs today.  I took some photos that I'll post later when I've had some rest and both eyes are pointed in the same direction...

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #131 on: May 15, 2013, 02:43:15 AM
Guess you can count me in later this week or early next week at the latest. I just signed up for a 2011 Jeep Patriot North Edition with 32000 Km on the odometer. Need to visit the bank tomorrow after work, hop on over to the dealer, do some paper work and pay for it, etc.

For my needs, it will be perfect.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #132 on: May 15, 2013, 04:29:32 AM
Now you gotta jack it up, add bigger tires, get new axles etc etc. remember jeep stands for just empty every pocket ;)
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #133 on: May 15, 2013, 05:10:49 AM
This one comes with 17" Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires. One thing I didn't check and after coming home to check out the specs...not sure if it is a 4x4 or 2x4. If it is only a 2x4...that would be a deal breaker. Guess I will have to ask and make 100% certain it is what I think it is before buying. I didn't know Jeep made 2x4 versions of the Patriot.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #134 on: May 15, 2013, 12:08:50 PM
I was going to ask that but I believe the North Edition package includes the Freedom Drive system.  I couldn't tell you whether it's Freedom Drive I or II, but this link explains the difference:

http://www.jeep.ca/en/4x4basics/systemwork

Either way, don't expect to go off roading with it- I know that isn't your intent, but I want to reinforce that without heavy modification even light trails will be a problem as the Patriot has far too much front and rear overhang and not enough clearance on the underside for anything more than a dirt road.

EDIT- I just found out that North Editions come with either 2 or 4 wheel drive.  Better ask.

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #135 on: May 15, 2013, 12:34:55 PM
Now you gotta jack it up, add bigger tires, get new axles etc etc. remember jeep stands for just empty every pocket ;)
Haha, that it does Steve, that it does!  :D

Hope it works out for you Chako!  If you get it, make sure to share some pics with us!  :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #136 on: May 16, 2013, 02:35:36 AM
Well am a bit ticked off...just slightly though. The good news, it is definitely a 4x4...but the, and I do use their term for it....Freedom drive ! version which is more than ok with me. Sounds like it should work nicely for winter weather. My city has gotten to not plowing the roads as much this winter. It was downright disgraceful in how they tried to save money.

The bad news. I went to the bank, got a certified check for the full amount. Drove over to the dealer only to find out they didn't clean it up any. It had the worst wax job I have ever seen. So much so that it could easily hide lots of imperfections. I wanted to see it cleaned up before I handed him the money. So, now I have to go back after work tomorrow to see it cleaned up...and then I will hand him the check. I think I have a good idea and will probably go through with the deal. I am sorry to say I am falling in love with the little Jeep. So if all checks out, I should be driving it by this weekend...if all the l licensing and stuff on their end goes through as expected.

Def you are correct. Never going to take it off roading. Snow covered roads on the other hand...it will do just fine.   :tu:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:37:35 AM by Chako »

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #137 on: May 16, 2013, 01:48:44 PM
They didn't clean it up when they said they would... I'd knock a hundred or two off from the check. >.>

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #138 on: May 17, 2013, 12:56:50 AM
Well I am now the proud owner of my first Jeep. Still have paperwork and a few things to do before I can pick it up. If all goes well...maybe tomorrow night. If not, Wednesday at the latest. Monday being Victoria Day.  :D

On a bit of a laughter note. The salesman opened the hood and told me it comes with an electronic rust prevention module. He informed me it was around 600 to 800 dollars. All I could think was the poor original owner got screwed by the dealer into buying that...and to promptly undercoat the vehicle with oil before winter sets.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:00:03 AM by Chako »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #139 on: May 17, 2013, 01:02:46 AM
Awesome, congrats!!  I'm sure you'll love it just like most Jeep owners do!!

Just make sure you check the depth of any puddles you come across cause you never know.  :rofl:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #140 on: May 17, 2013, 01:09:37 AM
On the plus side...that electronic rust prevention module should work better under water than on dry land.  :rofl:

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #141 on: May 17, 2013, 03:16:23 AM
On the plus side...that electronic rust prevention module should work better under water than on dry land.  :rofl:

What is an electronic rust prevention module?  It sounds like snake oil and unicorn farts. :think:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #142 on: May 17, 2013, 04:24:27 AM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #143 on: May 17, 2013, 01:05:19 PM
It's a small box that costs you at least $300 and supposedly runs a current through the metal at precisely the right frequency to keep rust from forming.

It is complete and utter bull poopy, but people buy them and legitimate stores (Canadian Tire, Wal Mart etc) as well as dealers sell them, which makes them seem legitimate.  There is a scientific principle that they work on, but in practice it's a different story. 

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #144 on: May 18, 2013, 01:14:52 AM
Well I just got it in my driveway and clicked a photos. I got an even better deal. Once they got the chance to look it up, they found that there was an extended warranty on the vehicle. Bonus.  :D

Another angle...with my dying Chevy Venture in the background.

Here is the interior.

The only scratch that I found is on the tailgate. I am going to get this looked after later. I can just feel it with my fingernail.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 01:23:58 AM by Chako »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #145 on: May 18, 2013, 01:44:46 AM
If your nail catches in it it'll probably need paint. Anything less is a polish/buff.  At least that's the criteria we work with for new vehicles.

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #146 on: May 18, 2013, 03:10:53 AM
Yes, that is what I was thinking.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #147 on: May 18, 2013, 03:15:30 AM
That's a nice looking ride, Dan. :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #148 on: May 18, 2013, 01:09:26 PM
Thank you Sazabi. Today, I want some chrome license plate protectors, and possibly a new GPS unit...one that is larger and with a lifetime map update feature.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #149 on: May 18, 2013, 01:47:06 PM
Probably best just to have a smartphone or tablet and use Google Maps.  I've had quite a few GPS's in my time and I find that is the best option.

That having been said, I have a built in Nav system in my Jeep and I do use it, but I doubt I'll spend money on updates for it when it starts to get old.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%