Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Appreciation for the Explorer

sawman · 1162 · 89853

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Re: Appreciation for the Explorer
Reply #180 on: January 27, 2014, 08:46:59 PM
Imagine my surprise when at work, I found my red Explorer in the pocket of my jacket, while I had my "Carl" Explorer in the pocket of my jeans! On a Monday! Great start of the week.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #181 on: January 27, 2014, 09:05:08 PM
I love finding stuff I've "lost". :D Mostly in coat pockets that I haven't carried in months. ;)

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #182 on: January 28, 2014, 03:34:09 AM
Having a 91mm alox explorer made up right not, Vic guts and China alox scales.
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #183 on: January 28, 2014, 03:50:04 AM
I love finding stuff I've "lost". :D Mostly in coat pockets that I haven't carried in months. ;)

Me too.

Strangely enough it's almost always money I find and once in a while a lighter or two.    :D

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #184 on: February 02, 2014, 01:31:44 AM
3 quick cell phone pics under florescent light, but they look ok.  I'll try for better pictures tomorrow.

Second day carrying my C.E. 2013 Explorer.  I've sanded it, 3 applications of mineral oil, and very light waxing.  Feels great, looks great. We're going to get on fine I believe.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #185 on: February 02, 2014, 02:11:54 AM
I much prefer my 2 explorers(grey mag glass and clear mag glass with plus scales) to the yeoman Ive owned for a few hours.  So much is to be said about the 2 tools instead of the combo tool.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #186 on: February 02, 2014, 02:15:55 AM
I much prefer my 2 explorers(grey mag glass and clear mag glass with plus scales) to the yeoman Ive owned for a few hours.  So much is to be said about the 2 tools instead of the combo tool.

Honestly, I have to agree with you there.  I use the can opener a lot at work, and the flat driver is a great pry tool, something I'm afraid to use the combo tool for.  It's not like four layers bothers me at all, I regularly pocket carry a Swisschamp.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #187 on: February 02, 2014, 07:18:16 AM

After carrying knives with a combo tool for years, recently my opinion has changed to reflect yours.  It's three tools, BTW...don't forget about the awl.
- Terry

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #188 on: February 02, 2014, 10:26:15 AM

After carrying knives with a combo tool for years, recently my opinion has changed to reflect yours.  It's three tools, BTW...don't forget about the awl.
+1
And small blade. So much better SAK with just 1 more layer Explorer is apsolute winner.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #189 on: February 02, 2014, 12:41:20 PM

+1
And small blade. So much better SAK with just 1 more layer Explorer is apsolute winner.

:cheers: Indeed.

However, I do find that the Yeoman is noticeably more pocket friendly than the Explorer.  If I am pairing the SAK with another multitool having an awl and screwdrivers, I will carry it instead.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:46:00 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #190 on: February 02, 2014, 04:29:27 PM

+1

However, I do find that the Yeoman is noticeably more pocket friendly than the Explorer.  If I am pairing the SAK with another multitool having an awl and screwdrivers, I will carry it instead.

The scientist on the other hand, is as about as slim as a waiter and compared to the yeoman, you only lose the scizzors and awl

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #191 on: February 02, 2014, 04:49:40 PM
I also prefer the two separate tools. They're infinitely more useful than a combo tool.
SAW

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #192 on: February 02, 2014, 04:56:41 PM
I also prefer the two separate tools. They're infinitely more useful than a combo tool.

I agree. Except for the 108 mm. combo, it simply looks somewhat flimsy to me.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #193 on: February 02, 2014, 05:15:36 PM

+1

The scientist on the other hand, is as about as slim as a waiter and compared to the yeoman, you only lose the scizzors and awl

True, or you could go the Passenger route and, compared the Explorer you only lose the scissors and hook, and keep the openers and awl.

Yeoman, Passenger, Scientist... These are all some of my favorite SAKs, and it's a shame that the Explorer is the only one still produced from the same family!
- Terry

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #194 on: February 02, 2014, 05:19:35 PM
Yeoman, Passenger, Scientist... These are all some of my favorite SAKs, and it's a shame that the Explorer is the only one still produced from the same family!

Agree  :rant:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #195 on: February 02, 2014, 08:02:30 PM
I agree. Except for the 108 mm. combo, it simply looks somewhat flimsy to me.

I really liked the Compact when I first picked it up. The combo tool made an excellent can opener, which I needed almost every day. Unfortunately, the first time I really cranked a tough screw...

Anyway, now that I'm comfortably out of the construction labourer business, I'm trying to talk myself out of carrying a Victorinox with a saw. I love the saw to pieces, but have only used it twice since September, and my satchel has a Rebar and Forester in it anyway. I'm thining of an Exporer or a Climber. I've always kind of liked the idea of having the magnifying glass...

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #196 on: February 02, 2014, 09:49:49 PM
Like some others on here my thinking as evolved on the Yeoman a bit from use of many different SAKs.  However for me the Yeoman is still a great knife, and I still love it for what it is.

For one, I've never been impressed with the drivers on a SAK.  I've grown up from electronics to computers and general tinker'r.  I've always used quality hand tools, and my tool kit is stocked with really nice drivers, and I recently even updated a few of them and replaced a couple I had from when I was a kid in my early teens as the edges were damaged from my own heavy use, and sometimes abuse.  The SAK flat screwdriver is several times too wide for any screws I tend to want to fiddle with.

As mentioned also if the SAK is paired with another tool, the considerations can change quite a bit.  The real sad thing is the reduction in the number of different models which means they each become a bit more homogenized making them less ideal in more situations even if they cover a wider variety of situations.

One thing I've really come to appreciate is the small blade on a SAK.  So to me this might be the most important difference.  In fact, as mentioned in by others in other threads, I'm coming to think that Victorinox should offer models with the option of a serrated small blade.  If there is any one simple change to the Explorer than would improve it, it would be a small serrated blade.  It would have been so cool if the C.E. Explorer had both a Damascus main blade and a serrated small blade... or even a serrated Damascus small blade.

The inline Phillips driver on a SAK while too soft and not good for precision equipment, does get some use by me and since the world has not outlawed this rediculus drive system and while the incompatible variations continue to expand the original out-dated version continues to be used.  As such having such a driver handy can be useful.

The larger driver is also so outdated and too soft, but other than the blades and the cap-lifter I feel all the other SAK tools are just tools to be used as is required at the time.  In this light, the cap-lifter is a useful tool, an it can be modified into more specific tools more easily as needed.  The combo tool is a much better cap-lifter, but not as good a general thing-a-ma-jig tool for other uses.

The magnifier is also a less versitile tool, but I like it for what it is.  I tend to like SAKs with a Magnifier even though it fits in a rather wide layer.

A reamer (even the 91mm version) is a very useful tool, the 93mm version is the best.  In fact I used the 93mm version a lot, more like a small blade for package opening and other stuff.  It actually taught me how useful the small blade on a 91mm SAK would be as I often use to carry those without one.  When I didn't have a 93mm Alox on me I missed the small-blade or Reamer.

So the summary is that I like my Yeomans, they pair great, and they are quite slim when that is what I need.  Often a Yeoman is all I personally need.  Based on other knives I've carried and used I believe I will like the Explorer, although I've never EDC'd one before and never even used one much as I tended to use the Champion plus or other lage knife when I needed a mag glass or I used a Yeoman.  Since I have the best Yeoman in the world (custom Bushido's Ti) it's hard to not pick that up when I need a mag glass.

I was planning on writing about my year+ with the Battle Series Climber that some how ended up replacing Alox as my EDC, and now ending up with the C.E. Explorer as my EDC for at least a year. However; I'm not likely to get to that, because it just sort of happened I didn't plan it that way it was not a choice based much on needs at all.  Except I need scissors, my EDC must have good scissors.  I also almost always have a Spirit with-in reach, I always have my keychain vagabond. At least 1/2 the year I probably have a 111mm Soldier on me in my coat pocket.  It's possible I might have others on any given day.  MY EDC though is in my pants pocket, usually dedicated pocket. Anyway I forgot what i was going to say that was actually on topic, it had something to do with why I'm carrying the Explorer, and why I'm quite sure I'll be happy with it, and that is even though I love the Alox knives... in fact I'm going to go open a package from Syph007.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:58:03 PM by ICanFixThat »

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #197 on: February 02, 2014, 10:25:16 PM
The combo tool is a much better cap-lifter

How so?  My experience with the two tools over many years has shown that the dedicated cap lifter works better for me.
- Terry

gb Offline Philby

Reply #198 on: February 02, 2014, 10:33:06 PM
Also the less layers you have, the more the Sak flexes when you use the screw drivers. For me any less than 4 layers and the Sak feels a lot less solid.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #199 on: February 03, 2014, 03:20:56 AM

How so?  My experience with the two tools over many years has shown that the dedicated cap lifter works better for me.
My experience is the standard cap-lifter usually takes two passes to complete the job, the combo tool seems to slip less often more often getting it done in one go.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #200 on: February 03, 2014, 04:43:38 AM

My experience is the standard cap-lifter usually takes two passes to complete the job, the combo tool seems to slip less often more often getting it done in one go.

Oddly, my experience is exactly the opposite.  It must be a difference in technique...
- Terry

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #201 on: February 04, 2014, 02:57:21 AM
My alox explorer is on the way!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #202 on: February 04, 2014, 03:09:58 AM

Alox Explorer.... :drool:

us Online Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #203 on: February 04, 2014, 04:53:06 AM

Alox Explorer.... :drool:

I think if I'm ever able to get another Alox custom, it would have to be an Explorer, likely with a nailfile in place of the small blade or awl. 
K-Tibbs

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #204 on: February 05, 2014, 11:55:21 PM
A few teasers til I make a proper post:

Thinner than a Yeoman!

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #205 on: February 06, 2014, 12:05:14 AM
papercut  :tu:

us Offline burnside

Reply #206 on: February 06, 2014, 01:42:31 AM
very cool  :cheers:

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #207 on: February 06, 2014, 08:13:26 AM
Looking good. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Ross

Reply #208 on: February 07, 2014, 06:42:55 PM
Have to say the Explorer is so far hand down the perfect knife for me. Want to get my hand on ONS with the only style mag.  I took mine to NZ with me so used for a month, since I have been home I have been using different knifes like my soldier 82 and my weekender but I find myself going to grab the Explorer time and time again. Tonight I have just opened a bottle of wine (lucky my favourite wine still had a cork) and without thinking I've graded my Explorer. I must admit it's not in great shape since after been thrown around in my suitcase the front scale now no longer stays on and I lost the toothpick ahhhhhhhhhh but I love it. Time will tell if it stays my favourite but for now it is.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #209 on: February 07, 2014, 07:15:15 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

my explorer out exploring  :P

That is WICKED ! Hella nice explorer . :)

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44