Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Appreciation for the Explorer

sawman · 1162 · 89873

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #150 on: January 03, 2014, 06:59:54 PM
Explorer with added saw is a Woodsman, Explorer with added metal file is a Modeler.  Both retired sadly, but the Woodsman Lite gets close with adding a saw but swapping the magnifier for a LED.  :-\

I have heard of the Woodsman on here a couple times, but I don't think I've heard of the Modeler.  I would have liked that one :tu: 

I should add that the ideal beefy SAK I mentioned above is more or less what I went for with my Yeochamp, only at the time I didn't think I cared about having the small blade and the opener layer.  Well, now I do like them, so I kick myself for that one a bit >:(  However, overall it's really not that big of a deal as with the Yeochamp, I stick to 5 layers, but with the Explorer with the added metal file and fish scaler, that takes it to 6 layers.  I'm sure I'd cope fine with that at this point though.  I'm beginning to think I can never let myself be satisfied with what I already have :ahhh >:D ::)
K-Tibbs

Offline derv

Reply #151 on: January 03, 2014, 07:02:08 PM
I just purchased my first SAK after not really having an interest for many years. It is an Explorer, and I love it! I volunteer at a library archive and a museum where the magnifier is quite useful, one of the reasons I chose the Explorer. The blades are great for everyday use, and the inline driver/large flathead works well for removing the cowling of a Cessna when the strut needs air or the engine needs service.

I don't know why I didn't care for The SAK as I grew up/started carrying a knife...The cheesy knock-offs and weird promotional logos gave them a "cheap" look, I suppose. Now that I have a genuine SAK, though...I love it. I just visited the Victorinox store in Paris, France, and it was incredible. I wanted everything Alox, and several of the Cellidor models. Their kitchen knives are also quite nice (I love to cook) and though they are belittled by the knife guys, the Victorinox watches are actually extremely nice. Sorry for the derailment...Explorers rock!  :climber:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #152 on: January 03, 2014, 11:17:45 PM
I think we need a group shot showing the various generations of Explorers, including the Damascus.

I probably won't get chance now until the end of next week - and that's a damn shame because my  "White Explorer Plus"  is just :drool: :drool: :drool:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #153 on: January 03, 2014, 11:26:11 PM
@Monrogue

"
I'm beginning to think I can never let myself be satisfied with what I already have :ahhh >:D ::)   

I guess it's inherent to human nature never to be completely satisfied with anything, but I'm getting philisophical here so I better knock it of...  :think:

Nevertheless, the Explorer is a hell of a tool   8)   except for some minor drawbacks: I for one have no use for the corkscrew -it could have been left out as far as I'm concerned if only for esthetic reasons- and as I already mentioned the nail file should be there, whether on the hook or otherwise.

us Offline Hyatt181

Reply #154 on: January 04, 2014, 02:58:55 AM
I have enjoyed the explorer since 2000 when I saw a buddy with one and saw the phillips.
Went to local dealer and ended up with a scientist and an explorer.
now I have several and have taken them apart to add an electrician blade instead of the small blade and added a pair of pliers.
Also anodized the liners and used blue plus scales.

Have gathered all the pieces to make one with a nail file in the small blade. Will probably use a light instead of the magnifying glass across from the phillips.
I like bowls, they contain chaos.

us Offline Hyatt181

Reply #155 on: January 04, 2014, 03:01:29 AM
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:30:21 AM by Gareth »

us Offline Hyatt181

Reply #156 on: January 04, 2014, 03:04:09 AM
Modified explorer
ara7amap.jpg
* ara7amap.jpg (Filesize: 118.74 KB)

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #157 on: January 04, 2014, 03:07:22 AM
Very nice.  I like that tool setup!  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Hyatt181

Reply #158 on: January 04, 2014, 03:42:55 AM
To those who have done it. How are you putting the can and bottle openers across from the Phillips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #159 on: January 04, 2014, 04:26:10 AM
Modified explorer

Very nice :tu:  I would love the electrician's blade in place of the regular small blade.
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Ross

Reply #160 on: January 04, 2014, 04:56:11 AM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/15/qyrynega.jpg
love what you have done here.

I bought my Explorer about three months ago and was encouraged buy some of you here - like that's never happened to any one else before lol.

I've been using it non stop adapt from the 30 day climber challenge and also have taken it with me to NZ. It's been the perfect companion while away and am not sure how I am going to get home and use something else. While I have been away I've used the main blade as my meat cutting knife especially while camping and cuts a steak beautifully and the other tools for this and that - I've not used the mag yet but I would like to get an old explorer with the old mag.

I can see your views on the mag looking a little cheap but overall Love this knife - I would kill for the Woodsman though :)

This is my Explorer at the beach

us Offline abd1959

Reply #161 on: January 04, 2014, 09:30:15 AM
I carry a Climber daily but as the eyes age I find myself wishing for the magnifier. I may have to start carrying an Explorer, probably sooner than later.

Before I purchased my Explorer yesterday, I was somewhat critical about the magnifier, but it soon turned out to be a great tool. It should however have been fitted into a metal frame, but that's really the only minor concern as far is I can see.    ;)

Hear Hear!!
I've been sayin' exactly the same.  :tu:

The Explorer was the first Victorinox I ever bought (still have it). It' a shame Victorinox  never added the saw to it and maybe the file too!!

As for myself, I don't miss the saw, but it would have been nice if the nail file would have been engraved  on the back side of the hook as on the Compact. But again that's a strictly personal thing.

The magnifier looks somewhat cheap in a plastic frame, doesn't it? But it's a great tool nevertheless.   :tu:

A metal frame would be cool, and it would look more like it belonged so to speak.  As it is now, the magnifier stands out since it's not SS like the rest of the implements around it.  Minor issue though.  I too would like the metal file added, as well as the nailfile on the hook, which I have said before should be standard for all of the hooks...why it's not is beyond me.  I also like the fish scaler as a misc. type tool (don't go fishing though), and it has a ruler.  So to me, I think my ideal (beefy) SAK would be the Explorer with the fish scaler, metal file and hook nailfile added. 

The magnifier is a handy little thing :tu:  The Explorer I recently got has the old 8x glass version.  I like it, but I think I prefer the slightly larger view window of the newer version (which I have on my Yeochamp).  The only thing with that is that it's only 5x magnification, but it's probably not really a big difference, at least not from what I can tell.

When was the changeover from 8X to 5X magnifiers? Is the 8X lens glass and the 5X lens plastic?

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #162 on: January 04, 2014, 09:42:50 AM
The 8x magnifier was the older style with the grey plastic housing holding a glass lens.  When they moved over to the plastic lens (with clear housing) they changed to the 5x magnification.  Going buy my eye I'd say the new glass lens (with clear plastic housing) is still 5x magnification. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #163 on: January 04, 2014, 10:25:44 AM
The 8x magnifier was the older style with the grey plastic housing holding a glass lens.  When they moved over to the plastic lens (with clear housing) they changed to the 5x magnification.  Going buy my eye I'd say the new glass lens (with clear plastic housing) is still 5x magnification.

According to SAKWIKI:

The Magnifying Glass was first introduced in 1973 and featured a glass lens with an 8x magnification in a Grey plastic housing.

In 2007 the Magnifier was changed to a new model in a transparent plastic housing with a plastic lens and a magnification of 5x. The 2007 magnifier has a slightly lower level of magnification, and a slightly wider area of view due to the slimmer housing and lower magnification.

On the website of the shop were I purchased my Explorer however, the magnifier was advertised as an 8x. Nevertheless a magnification of 5x is sufficient for what I need the tool for.

What I would have liked to see on the Victorinox should have been similar to the magnifier on the Wenger Minathor Evo.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-browse_image.php?imageId=3113

The identifier of my Explorer is as follows: 1.6703 Victorinox AN: red Cellidor scales

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #164 on: January 04, 2014, 12:47:33 PM
Modified explorer

That does look like you could call it a Victorinox 557 :)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #165 on: January 04, 2014, 07:27:33 PM
I think we need a group shot showing the various generations of Explorers, including the Damascus.

I probably won't get chance now until the end of next week - and that's a damn shame because my  "White Explorer Plus"  is just :drool: :drool: :drool:

Well, I managed to sneak off for 5min, apologies for the quality - its pitch black here in the UK so I had to improvise using a torch  :facepalm:

Explorer 001 (Medium).jpg
* Explorer 001 (Medium).jpg (Filesize: 70 KB)
Explorer 002 (Medium).jpg
* Explorer 002 (Medium).jpg (Filesize: 59.47 KB)
Explorer 003 (Medium).jpg
* Explorer 003 (Medium).jpg (Filesize: 70.93 KB)

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #166 on: January 04, 2014, 07:29:33 PM
A couple more.....

Note the state of the end grain in the bottom picture. Quality huh  :facepalm:
Explorer 004 (Medium).jpg
* Explorer 004 (Medium).jpg (Filesize: 60.42 KB)
Explorer 005 (Medium).jpg
* Explorer 005 (Medium).jpg (Filesize: 58.48 KB)
Explorer 007 (Medium).jpg
* Explorer 007 (Medium).jpg (Filesize: 73.44 KB)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:53:54 PM by tosh »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #167 on: January 04, 2014, 10:55:22 PM

Well, I managed to sneak off for 5min, apologies for the quality - its pitch black here in the UK so I had to improvise using a torch  :facepalm:

Black - 1st Generation grey housing/glass lens
Red   - 2nd Generation plastic housing/plastic Len
Damascus - 3rd Generation plastic housing/glass lens

White - 2nd Generation with white "Plus" scales fitted  :drool: :drool:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #168 on: January 05, 2014, 12:00:56 AM

I still love the Explorer!  To me it has the best tool set for it size!  :tu:

What magnification is it on the new ones? 

The newest Explorers (and Swisschamps) have the clear housing but now have actual glass (I think) that you can pop out!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #169 on: January 05, 2014, 12:45:46 AM
Thread has inspired me.  I had this older Explorer in my box of donors.  I decided to put these sapphire scales on it. :)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #170 on: January 05, 2014, 02:21:01 AM
Nice Explorers Tosh and Mr. Whippy :tu:
K-Tibbs

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #171 on: January 19, 2014, 04:56:59 PM

@sir_mike

6x
http://b2b.victorinox.ch/A219/evolution%20of%20magnifying%20glass.pdf

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #172 on: January 19, 2014, 05:27:41 PM

@sir_mike

6x

Good info!   :)

us Offline burnside

Reply #173 on: January 19, 2014, 06:16:48 PM
This thread has inspired me to carry my 80's era red Explorer today.
 :cheers:

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #174 on: January 19, 2014, 06:39:11 PM
Soon to be EDC.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #175 on: January 19, 2014, 06:57:16 PM

@sir_mike

6x

Thanks for the info.  I was curious! :D

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #176 on: January 19, 2014, 07:08:09 PM

@sir_mike

6x

Good to know. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #177 on: January 19, 2014, 07:22:37 PM
Carl Elsener Sr. Explorer - 2013 Damascus Limited Edition.

Offline NG VI

Reply #178 on: January 19, 2014, 11:25:20 PM
The orange alox Explorer a few pages back is gorgeous!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #179 on: January 20, 2014, 02:02:44 AM
Looks good ICFT :tu:
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00