Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New SwissTool CS Plus

CF1973 · 16 · 3818

Offline CF1973

New SwissTool CS Plus
on: March 29, 2008, 06:49:23 PM

I just got my first SwissTool in the mail. I had such huge high hopes, that I'm a little disappointed by 2 things. 1st it appears that it was manufactured in 1998 based on the plier head design. Here is a picture with the SwissTool and Spirit, http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii315/brentberg/S5300030_scaled.jpg I base that on the pictures and info at, https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=SwissTool+Plier+Heads. My 2nd issue, is that there is a little bit of play in each of the tool locks. Let me be clear, in no way does it feel that the locks will give, just that the tools wiggle a little bit.

I'm disappointed partly because my Spirit is absolute perfection. It has the new plier head, there is no play what so ever on the tools. As a package the SwissTool CS Plus is fantastic. The leather sheath holds tool, corkscrew and wrench in a great high quality compact package.

Am I being overly picky about the locks and plier head?

P.S. Thanks for a great site. I've been lurking for a little while now. Since starting this little adventure, I've purchased silver alox soldier(w/ led light combo), cybertool 34, spirit(w/ rally combo), SOG powerlock and now the swisstool. I also have a growing wish list.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: New SwissTool CS Plus
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 06:57:14 PM
Sorry to hear about your disappointment.  Mine has a small amount of play in the locks as well, but this does not affect the tools function at all.

To be honest, when I first received the Swisstool I liked it and I thought it was a good tool, but I didn't love it like I did my Leathermans (to be specific my Supertool).  This lasted a few weeks before something clicked and then I fell in love with Swisstool.  Now, dare I say (Dunc is grinning as I say this) the Swisstool is now my favourite tool. 

All I am saying is, give it some time and I am sure, like me, you will start to appreciate it more and more.
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 07:01:28 PM

Yep, I see what you mean about the 1998 vintage. Looks like your distributor must still have some old stock on hand. (Not that there's anything really wrong with the '98 head)

Seems like there was some talk around here recently about SwissTools with slight play in the locks. AFAIK nothing can be done to improve it unfortunately. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 07:28:34 PM
Most Swisstools have a little play in them somewhere , dont let it worry you , it wont effect the way it performs . As for the plier heads  :think: I much prefer the older ones like you have . They open further and when the pliers are deployed but closed the handles are closer to each other then the later pliers head models making them easier to grip .
If you really not happy with it why not see if someone will do a swap .

Dunc

us Offline carl

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 09:16:08 PM
I compared the Swisstool and Spirit at PLaza Cutlery (Southern California) last week and, you're right, the Swisstool locks have some play and the Spirit locks don't have any.  The Spirit's plier head had more side-to-side play than the Swisstool though (at least on the sample I saw).  I didn't pay attention to the vintage of plier head on the Swisstool but it had the round hole rather than the teardrop-shaped one for the accessory attachment.   Was that Swisstool an older version too?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 09:21:05 PM
I compared the Swisstool and Spirit at PLaza Cutlery (Southern California) last week and, you're right, the Swisstool locks have some play and the Spirit locks don't have any.  The Spirit's plier head had more side-to-side play than the Swisstool though (at least on the sample I saw).  I didn't pay attention to the vintage of plier head on the Swisstool but it had the round hole rather than the teardrop-shaped one for the accessory attachment.   Was that Swisstool an older version too?

Yep, the round hole is on the early models. I'm not sure when they changed to the teardrop hole? (for corkscrew attachment)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 09:23:16 PM
Mine is a '98 and has the corkscrew hole.
I'm back!!

us Offline carl

Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 09:28:58 PM
CF1973,
Your plier head is weaker when loosening a bolt but stronger when tightening it.  Since its strength depends on its direction of use, I prefer it stronger in the tightening direction because:
1)  I put more force on tools when tightening rather than loosening (in general).
2)  I use tools more often to tighten rather than loosen bolts.
3)  Your head opens wider as previously noted.
4)  This is all assuming that there's no room to hold the plier parallel to the bolt so the plier has to be used perpendicular to the bolt.  If there's enough room to use the plier parallel to the bolt, it doesn't matter which head you have.

us Offline carl

Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 09:42:16 PM
To the best of my recollection, the Swisstool I saw recently in-store had the older original head.  I say this because I remember the head being nice and smooth and polished fairly well - looked nice.  As you'll notice in the "Swisstool plier head" vintage thread, the newer heads have heavy tools marks.  Yes, they're thicker and stronger at the pivot but from an esthetic viewpoint, I prefer the original head.     

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 10:28:05 PM
Am I being overly picky about the locks and plier head?

P.S. Thanks for a great site. I've been lurking for a little while now. Since starting this little adventure, I've purchased silver alox soldier(w/ led light combo), cybertool 34, spirit(w/ rally combo), SOG powerlock and now the swisstool. I also have a growing wish list.

Sound's like you've got a good selection of tools already mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 10:54:38 PM
Have there been any reports of SwissTool pliers breaking?   

I've not seen one.  My SwissTool X has an older plier head and the entire tool looks stronger than any of my other multitools.  I have no worry about the pliers breaking.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 10:58:39 PM
I've never heard of any genuine cases of head failure, but even if by some miricle the tool does fail, you've got Victorinox's bullet proof warrante to fall back on :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 11:00:43 PM

I've not seen one.  My SwissTool X has an older plier head and the entire tool looks stronger than any of my other multitools.  I have no worry about the pliers breaking.

Has anyone heard of anything breaking on a Swisstool?
I'm back!!

Offline CF1973

Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 12:37:23 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. If others notice the tools can wiggle, then I'm fine with it. Additionally, it's unlikely that I will apply enough torque to break the pliers.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 04:28:01 PM

Has anyone heard of anything breaking on a Swisstool?

Along time ago someone on bladeforums said they new someone  ::) Who broke the jays on a Swisstool but he had been using them to hold some metal while welding  :pok:
   So the answer is no I have never heard anyone breaking the jaws on a Swisstool through normal use . Now let me ask you this .......   Ever seen a thread where the same question has been asked of a Gerber or Leatherman ?

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 04:40:23 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. If others notice the tools can wiggle, then I'm fine with it. Additionally, it's unlikely that I will apply enough torque to break the pliers.

A couple of times I have been doing car repairs and one time a lawn mower repair where things were'nt going right and I had to really crank down on the pliers with both hands as hard as I could  :o One time it was a case if I didnt get my car fixed then I would'nt be able to go to work the next day and loose a days money , all thought of my Swisstools welfare went out the window as I just had to get the job done . I have quite big hands and two of them cranking down on the handles as hard as I could . Thats why I love the Swisstool as I know what it can take . Although one time I did bend the screwdriver / caplifter because I selected it instead of the prybar  ::) My mistake but I straightened it and its been fine ever since .This thread may help ...

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2386.0.html

Dunc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24