Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hammer time!!

PTRSAK · 11 · 2406

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Hammer time!!
on: February 07, 2013, 09:42:19 AM
no, not the parachute pants man... striking tools.

Recently there was a bit of discussion on the fine art of peening.

One of the problems I believe many people face is not using the right tools for the job.

First you need a good SOLID backstop to place the work against.
Admittedly we are working on a smaller scale, but you don't see a blacksmith pounding away on a lightweight piece of metal clamped in a vice. He uses a large steel anvil for a reason.
You want the energy from your hammer blow to stop in the workpiece, not transfer right through and fly out like the ball on the other end of a "Newton's Cradle".
your bucking bar / dolly / riveting block / anvil,  call it what you like, needs to be many times the weight of your hammer.

To peen the "head" on pins, I put the rod in the chuck of my cordless drill with about 5mm sticking out and peen it with the drill running. It makes it easier to get an even head on the pin.
To do the "tail" once the knife is assembled I cut the pin about 1 to 1.5mm longer than flush and work around the edge with the ball end of the hammer to start the edge rolling over and finish up with the flat face. 
One of the advantages of using a small hammer is that it is easier to get only the end of the pin to expand. Too heavy a strike and the pin will expand into the pivot holes in the tools resulting in stiff joints and lack of snap.

Speaking of the weight of your hammer... just as most people have too light a backing block, they use too heavy a hammer (just talking about SAK pins here).
You will be able to have more control with a light hammer than a heavy one. and I'm talking small here. The smallest hammer I had in my toolbox was 4oz. I remember when I was working "on the tools" people used to make fun of it and call it a "tapper". It is now my BIG hammer when doing SAK mods. I also have 2oz, 1oz and even a 1/2oz jewelers hammer and that little thing does a perfectly adequate job on 58mm SAK pins.
The 2oz and 1oz were less than $18 incl postage off eBay for the pair.

Here are my hammers with a couple of items so you can gauge size.

Once you have your gear... practice, practice, practice. Get as long a length of 2.5mm brass rod as will fit in your drill chuck with no more than 5mm sticking out and peen a head on the end... then cut it off, file the end and peen another head on it...  keep going until it is too short to hold in the chuck. A couple of lengths of brass is cheap compared to any SAK you may be serious about modding.

Once you get a feel for hitting things, go buy a few beater SAKs off eBay or somewhere and rip them apart and practice on them. I bought a lot of 40 "dealer's leftovers" for $50 and had no end of fun. I pulled them apart and sorted all the liners, blades and tools into "good" "okay" and "trash" piles. I practiced on the trash, then built up the okay and good knives, kept the best few for myself and sold the rest again on eBay. In the end, even not counting the ones I kept, I easily broke even so the Spartan, Climber and Camper that I kept were essentially free. as was my practice material. I even sold some of the trash knives for $5 each.

It will also give you practice at removing and refitting scales, drilling out pins without destroying bushings and many other skills that will benefit you when you start to sit down to mod knives that you really care about.

Have fun, be crazy, build up "silly" knives like the all openers "French Army knife"   :drink: :cheers:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Hammer time!!
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 10:08:53 AM

Good post  :tu:

Everything’s adjustable

de Offline crackout

Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 10:10:46 AM
Nice arsenal! :tool:
I love dedicated tools. ^^
Say my name.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 07:15:54 PM
Nice. :D

I've been searching for a good peening hammer locally but can't find one. :(

us Offline rickinFL

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:22:54 PM
Thank you for this tutorial.

Now if I can get the tear down right, I can put this new info to work.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 07:31:55 PM
Man I just picked up a 4 oz hammer and I thought that was very tiny. 1 oz must be super light. 

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 07:56:09 PM
I bought a small hammer to do my Yeoman mod with, but I don't remember it's weight... I think it's 1 oz.  I found it to be a little too light though, and want to get a 2 oz. hammer as well to use for my next mods. 

The drill idea for peening is a good one, I hadn't thought of that.  I held the new pins in my fingers, resting them on the anvil face of my bench vise, and turned them slowly in my fingers as I peened the end.  Seems like using the drill will result in a smoother and more consistent peen.  I was considering getting a pin block for my vise though, as in many ways that would make peening a lot easier, even if I couldn't rotate the pin as I worked on it.

I've decided I'm not going to redo my Yeoman.  I mismatched the outside liner and the blade when assembling it; used the newer thinner blade, but the older liner without the indentation in it that goes with the thinner blade.  As a result, it's got a tiny bit of wiggle in it that I find incredibly annoying.   :rant:  Instead I'm going to save it for parts and have it Aloxed this coming spring.  :D 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 08:43:58 PM

The drill idea for peening is a good one, I hadn't thought of that.  I held the new pins in my fingers, resting them on the anvil face of my bench vise, and turned them slowly in my fingers as I peened the end.  Seems like using the drill will result in a smoother and more consistent peen.  I was considering getting a pin block for my vise though, as in many ways that would make peening a lot easier, even if I couldn't rotate the pin as I worked on it.

If you want to make something nice to hold pin stock for peening in a vice, here is what I recommend.  Take a small chunk of Al and drill a hole in it the size of the pin stock you want to clamp.  Then use a jewlers saw, or fine hack saw and cut a slot from the outside into the hole you drilled.  Then you can insert your rod, and put the block you made in a vice so that it gets pinched and holds the rod perfectly.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline oreogaborio

Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 12:26:29 PM
Ahhhh, nice tip, Syph.

I gotta find ways to improve my peening skills and this thread is just the ticket..  Those little 1.5mm rods for the 58mm SAK's are delicate.
-Pete

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 02:28:04 PM
That´s a nice tip.
you can take abigger piece of aluminium and drill all sizes of holes you need in aline and saw them open, soyou have one holder for all sizes.

It also works with threads, nice way to clamp bolts without damaging the thread.

Back to topic, has anyone made ahead forming peening tool and can advise on how to do it?

us Offline rickinFL

Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 08:21:52 PM
this worked perfectly.  now to attack the minichamp for disassemble.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%