Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which Wengers are you going to buy (or have bought) now that the brand is dying?

Smaug · 82 · 9137

hu Offline borgwarrior

• Wait,what?
Marios, buy the Evowood S557 as soon as you can, you won't be disappointed. I have one, and it's be-au-ti-ful!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:25:24 AM by borgwarrior »
Small collection of SAK's, (but growing rapidly. :D) not so fast at this time. :( And the most important of all: Ze Zuper Zoldier by Steve!  :ahhh
Wishlist for 2014: Rangergrip 88, Victorinox: CT41, Spirit X BO CC, Swisstool X BO, Some limited Alox stuffs and so on

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Marios, buy the Evowood S557 as soon as you can, you won't be disappointed. I have one, and it's be-au-ti-ful!
(Image removed from quote.)

Yes, i know what you saying, a friend of mine has one.
Just perfect.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
An S557 is looking a lot more appealing now.  I'd be happy with a plain old one; don't need any fancy wood or the like.  :)
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• No Life Club
I got one about a year and a half ago, and did a review for it.  Here's the link if you're interested.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36573.0.html

Thank you! Glad to see you gave it a good review. The comparisons with the 111mm SAK were helpful as I've got a 111mm Outrider. Looking forward to receiving this BIG knife!
Glad to help.   :tu:

Just as an FYI, the one thing the PER Ranger 179 won't be good at is whittling.  Because the serrated portion of the blade is closest to the handle, it pretty much makes it impossible.  I never understood the logic of putting the plain edge close to the handle, like on the Vic 111's with the serrated blades, until I figured that out. 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
I'll be getting the same ones I always get ... the discontinued ones.

I've thought about it quite a bit since the announcement, and Wenger had already stopped making tools I wanted and started making ones I don't. Evo scales and locking blades are not for me. There's nothing from their "current" catalogue which I feel I need to have  :-\

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
I fancy a Pocket Tool Chest as I love small tools.... can't seem to find a cheap one over here yet.

I'd also like to pick up an S557. Tim's got an Evowood one I think :D

Heinnie is the cheapest I've seen ... if you don't mind the evo scales

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=3102

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
I want to get the SI and the EvoGrip 16, but I'm not sure I'll have the spare $ anytime soon.  Our baby will be here by the end of this month, so money is tight right now.  Priorities strike :P  Whenever I may end up with the money, it very possibly will be too late unfortunately :(  I guess I will just have to hope those two SAKs are still available once I have the approval to buy myself something ;)
K-Tibbs

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Paid a visite to the local outdoorshop and the only Wenger knive they had was the Backpacker 2 (more info here). 
They had like 10 of them in an old cardboard box, all in their original Wenger box (the styling from the box looked a bit old fashioned, yet in brandnew condition).

Is this one I should pick up or are these still available everywhere ?

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Paid a visite to the local outdoorshop and the only Wenger knive they had was the Backpacker 2 (more info here). 
They had like 10 of them in an old cardboard box, all in their original Wenger box (the styling from the box looked a bit old fashioned, yet in brandnew condition).

If the price is good I may want to get two of them in your place. I'd say if you like them and price is right, go for one or two! :cheers:

(but then again, I am a bit of fan of the small clip point blade myself)

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club

The link supplied mentions "Patent locking screwdriver" yet there is no screwdriver in the picture and having just googled for "images" of the Backpacker II, I can see no screwdriver on any of those that it brought up - Is it a typo on the ad campaign??
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand

The link supplied mentions "Patent locking screwdriver" yet there is no screwdriver in the picture and having just googled for "images" of the Backpacker II, I can see no screwdriver on any of those that it brought up - Is it a typo on the ad campaign??

Flatheads are screwdrivers, too ;) (like, the one on the end of the caplifter, like it says: "Patented locking screwdriver, cap lifter, wire stripper)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

• Zombie Apprentice

the one on the end of the caplifter ;)

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club

the one on the end of the caplifter ;)

Ahh..
Thanks to you both for pointing that out - I didn't realise they'd adapted it to the cap lifter - the only versions I've seen were the philip drivers - hence my query. Ta :tu:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
OK someone had bought the EKA one I was watching, so I decided to pick up a couple special ones since more people might want to get their hands on a Wenger memory.  Pictures in the Love thread when they arrive.

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Since I had already been collecting (mostly) discontinued models, I think that the latest news about Wenger won't change too much for me.

OK someone had bought the EKA one I was watching...

I bought myself two EKA models last Saturday (with and without scissors). The shop had still a lot of them.
Since they were discontinued not too long ago, I'm sure more will show up

sk Offline Doctor.Skipper

• Learning is funny!
Just bought: Soldat  ;)
Soldat.JPG
* Soldat.JPG (Filesize: 119.63 KB)
Working Hard - Expecting More
Dr.Skipper (ibu)

• No Life Club
Next up for me is either an Evo S14 or Evo S17; not sure which one yet.  I'm leaning toward the 14. 

For next month I'm trying to decide between an S52 or an S557.

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Just bought: Soldat  ;)
Does it has date on the back of blade?

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
It looks like I am soon to get my hands on a SS Pocket Tool Chest - been on my list for a while :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline WoodMan

Just got an SI. Unfortunately it's in the despised clamshell packaging. Oh, well, it's a good excuse to rip it out and play with it.

us Offline rickinFL

My wallet wishes I had not seen this thread.

SI/S557 are inbound.

• No Life Club
I'm actually considering getting a Cyclist now, instead of an S52 or S557.  I'm thinking it'll have more collectible value, and it might actually be useful for me as a bicycle tool.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
I've considered trying to convince the wife to let me buy a Wenger SI.  However, I am also eyeing a black Alox Pioneer.  I already have the Pioneer Rancher, which is silver, so I'm a bit more partial towards getting the black Pioneer.  I would like the SI since it's essentially the same thing, but they don't come in black.  I do like that bail, but I'm not much for lanyards as they just add bulk to my pocket, so I don't see much use in it.  I suppose if I carried less, I would have room to allow for a nice lanyard ::) 

There's also the whole thing about Wenger going down and possibly not having anymore SIs, so that makes me want one to have a piece of the history.  So I'm not sure at this point, but I have a feeling I'll end up getting the black Alox Pioneer (as long as I'm given the ok ;))
K-Tibbs

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
I've considered trying to convince the wife to let me buy a Wenger SI.  However, I am also eyeing a black Alox Pioneer.  I already have the Pioneer Rancher, which is silver, so I'm a bit more partial towards getting the black Pioneer.  I would like the SI since it's essentially the same thing, but they don't come in black.  I do like that bail, but I'm not much for lanyards as they just add bulk to my pocket, so I don't see much use in it.  I suppose if I carried less, I would have room to allow for a nice lanyard ::) 

There's also the whole thing about Wenger going down and possibly not having anymore SIs, so that makes me want one to have a piece of the history.  So I'm not sure at this point, but I have a feeling I'll end up getting the black Alox Pioneer (as long as I'm given the ok ;))

You could use a P-7 clip on it.  I use one for my Pioneer, Soldier and Super Tinker.  Basically, anything more than two layers or if I just dont want to deep pocket carry! :D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!

You could use a P-7 clip on it.  I use one for my Pioneer, Soldier and Super Tinker.  Basically, anything more than two layers or if I just dont want to deep pocket carry! :D

Good suggestion :tu:  I had actually considered a suspension clip of some kind for my Explorer due to it's bulk.  I don't mind the Alox models or my Compact just sitting in the little change pocket within my front pocket.  However, I do like the idea of a little lanyard for whichever SAK I end up getting next (black Alox Pioneer or the Wenger SI) as it would probably be one that I carry daily. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Mud Shrimp Moe

Might pick up a couple of Giant Knives ... one for daily carry and one for the safe.

And a serious question (the above was in jest, you see, the "Giant Knife" is >$1,000), I wonder if Bass Pro Shops will find a way to stock Victorinox now. Currently, the only SAK Bass Pro stocks is Wenger.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.

The SI is an overall better knife than the Pioneer.  For one, the blade is thicker and sturdier.  I would strongly advise you to buy the SI.
SAW

se Offline Northern Geek

Might pick up a couple of Giant Knives ... one for daily carry and one for the safe.

And a serious question (the above was in jest, you see, the "Giant Knife" is >$1,000), I wonder if Bass Pro Shops will find a way to stock Victorinox now. Currently, the only SAK Bass Pro stocks is Wenger.

There are a few members around here who owns them.. :P

hu Offline borgwarrior

• Wait,what?
The DPD just got here with an SI.
Small collection of SAK's, (but growing rapidly. :D) not so fast at this time. :( And the most important of all: Ze Zuper Zoldier by Steve!  :ahhh
Wishlist for 2014: Rangergrip 88, Victorinox: CT41, Spirit X BO CC, Swisstool X BO, Some limited Alox stuffs and so on

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!

The SI is an overall better knife than the Pioneer.  For one, the blade is thicker and sturdier.  I would strongly advise you to buy the SI.

Really?  I thought the Pioneers (and Alox models in general) all had the thicker tools anyway.  So the Wenger SI's knife is even beefier than that? 
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD